aberdeen-music

Siouxsie and the Banshees Reissues

NARC

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You missed out The Bravery. Ive never actually seen a worse live band.

I deliberately never mentioned The Bravery' date=' Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, The Killers or The Departure, as these are the actual opportunists, and they have no interest in advancing the existing pop template, only in becoming pop stars. They are your enemy and not The Futureheads

Also, the fact we are still talking about the Banshees now says it all. Who will give a fuck about Interpol in 2030??? i cant imagine some future thread in 25 years from now debating forgotten copy bands from 2005 that were top shop fashionable for 3 months

As I've said, it's right that bands should disappear shortly after releasing their modernity-defining (I should never have used the word "era") singles, rather than out-stay their welcome. It may be testament to the fact that the Banshees did out stay their welcome and became old and embarrassing and part of the establishment, that no radical bands advanced on their example at the time. It has taken 25 years for this to happen

Interpol will live on if they inspire a new generation of young bands, and I think they will

Interpol will live on if they inspire a new generation of young bands' date=' and I think they will[/quote']

Im liking this quote

"A band like Franz Ferdinand are very interesting," says Andy Ross, Blur's Food Records boss in the 1990s, "but a band influenced by Franz Ferdinand are obviously going to be less interesting, and diminishing returns set in until you reach a point where pop music is over."

Again, you miss the point! The people on this thread like Siouxsie and the Banshees for what they were when they were contemporary. No-one's denying they would be old and embarrassing if they were to play nowadays! I'm not 46, so their records are all I've got!

The people on this thread like Siouxsie and the Banshees for what they were when they were contemporary. No-one's denying they would be old and embarrassing if they were to play nowadays! I'm not 46' date=' so their records are all I've got![/quote']

I am missing the point; you like the Banshees because they were once contemporary? Now they no longer are, what do their records offer, other than - to quote Dave - " a curiosity of a bygone age"

The Banshees became embarrassing long before now

Will they?

What are they doing that's so era defining or original?

As much as I enjoy Interpol' date=' they're simply a retread of a handful of bands that came 25 years before them.[/quote']

They're not a retread. They share only some of the elements of bands that came 25 years before them, but more importantly they share their spirit of producing accessible songs that are also original

Why they're original is quite technical, for example very few of their songs have obvious choruses, and sometimes they don't even repeat verses. They have numerous tempo shifts and breakdowns in their songs, with very few following one consistent groove

This sounds original to me, but some of you may point out that it was done 25 years ago. In that case, I'll listen to the old records to find this out, but not to enjoy them

Guest neil ex

What's this about pop bands should be disappearing after a short while? All these bands you're name checking will disappear after a short while because they lack substance. They're just commercial whores, not interested in making music, but interested in being famous, and looking cool (going by your definition of pop, pop has nothing to do with music). Big Brother Bands. These bands are lapped up by naive dumb kids (kids - regardless of age) who are fed poison by the mother superior (eNeMEy is a good example). The eNeMEy is just a good business, in that they've worked up such a respectable mass rep, that they could probably print whatever the fuck they wanted, and it would still get lapped up. Exploitation. *No one's right to like anything - you either like something or you don't*. Kill Rockstars! They are all liars!

It's almost like you're trying to say that.. except this part *

In conclusion - Listen to what you like!

Im liking this quote

"A band like Franz Ferdinand are very interesting' date='" says Andy Ross, Blur's Food Records boss in the 1990s, "but a band influenced by Franz Ferdinand [b']are obviously going to be less interesting, and diminishing returns set in until you reach a point where pop music is over."

There are no current bands who are influenced by Franz Ferdinand. The current bands that sound vaguely like them were given their break after the success of Franz Ferdinand, but I'd bet they were already doing what they were doing before they'd heard Franz Ferdinand

If there are to be bands influenced by Franz Ferdinand and Interpol, they may take a few years to appear. It is perhaps more natural for aspiring young bands to rebel against what came immediately before (like Britpop rebelled against the progressive nature of Acid House) rather than progress on from them. It hopefully won't take another 25 years for the progression to happen, but when it does, I'll advocate young people listen to the bands of the moment, while I'll nostalgically revist the records of my youth (Interpol etc.)

What's this about pop bands should be disappearing after a short while? All these bands you're name checking will disappear after a short while because they lack substance. They're just commercial whores' date=' not interested in making music, but interested in being famous, and looking cool (going by your definition of pop, pop has nothing to do with music). Big Brother Bands. These bands are lapped up by naive dumb kids (kids - regardless of age) who are fed poison by the mother superior (eNeMEy is a good example). The eNeMEy is just a good business, in that they've worked up such a respectable mass rep, that they could probably print whatever the fuck they wanted, and it would still get lapped up. Exploitation. *No one's right to like anything - you either like something or you don't*. Kill Rockstars! They are all liars!

It's almost like you're trying to say that.. except this part *

In conclusion - Listen to what you like![/quote']

Pop is disposable. There is nothing in it's combination of notes and noise that gives any particular example of it such substance that it deserves to trouble our conscience for any length of time. Just because your Aberfeldy don't care about being pop stars doesn't mean that their combination of notes and noise has any more substance than that by any other band.

You may not have cared about being cool, Yousef, but the fact that you asked for approval on wearing Dr.Martens with your trademark drainpipes suggests you're getting there! If you don't embrace trends and fashion now, then you will regret it when you are old, as it's all part of the whirlwind of fun that comes with being young and free :partyboy:

I am missing the point; you like the Banshees because they were once contemporary? Now they no longer are' date=' what do their records offer, other than - to quote Dave - " a curiosity of a bygone age"

The Banshees became embarrassing long before now[/quote']

No, I do not like them because they were once contemporary, I like them because they were good when they were contemporary; a subtle difference. You, on the other hand, appear to like bands simply because they are contemporary.

Guest neil ex

You may not have cared about being cool' date=' Yousef, but the fact that you asked for approval on wearing Dr.Martens with your trademark drainpipes suggests you're getting there! If you don't embrace trends and fashion now, then you will regret it when you are old, as it's all part of the whirlwind of fun that comes with being young and free :partyboy:[/quote']

Nah I have cared about being cool. Just like probably everyone has growing up, but I've grown out of it. I'm happier being my own person, and anyone I'd like to impress would be someone that would be impressed by who I am. From personal experience, regret comes from trying to be cool.

but the fact that you asked for approval on wearing Dr.Martens with your trademark drainpipes suggests you're getting there

he he.. was that at T in the Park?

You' date=' on the other hand, appear to like bands simply because they [i']are contemporary.

I don't like bands, I like songs, those which are contemporary, cool, catchy and danceable. I can see no other reason to cock my ear to the speaker

Btw, when am I getting Porcupine back? I sure as hell have no reason to listen to it, but it's a nice relic to have gathering dust in the loft

Guest neil ex
Pop is disposable. There is nothing in it's combination of notes and noise that gives any particular example of it such substance that it deserves to trouble our conscience for any length of time. Just because your Aberfeldy don't care about being pop stars doesn't mean that their combination of notes and noise has any more substance than that by any other band.

Well The Smiths are one of my favourite bands, and I keep on playing their albums. I think they're relevant today. So we'll just have to agree to disagree on that..

I agree with your last point though, but Aberfeldy do!! (he he)

Nah I have cared about being cool. Just like probably everyone has growing up' date=' but I've grown out of it. I'm happier being my own person, and anyone I'd like to impress would be someone that would be impressed by who I am. From personal experience, regret comes from trying to be cool.

[/quote']

To quote the new Departure single, you've got it all mapped out. There's no need to worry about a wife yet. You're a bit older than me, but you're still young, there's plenty of time for that!

he he.. was that at T in the Park?

It was at Zippy's bash. I gave it my approval, btw

Guest neil ex
is their an argument goin on here i cant be bothered reading the thread>

No arguments.. We're having a discussion.

I'm out for now though.. I don't like spending too much time on this website!