aberdeen-music

Siouxsie and the Banshees Reissues

NARC

Roll on the post-punk reissue machine....

SIOUXSIE & THE BANSHEES RE-RELEASE ENTIRE CATALOGUE

SIOUXSIE & THE BANSHEESs entire album back catalogue has been digitally re-mastered and will be reissued over the next year.

The series will kick off with the re-release of debut The Scream on October 3.

The album will also come backed with a second CD of period rarities.

Originally released in November 1978, The Scream featured the tracks Switch, Jigsaw Feeling and a cover of The Beatles Helter Skelter.

The second bonus CD will include the first ever release of the early Banshees live favourite Make Up To Break Up, the two 1978 John Peel sessions, the bands first two single Hong Kong Garden and Staircase (Mystery) as well as five prototype tracks from The Scream, recorded at Pathway Studios.

The full tracklisting for the reissued The Scream is:

Disc One

Pure

Jigsaw Feeling

Overground

Carcass

Helter Skelter

Mirage

Metal Postcard

Nicotine Stain

Suburban Relapse

Switch

Disc Two

Make Up To Break Up (Riverside Session)

Love In A Void (Peel Session)

Mirage (Peel Session)

Metal Postcard (Peel Session)

Suburban Relapse (Peel Session)

Hong Kong Garden (Peel Session)

Overground (Peel Session)

Carcass (Peel Session)

Helter Skelter (Peel Session)

Metal Postcard (Pathway Session)

Suburban Relapse (Pathway Session)

Staircase (Mystery) (Pathway Session)

Mirage (Pathway Session)

Nicotine Stain (Pathway Session)

Hong Kong Garden (7 Single Version)

Staircase (Mystery) (7 Single Version)

From NME.com

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roll on the post-punk reissue machine....

I've got The Cure ones that have been reissued in the last few months, they're particulary good.

I also feel less ripped off buying them than I do when purchasing the "Ten Year Anniversarry" editions of CDs that I bought 10 years ago, such as Jeff Buckley & DJ Shadow.

Think I'll get the Banshees ones as well.

Guest Les Stroszek

Yeah id like to buy the Banshees and Cure reissues but the cheapest price available is 15.99 in One Up (for the Cure ones). Most shops are selling them for 19.99. I can't pay that when I already own the original albums.

cool

essential

ive got the sessions on bootleg cassettes and thay are utterely fantastic but sooo worn out ill def rush out and buy this one

I couldn't think of a more inaccurate way of describing them. They were the totally bland Goth also rans alongside Bauhaus, all style over substance, especially Siouxsie with her inane pseudo-controversial lyrics. No better than all the supposed rip-off bands who you currently criticise.

Yeah id like to buy the Banshees and Cure reissues but the cheapest price available is 15.99 in One Up (for the Cure ones). Most shops are selling them for 19.99. I can't pay that when I already own the original albums.

I bought all The Cure ones on CD-wow & they cost me 9.99 each from this link -

http://www.cd-wow.com/promotion.php?promo_refcode=12774_1&id=96775-93030-90536-65047-29736

You may have to delete your Cookies & Temp I'net Files for it to work right though.

I couldn't think of a more inaccurate way of describing them. They were the totally bland Goth also rans alongside Bauhaus' date=' all style over substance, especially Siouxsie with her inane pseudo-controversial lyrics. No better than all the supposed rip-off bands who you currently criticise.[/quote']

Listen to Hong Kong garden in the context of the year it was first released 1978 - Totally Original

Listen to Bela Lugosis Dead in the context of the year it was first released 1979/80 - Totally Original

Neither band were cited as Goths at the time given Goths didnt actually exist. More part of the Art Punk movement.

Ok, so later on, a bunch of middle class cross dressing vampire obsessed self harming fannies retrospectively adopted the pioneers of the dark sounds of post punk / art punk as a fashion accessory (about 10 years later?), but that was nothing to with the bands, nor does it lessen their influence in a time when the world was dancing to shit like Billy Joel and Madness.

Bauhaus actually played on the same bill your beloved Gang of Four* a few times in 1981 the year before both got their 2 whole weeks of commercial success.

Both bands, while neither the best of their type, absolutely shit on the piss poor Kaiser Cheifs etc

*I too rate GOF, always have, just not the bands who have ripped them off, and the people who now think its cool to suddenly say they were cool, to appear cool. They were never cool thankfully. Just very fucking good.

like wise, even 15.99 is a rip off for something thats already been sold once, and its too much to pay for the peel sessions alone

scam

piracy is the way ahead

I've got The Cure ones that have been reissued in the last few months' date=' they're particulary good.

I also feel less ripped off buying them than I do when purchasing the "Ten Year Anniversarry" editions of CDs that I bought 10 years ago, such as Jeff Buckley & DJ Shadow.

Think I'll get the Banshees ones as well.[/quote']

I do fancy the Cure ones, I must admit, but I have most of the original ones anyway in some shape or form, so it's quite far down the list of purchases for me right now..

I think the Banshees are fantastic. To say they are no better than rip-offs is incredibly stupid, considering they were an integral part of the post punk movement of the time. As for gothic also rans, I agree with Betamax in that you can't say that they were particularly imitating anything at that point in time, bands like Korn rather being pseudo-gothic. As for bland, you're having a laugh? From what I've seen (very little, admittedly), intriguing live performers, understanders of the idea that a concert has to be a "show". Even more notable for being one of the few relatively successful bands of this genre to feature a female vocalist. Great singles band.

Listen to Hong Kong garden in the context of the year it was first released 1978 - Totally Original

Listen to Bela Lugosis Dead in the context of the year it was first released 1979/80 - Totally Original

Neither band were cited as Goths at the time given Goths didnt actually exist. More part of the Art Punk movement.

Ok' date=' so later on, a bunch of middle class cross dressing vampire obsessed self harming fannies retrospectively adopted the pioneers of the dark sounds of post punk / art punk as a fashion accessory (about 10 years later?), but that was nothing to with the bands, nor does it lessen their influence in a time when the world was dancing to shit like Billy Joel and Madness.

Bauhaus actually played on the same bill your beloved Gang of Four* a few times in 1981 the year before both got their 2 whole weeks of commercial success.

Both bands, while neither the best of their type, absolutely shit on the piss poor Kaiser Cheifs etc

*I too rate GOF, always have, just not the bands who have ripped them off, and the people who now think its cool to suddenly say they were cool, to appear cool. They were never cool thankfully. Just very fucking good.[/quote']

I don't rate Gang of Four at all you twit. And i don't rate the Kaiser Chiefs nor rate any band who sounds like them.

I do fancy the Cure ones' date=' I must admit, but I have most of the original ones anyway in some shape or form, so it's quite far down the list of purchases for me right now..

I think the Banshees are fantastic. To say they are no better than rip-offs is incredibly stupid, considering they were an integral part of the post punk movement of the time. As for gothic also rans, I agree with Betamax in that you can't say that they were particularly imitating anything at that point in time, bands like Korn rather being pseudo-gothic. As for bland, you're having a laugh? From what I've seen (very little, admittedly), intriguing live performers, understanders of the idea that a concert has to be a "show". Even more notable for being one of the few relatively successful bands of this genre to feature a female vocalist. Great singles band.[/quote']

You fool, i'm not saying they were ripping off anyone. I'm just saying they are no better than those rip-offs cause they are all style over substance. And the fact that a band are good to watch on stage doesn't make them anything more than bland on record, and nor do factors such as having a female vocalist.

You fool' date=' i'm not saying they were ripping off anyone. I'm just saying they are no better than those rip-offs cause they are all style over substance. And the fact that a band are good to watch on stage doesn't make them anything more than bland on record, and nor do factors such as having a female vocalist.[/quote']

That's not true in my opinion, because I think they have songs that back up their individual style, and fit well with it too.

I'm not saying a female vocalist means they should gain any extra merit, but coupled with one of the most (the most?) innovative guitarists of the era, John McGeoch, then you have a combination anything but bland.

you also have no clue what your talking about

again

Quite incorrect. For you to say they are essential is the biggest heap of bollocks ever, they were also rans in the same way that I'll say Interpol are also rans, they had no cultural significance, fair enough if they have personal importance to you, but to say they are plain essential is nonsense.

I think what Betamax is meaning is that a) It is essential for any Siouxsie fan to own this album b) perhaps also essential for fans of the era 1978-83' date=' let's say, to give it a try.[/quote']

That's not clear. Perhaps Betamax will enlighten us? But i still think it's ridiculous to say b).

they had no cultural significance

erm, other than creating the whole teenage fashion of black, more black and even more black, a look that has never ever gone away

plus Siouxsie was a unique and provocative fashion icon of her time and is still recognised for that now (ok she had the help of Viv Westwood)....certainly more culturaly significant than Britney Spears or even Alison Goldfrappe.

In a smaller way so was Pete Murphy albeit more a gay icon in a poor mans Bowie sense

and that whole dark dischordant guitar sound? where the fuck do you think that came from?

no cultural significance my ass :laughing:

Guest Zeenat Aman

Jeez, someones in the mood for arguing eh? < for Jimmy J :D

Never really been a fan of them, but I've liked a few of their songs when I've heard them on the radio or tv. Their cover of 'Dear Prudence' is terrible though.

That's not clear. Perhaps Betamax will enlighten us? But i still think it's ridiculous to say b).

Id stick with b)

cos even the one track ''Love in a Void'' from the Peel sessions is probably one of the most defining sounds or recordings of that era - a single moment when punk actually took a rare leap forwards into something new

listen to it and refuse to get goosebumps or start a spazz dance

not possible

We don't all feel we should like whole scenes rather than just individual bands.

Never suggested that at all, it's a valid point to point someone towards a certain band if you like others of a similar era/sound. I'm sure you have discovered plenty of bands that way.

Hang on...pseudo controversial? If it's not Siouxsie Sioux, then it's Jimmy Jazz...what is the world coming to?

erm' date=' other than creating the whole teenage fashion of black, more black and even more black, a look that has never ever gone away

plus Siouxsie was a unique and provocative fashion icon of her time and is still recognised for that now (ok she had the help of Viv Westwood)....certainly more culturaly significant than Britney Spears or even Alison Goldfrappe.

In a smaller way so was Pete Murphy albeit more a gay icon in a poor mans Bowie sense

and that whole dark dischordant guitar sound? where the fuck do you think that came from?

no cultural significance my ass :laughing:[/quote']

It didn't come from the Banshees than it did any other band of the time and Banshees would have to be one of the least namechecked influences these days. The teenage fashion of lots of black existed before goth, with the proto-metal bands of the 70s and even the Velvet Underground as did the dark dischordant guitar. And how many people even knows or care who Pete Murphy was/is either? And Siouxsie is only known for her Sex Pistols connection, nothing to do with the Banshees themselves.

Never suggested that at all' date=' it's a valid point to point someone towards a certain band if you like others of a similar era/sound. I'm sure you have discovered plenty of bands that way.

Hang on...pseudo controversial? If it's not Siouxsie Sioux, then it's Jimmy Jazz...what is the world coming to?[/quote']

Are the Banshees so unchallengable that to do so is controversial? Of course they are i mean they have been round for ages and all that ain't they?