aberdeen-music

Corgan Storms Offstage

psydoll

So much for reforming the Pumpkins eh?

BILLY CORGAN stormed offstage during a gig last night in MELBOURNE (July 26).

The ex-Smashing Pumpkins singer was performing at the citys Palais Theatre when fans began shouting for songs by his former band.

According to Undercover.com one audience member yelled Play some Pumpkins before Corgan retorted Can I live my life for today?

A fan claimed that someone else later yelled We want rock and the singer told him to ask for his money back.

Nearing the close of the gig' date=' another request for Smashing Pumpkins songs led Corgan to say Fuck this, and put his microphone down before walking offstage.

Corgan is currently in the middle of his Australian tour, which hits Sydneys Enmore Theatre tonight (July 27).[/quote']

Scenario

"That was then this is now" He shouts

'yeah but we don't like your new stuff William!" Shout back the audience

'Stamps feet and walks off stage in tears at the fact that he was once in a popular band'

Poor guy.

I haven't heard his latest stuff so I can't comment. I can have a laugh though...

:laughing:

i find his new stuff is quite similar to the adore album by the pumpkins. Its still early days, but if i'm honest i didn't like the last pumpkins album, so i couldn't care less if they came back and made another like it. Billys been surrounded by sychophants , the press and mad hose beasts for half his life, bein considered one of the original "grunge" boys n all. I don't blame him bein pissed off, but he should have gritted his teeth and finished the gig. At least for the folks who were their for him, and not just the pumpkins, though i wonder how many of them there were...

I don't blame him bein pissed off' date=' but he should have gritted his teeth and finished the gig.[/quote']

But in all honesty, i think he just made the whole reform comment to get a bit of publicity, remind folk he's still there, it was just a matter of weeks after the release of his first solo album, he should of expected to recieve that kind of backlash. Once the public had a taste for a quite frankly massive revelation like this, it was hardly just going to take a backseat for the rest of Corgan's solo tour. To be honest i'm surprised he's not used to hearing heckles like that on a daily basis, and even more surprised he's not man enough to deal with it and carry on.

I do, and don't blame him.

I think he should have expected those comments after announcing that he wants to reform the pumpkins - but you also can't blame him - It was a billy corgan gig which means he'll play his own solo stuff; if they want to hear pumpkins stuff they can go turn on their cd player and/or wait until/if pumpkins reform.

Er...he has released an album...and is touring to promote it...

I'm well aware, but your casual fan is only going to know the singles, of which there has been only one (i think). He should wait till he has released more singles. Even if you own the album, it's quite dense, so hearing some songs on the radio would help endear them to you

I'm well aware' date=' but your casual fan is only going to know the singles, of which there has been only one (i think). He should wait till he has released more singles. Even if you own the album, it's quite dense, so hearing some songs on the radio would help endear them to you[/quote']

From what i've heard the music is much different live and general opinion seems to be that the live show is better than the album.

I'm well aware' date=' but your casual fan is only going to know the singles, of which there has been only one (i think). He should wait till he has released more singles. Even if you own the album, it's quite dense, so hearing some songs on the radio would help endear them to you[/quote']

You know there are bands that don't release singles, do you think they should tour at all?

He shouldn't be touring after' date=' what, one single? People don't like going to gigs when the songs don't have any significance to any great number of people . He should have least waited until his solo songs were better known[/quote']

THEN THEY SHOULDNT HAVE GONE THEN U TWAT!

I think corgan was out of order. His fans had the right to ask for pumpkins songs' date=' as he was the one who was whining about wanting his "old band back", and a classic pumpkins tune wouldve added alot to the set and made the fans happy.[/quote']

not true...

shellac were asked to play Big Black songs, and the answer was "shut up".

just because he was famous for being in one band, doesn't mean to say they should be doomed to play those famous tunes for ever....

I think he's a pretentious baby mind you.

It's not surprising really, anyone that used to be in a fairly massive group is going to get calls for old material. To be fair though, Corgan should probably have played a few Pumpkins tracks (I'm not entirely sure if he does or not in his solo shows?), like Ian Brown does and Frank Black did. Although you can understand Corgan's annoyance over this; having said that, after announcing his intention to reform the Pumpkins he should have expected it even more so than usual.

That's possibly the most diplomatic post ever, apologies lol.

It's not surprising really' date=' anyone that used to be in a fairly massive group is going to get calls for old material. To be fair though, Corgan should probably have played a few Pumpkins tracks (I'm not entirely sure if he does or not in his solo shows?), like Ian Brown does and Frank Black did. Although you can understand Corgan's annoyance over this; having said that, after announcing his intention to reform the Pumpkins he should have expected it even more so than usual.

That's possibly the most diplomatic post ever, apologies lol.[/quote']

But it would spoil the consistency of the show, by throwing in some Pumpkins song which jars with the rest of the set. I'm sure he even has the live setup to do Pumpkins songs, not the ones anyone would be shouting for anyway.

You know there are bands that don't release singles' date=' do you think they should tour at all?[/quote']

I don't to be honest, but here is my view of bands who don't release singles: www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24507&highlight=singles

Come to think of it, I don't know why I excluded Led Zeppelin from the roll call of shame

Bit 'arsh! I think it was reasonable of them to think they might get a Pumpkins tune or two' date=' considering Billy wrote almost all of them[/quote']

I think it's pretty reasonable to hope for it as well since it's the same man that wrote/co-wrote all of the songs. Billy just shouldn't play them if he doesn't want to.

I don't see how something like '1979' or 'Try, Try, Try' or even some Zwan stuff would jar that badly with the rest of the set...

I think it's pretty reasonable to hope for it as well since it's the same man that wrote/co-wrote all of the songs. Billy just shouldn't play them if he doesn't want to.

I don't see how something like '1979' or 'Try' date=' Try, Try' or even some Zwan stuff would jar that badly with the rest of the set...[/quote']

Now you're making sense. Altho, in a recent interview I read with him, he comes across as a religious nut. Maybe the spiritual sentiments of his new songs counter the god-hating sentiments of some Pumpkins songs.

I don't see how something like '1979' or 'Try' date=' Try, Try' or even some Zwan stuff would jar that badly with the rest of the set...[/quote']

1979 maybe but not Try, Try, Try or Zwan stuff. He could maybe fit in some Adore stuff and the least heavy more electronic songs from Machina or maybe Beautiful from Mellon Collie.