aberdeen-music

Glasgow Garage - to be built in Aberdeen...

Neil

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Laura@TMB

Ta for that. I've heard about the Eskobar rumour too (and also Po-na-na's however you spell it!)

Whatever, and wherever, we should all find out soon as the next licensing board meeting is only a couple of weeks away...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Laura@TMB

OK, so a certain party named in the P&J article re The Garage opening in Abdn, had an application in at this week's licensing board meeting for Eskobar- so, I guess I'm now 99.999999% certain that Eskobar is the venue in question!!

For more info on The Garage (Glasgow) goto:

http://www.garageglasgow.co.uk/

Make sure you take a look at their Top 10 toons bit - 'tis a bit of a giggle :rolleyes:

PS And another link on the subject at

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/recordbusiness/content_objectid=13945148_method=full_siteid=89488_headline=-RECORD-BUSINESS-INSIDER--CLUB-KINGS-HIT-THE-NORTH-name_page.html

OK the link doesn't work unless you repaste it for some reason, so here is the actual text:

"RECORD BUSINESS INSIDER: CLUB KINGS HIT THE NORTH Feb 13 2004

Gurus unveil expansion

CLUB bosses Donald MacLeod and Michele Pagliocca are set to break out of their Glasgow stronghold.

They plan to expand their empire by opening up to eight venues in Aberdeen and one in England.

The pair disclosed their goal after announcing another strong year of growth by their Lettuce Holdings group.

Lettuce operates The Garage, The Cathouse, The Tunnel, The Shed and Cube nightclubs in Glasgow.

The group announced a 22 per cent rise in sales to 12.8 million for the year to September 30.

But increased spending on refurbishment and recruitment saw pre-tax profits slip 500,000 to 1.1 million.

Lettuce spent almost 1 million last year refurbishing The Garage.

MacLeod said the firm are completing a deal this week to secure premises for their first club in Aberdeen.

It will be launched during students' freshers' week in the autumn.

It could be followed by the opening of a further seven clubs at locations in the city which have already been earmarked.

Lettuce will also open another club this year on Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, on the site of a former furniture shop. Colin Barr, owner of the Republic Bier Halle and other style bars, was a partner in the original plan.

MacLeod said: 'It was going to be a beer hall which we would run as a joint venture with Colin.

'But he has decided to do other things and we will run it ourselves.'

The accounts show that MacLeod, 42, and Pagliocca, 47, shared a dividend of 360,000, down from 540,000 the previous year.

MacLeod expects the group will acquire an Englishvenue over the next year. He said the firm will build on their success in catering for the youth market.

He explained: 'Our clubs in Glasgow are diverse and they each target a different musical market.

'That's where our strength lies. We know our music and our clubs reflect that knowledge.'

Lettuce are promoting the Download Festival on Glasgow Green in June, which will be headlined by Metallica.

The company are also in talks with the city council about organising events over the next three years."

Originally posted by Neil:

Hang on, did I read that article correctly? They are going to open EIGHT new venues in Aberdeen? That surely can't be right.

I'm thinking that it's just confusion with CPL trying to be mysterious by saying they were looking at various venues in Aberdeen and at the same time admitting they were looking to open eight new venues. The eight including the London and new Glasgow ventures....

I would post more on my thoughts about CPL's effet on Aberdeen but I'm all teary eyed looking through my old pics from Ritzy's & RGU's Sloe Club... (and searching for Fox & Men Lie!)

Originally posted by Frosty Jack:

Stick them up anyway, I might even be in there somewhere...

uploaded a wee handful some of which may be of interest, (my pics really were just all drunken snapshots of good mates of mine from "back in the day"). I have a couple others somewhere that show upstairs of Ritzy/Bonkers from an engagement party I had there around the same time (Dec '92) :S

pics are at http://gallery.aberdeen-music.com/showgallery.php?perpage=20&cat=3019

Also checked the suvara website & am wondering if Flossie is the same Flossie from The Lorelei, they were damned fine band according to my slightly hazy memories...

Guest Laura@TMB

Great photos Woolies!

Thankfully I can't see myself in any of the Bonkers ones, but I would've been there, complete with dodgy permed hair, spray-on stretch black jeans, white baseball boots and denim/army shirt :O

Flash says, you'd def know him as he was never out of the Sloe Club (except when he got barred for a year, for trying to get back in via the window)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm for it.

As I pressume said new venue will have the contacts to book some bloody good bands. I'm praying it's not a larger version of KEF (I don't go to Kef, have no wish to go there again, and certainly wouldn't go to a bigger version). Maybe some regular clubnights? If it's a version of the Cathouse but in Aberdeen, i'd be a happy bunny.

All this talk of the Palace though... that was before my time (I'm showing my age)... I've heard so many beautiful tales of The Palace.

I'm for it.

As I pressume said new venue will have the contacts to book some bloody good bands. I'm praying it's not a larger version of KEF (I don't go to Kef' date=' have no wish to go there again, and certainly wouldn't go to a bigger version). Maybe some regular clubnights? If it's a version of the Cathouse but in Aberdeen, i'd be a happy bunny.

All this talk of the Palace though... that was before my time (I'm showing my age)... I've heard so many beautiful tales of The Palace.[/quote']

It's a Garage so the music is not likely to be rock orientated. Check the playlist for the Glasgow Garage. Although CPL also operates the Cathouse, both venues they are poles apart. The Garage is aimed at the type of student that loves Radio 1 if you catch my drift.

The Garage in Glasgow does host live gigs, and those are of a more rock orientated nature, presumably because Kylie isn't available for bookings.

If they announce an Aberdeen Cathouse it might be worth getting excited.

The Palace wasn't that great. Rose tinted beer goggles help a lot.

so sugarcult at the garage on june 20th was a rock gig? i was there it was californian punk at it's best and as far as i know sugarcult hav never been on Radio FUCKIN 1!

Oh shut the fuck up, you halfwit. Flash clearly was implying that 'non pop act' bands play at the Glasgow garage... so yes Sugarcult falls into that catagory (though they are shit imho... but thats a different topic).

PS: Sugarcult probably have been on Radio One at some point, they get played on 'Scuzz' TV too... I can feel the envy swell inside you.

It's a Garage so the music is not likely to be rock orientated. Check the playlist for the Glasgow Garage. Although CPL also operates the Cathouse' date=' both venues they are poles apart. The Garage is aimed at the type of student that loves Radio 1 if you catch my drift.

The Garage in Glasgow does host live gigs, and those are of a more rock orientated nature, presumably because Kylie isn't available for bookings.

If they announce an Aberdeen Cathouse it might be worth getting excited.

The Palace wasn't that great. Rose tinted beer goggles help a lot.[/quote']

Yeah, I was more for a Cathouse type venue... the garage isnt all that supreme as a place just to go to (as far as my tastes go)... *prays for Cathouse type venue*

:angel:

zane lowe and that mike davis guy are on radio one, they play sugarcult (who had a song in the soundtrack for van wilder party liason, which kinda makes them nae cool) did you know bad religion even gets played, so yea they have alt shows on radio 1 so dont diss it hombr

oh a little rant i feel so grown up =oD