aberdeen-music

Siouxsie and the Banshees Reissues

NARC

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you ask. You stop being young when you are 30. As you get older you will regress' date=' ie you will gradually rediscover the music of your youth, whereas when you were young you gradually discovered new music. If you are still listening to the music of your youth, it is because you neglected to embrace new music in your late-20s.

It is acceptable for you to listen to new music, but not cool, young pop bands. If they are not offending the bourgeoning bourgeois sensibilities of a 32 year-old, then they are not as perfect as I had thought, or you have resisted bourgeois sensibilities (in which case, well done)

Your diet of post-rock and Sonic Youth is what I'd expect, but you might find some room for a singer-songwriter or two, or some timeless classics from the late-60s[/quote']

I've been pissing myself laughing all weekend at this reponse and I thought I'd try to formulate a coherent reply in the at time.

But, no - I read it again & i've started pissing myself laughing.

Thanks for making my Monday get off to a good start!

As Zeenat said - you'll fit right in at the NME. Your self importance & your love of all things "happening", as opposed to anything meaningful should ensure an interesting couple of years there - before the next "hip young gunslinger" comes along & makes you feel old & past it.

Guest bluesxman
I'm glad you ask. You stop being young when you are 30. As you get older you will regress' date=' ie you will gradually rediscover the music of your youth, whereas when you were young you gradually discovered new music. If you are still listening to the music of your youth, it is because you neglected to embrace new music in your late-20s.

It is acceptable for you to listen to new music, but not cool, young pop bands. If they are not offending the bourgeoning bourgeois sensibilities of a 32 year-old, then they are not as perfect as I had thought, or you have resisted bourgeois sensibilities (in which case, well done)

Your diet of post-rock and Sonic Youth is what I'd expect, but you might find some room for a singer-songwriter or two, or some timeless classics from the late-60s[/quote']

You're an idiot.

Guest Zeenat Aman
no I mean they should split up when they run out of ideas instead of flogging a dead horse

Indeed, but with the option to reform when new inspiration strikes that only that band/group of people could play. Even then, a new name may be best to compliment the new aproach perhaps.

Guest bluesxman
Guest Zeenat Aman
Sorry to say' date=' but your NOW-ility is diminished due to the fact that you have 'hung out' with someone who see's 1969 as the best year for music thus far.

popTart rule 20,364 ie.[/quote']

Dammit, Phil, that's the last time I accept a drink from you! You're blowing my cool! :down:

Then again, I'm too old to be young so maybe I should bow to the inevitable & not bother buying CDs like The Juan Maclean.

I was thinking about the "old at 30" comment made earlier - it's sort of funny that "The Kids" are listening to Interpol, with their 34 year old bassist and Nine Inch Nails, with their 40 year old singer. Hell, even James Murphy of LCD Soundsytem & The DFA is 32!

Don't they know when to give up????

Dammit' date=' Phil, that's the last time I accept a drink from you! You're blowing my cool! :down:

Then again, I'm too old to be young so maybe I should bow to the inevitable & not bother buying CDs like The Juan Maclean.

I was thinking about the "old at 30" comment made earlier - it's sort of funny that "The Kids" are listening to Interpol, with their 34 year old bassist and Nine Inch Nails, with their 40 year old singer. Hell, even James Murphy of LCD Soundsytem & The DFA is 32!

Don't they know when to give up????[/quote']

I'm not arguing with you, but Carlos isn't 34, I'm pretty sure he's 29, along with Kessler. Sam is 36 though!

Guest Steve Irwin

is poptart ancient mariner??

the same person who dresses like his favourite band interpol?

the same person who uses a local music messageboard to try and convince himself that he is intelligent and has a clue about music?

if its not size 28 it doesnt fit and thats that.... sigh

thought so...

Really??!? I don't see how suggesting that today youngsters shouldn't look back to bands from the past would cause this nostalgic trend. And i thought you were a smart kind of guy Del.

i think i better explain meself better here! what i was getting at was that there is an awful amount of nostalgia kicking about. we're bombared with compilation albums and TV programmes of lists which celebrate how good things were in the past. thats what i was getting at and not suggesting youngster shouldnt look back to the past for influences, does that make more sense?

i also think they are relevant today, and will always continue to be so. I hear their influence in groups like the yeh yeh yehs, and the aforementioned "grunge" and "nu metal" genres. As much as i don't like a lot of the bands they influenced, i have never chosen to listen to music by looking for what is considered relevant or not so. What the hell is relevant? Whatever i take from the music, and whatever they get from making it. That to me is whats important.

i think i better explain meself better here! what i was getting at was that there is an awful amount of nostalgia kicking about. we're bombared with compilation albums and TV programmes of lists which celebrate how good things were in the past. thats what i was getting at and not suggesting youngster shouldnt look back to the past for influences' date=' does that make more sense?[/quote']

It does, well done.

is poptart ancient mariner??

the same person who dresses like his favourite band interpol?

the same person who uses a local music messageboard to try and convince himself that he is intelligent and has a clue about music?

if its not size 28 it doesnt fit and thats that.... sigh

thought so...

Who the hell are you? How do you know how he dresses?

Would it have made it clearer for you kids (and those aged 30 and over) if I'd punctuated each point with: ;) ? It's the best there is in the absence of a smilie with a bulge in one cheek pouch (haha, no, not *insert hate figure here*'s cock in my mouth)

Neil, can I be banned for incitement? It's so much cooler than asking to have my account deleted (I don't think I need the smilie here, do I? Ok, just for betamax and french_disko ;) )

Would it have made it clearer for you kids (and those aged 30 and over) if I'd punctuated each point with: ;) ? It's the best there is in the absence of a smilie with a bulge in one cheek pouch (haha' date=' no, not *insert hate figure here*'s cock in my mouth)

Neil, can I be banned for incitement? It's so much cooler than asking to have my account deleted (I don't think I need the smilie here, do I? Ok, just for betamax and french_disko ;) )[/quote']

Is there an icon for the furious sound of backtracking?

you may need it.