aberdeen-music

Glasgow Garage - to be built in Aberdeen...

Neil

Originally posted by Flash@TMB:

Frank our barman played in a charity benefit concert for victims of the Piper Alpha. They were paid more that any of the other bands on the bill...

...now this being a benefit gig you might wonder why/how they got paid. Well the reason is that the took to the stage naked and only got out the first 3 bars of 'Smoke on the Water' before people started throwing coins at them and the engineer pulled the plug. I guess I can see why they thought the song was appropriate but with hindsight a little too close to the bone!

Flash

Christ, that explains a lot. I played at that very gig in my own band, and got banned from all council venues after it. But we thought that was just for swearing a bit, and our singer flashed his bits a couple of times. We got some real shit after that from everyone saying we had played 'smoke on the water' when we hadn't, and we couldn't understand it at the time. So it's his fault then? I'd say that's worth a pint or two...

The Venue was indeed great, I played there a few times, and saw some amazing bands, but it was mostly just a fantastic place for a night out. Like Jim says, it was a total mix of all kinds of Aberdeen's finest freaks, with no real trouble that I remember. Imagine Drakes but 200 times bigger.

And there was a lot more to the 'scene' in the early nineties than Men Lie and Kill the Doc, good though they were. Basically I reckon the whole 'scene' thing was really kicked off by the 'Big Bang at Bonkers', which was a huge gig at what is now Liquid, and all organised by the bands themselves, coming together to help each other out for the first time. It's all in the book 'Fit like New York'.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Frosty Jack:

Christ, that explains a lot. I played at that very gig in my own band, and got banned from all council venues after it. But we thought that was just for swearing a bit, and our singer flashed his bits a couple of times. We got some real shit after that from everyone saying we had played 'smoke on the water' when we hadn't, and we couldn't understand it at the time. So it's his fault then? I'd say that's worth a pint or two...

The Venue was indeed great, I played there a few times, and saw some amazing bands, but it was mostly just a fantastic place for a night out. Like Jim says, it was a total mix of all kinds of Aberdeen's finest freaks, with no real trouble that I remember. Imagine Drakes but 200 times bigger.

And there was a lot more to the 'scene' in the early nineties than Men Lie and Kill the Doc, good though they were. Basically I reckon the whole 'scene' thing was really kicked off by the 'Big Bang at Bonkers', which was a huge gig at what is now Liquid, and all organised by the bands themselves, coming together to help each other out for the first time. It's all in the book 'Fit like New York'.

I played the piper alpha gig too. We just got back from a gig in Poolewe and were in no condition to play, thanks to some kind german tourists who were staying in the same B&B giving us a bottle of whisky at breakfast. We got some nice hats though.

Originally posted by Frosty Jack:

Yeah sorry, I was pretty much out of my face from 1990 until 1997 so I don't really remember much. In fact my total sequential recall of those years lasts <5 mins which is pretty poor considering I can go up to 40 secs on 1976 alone.

Please name some other non-covers bands from that time and see if we can unleash my memory, I'm sure theres some good shit trapped inside there.

I remember the Big Bang thing, but I'd forgotten the Ritzy was ever called Bonkers. I don't remember much about the Big Bang itself and most of that memory is mixed up in the student torcher of 1992, reason being that on both occasions I had scored a 1/2 ounce of really nice grass. Not strong stuff like todays because we used to smoke it in

joints without any added tobacco, and it made us laugh for hours. So I can't distinguish between the 2 events, in fact they may have been on the same night. Help anyone? Hmm perhaps it's too late for help :(

I'd like to add that I didn't actually take part in the torcher, it's just I remember watching it and being out of my face as usual. I'm glad I stopped doing that stuff, the total lifetime of a stoner must have a perceived passing of ~25 mins.

Flash

I remember seeing Teenage Fanclub, a few others and The Levellers at Bonkers - I seem to recall Faith No More playing there as well and my mate Sol having to use Deep Heat for days afterwords...

What about Ceasars Palace and the place on Hadden Street that had Acid Reign playing ?

I'm too young to remember The Venue though:angel:

Dave

Cesars

I used to go to Cesars after closing time at The Moorings on a Saturday Night. On Fridays I'd go to Satelites then the Sloe Club.

Cesars was OK, nice and dark, another place where you could cop off with someone in relative private. It was quite pricey though and not the best layout, sort of a minature Palace.

Death Metal afternoons were strange.

I was sick as fuck when it shut though.

Flash

A local music scene does not, surely, just consist of local bands? I would say that all bands no matter how big or small, no matter how far they travel, or what genre of music, contribute to what is a so called 'local music scene'. Without bands being booked by promoters, dragged kicking and screaming to the far north, I fear a would be potential for an insular approach to live music... A narcissistic attitude is all fine and well but there has to be a point when the focus must turns outward. Many many times have I watched bands from outwith Aberdeen play in Drake's, and yes more often than not they are outstanding in their professionalism. Is it not this that can add something to an area? Bands inspired by bands? Punters/musicians inspired to start bands? Music inspiring music? Aiming higher than the local scene is nothng to be ashamed of. So in summary... If there are a great deal more bands travelling to this fair city then many should benefit. The business man however has to dig in the heels, take a close look at the product provided and ensure that an ability and desire to adapt brings positive change and development to a 'scene' that needs reminded every day of how (local and national) culturaly important it is and should be. I make no apologies for the discurssive nature of this message. Every sentence could have it's own thread but I couldn't be arsed!

What I object to...

What I object to is the Chicago Rock approach whereby they never book local bands but continually recirculate tribute bands around their own private fuckin circuit.

The other thing I could live without is places that do put on local bands, but only covers bands. The old pub rock thing. When we took over the bar many people told us that Aberdonians only wanted to hear covers and had no interest in original music. That being the case imagine my surprise when I put on a band playing some original music, packed the houe out and doubled our takings... something that we have since repeated many times over to the point where we're reluctant to book bands that play covers... Yes a good covers band does fill a gap when you have no chance of seeing the original, but not every night!

I agree that bands from elsewhere playing original music and traveling to Aberdeen play an important role in our music scene. And lets face it, the Chicago Rocks of this world aren't going to entertain them.

So yes the local scene does constitute more than just local bands.

I'd also like to see more lower to middle tier bands playing Aberdeen in addition to the odd giant of rock that makes it this far North. This situation is better thanks mainly to The Lemon Tree and Drummonds, but there is still scope for improvement.

But my original point was that, prior to Drakes, where was there in Aberdeen willing to put on local bands playing original material? I can't think of anywhere. And without Drakes things would quickly deteriorate again.

Thi's is what I was alluding to, although the way I typed it was open to misinterpretation.

Flash

Lets face it... Chicago Rock Factory? Not realy worthy of a mention here. Nothing to do with music takes place there... Bet you if I mention the Bash Street Kids and say that they are the best band in Aberdeen. Someone (most likely the drummer of said band) will take me seriously! Gotta laugh. Same as when someone say's to me that they saw a great live band at 'Jumping jokes'.

Check the listings for Drake's. 65-70% of the line up tends to be lower tier bands/acts touring and now heading to Aberdeen. The more punters that turn up the more we book! Faboooooluss wee venue and a faboooooluss bookings manager (Shaz) that has spent a great deal of time building contacts and a reputation. Minimum requirement at this end of ithe music industry!!!

And Flash... Thanks again for the phone number you passed on. Very helpful.

Jim:cheers: :music:

I used to go to The Venue and see The Pixies/GilScott Heron/Jesus and mary chain,Segue,Misty in Roots,etc etc,and also roadied for several bands like Anthem/Dr Chives Swinging Herbs/The Screaming Ab Dabs/The Battery Brides in the early/mid 80s.There was another venue on Market St,called the Flesh Exchange where I saw James King and The Lone Wolves/Primal Scream,at this point Bobby Gilespie had recently found fame as the drummer with the Jesus and Mary Chain-who were shite live by the way.

There was a small venue opposite Dr Drakes, where I saw The Rezillos/ Big Country on their first tour.Their Drummer Mark Breziki went on to loads of session work with The Cult etc,and with his brother on Bass played with Midge Ure at The Lemontree.I saw my brothers band at The Venue, and next door ,where Dr Drakes is now there was even gigs at O Henrys.There was always gigs at the student union too,like Eurythmics,and thanks to the local promoter Duncan Hendry Aberdeen had a thriving music scene not only in The Venue ,but in many other venues too,like The Northern Hotel,some other hotel on Union St,Ritzy,The Music Hall,and he organised the Alternative festival,which had many gigs in unusual venues not usually associated with bands and there were gigs at The Amatola,Beach Ballroom,(MEGA CITY 4),Radars-Rosies etc etc,they change the name way too much,St Kays,The 62 club-Toxic Ephex,and you could always hire out places like the upstairs in Portals and thon shitty dive on King St,I 've seen loads of bands there and even gigged there but the name escapes me.

The Capitol had Motorhead/Kid Creole/Bauhaus/U2/SLF-The Wall/Siouxsie and the Banshees-Lynton Quesi Johnston/The Rolling Stones.It was a good venue,far better than the Music Hall or Exhibition Centre-I despise them,shit,overpriced warm beer in plastic glasses,and no fucking smoking,nah I 'll give it a miss .I have been to both Venues on Numerous occasions but they do not ever make you feel welcome to be there,it's like herding fu**en sheep.Drummonds was turned into a decent Venue by Ian Slater,who put on loads of name bands like Ocean Colour Scene,and gave local bands good money even on Mondays,he is one of the best promoters/sound engineers that worked in Aberdeen,he now is in a band called Pablo,buy their CD it's pretty good,they are even louder then Dick Dale or Motorhead live.

I can not stress enough though ,the guy who made it all happen as far as good touring bands ,Duncan Hendry who now works at His Majesties, should be given a title for his outstanding contribution to music and the arts in Aberdeen,he like Andy Shearer at The Lemontree have made life bearable in Aberdeen,and I save a fortune in travel/accomodation,when I go to Dundee/Edinburgh/Glasgow/The festivals,Well done guys ,I SHOULD PROBABLY BE IN tHE gUINESS BOOK OF RECORDS FOR THE MOST AMOUNT OF GIGS SEEN BY ONE PERSON .F**k !,and I have drank and smoked through nearly all,if a Tab takes 5 minutes off your life,I should have died about euuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuur,he he he ,just my wee joke,seriously though,if Roy Castle was still alive he would be proud of me.

Hmmm

I read that as, they were looking at 8 different places for the one club, and had dibbs on one of those places, but had not finalised anything yet.

I mean they don't even have 8 clubs in Glasgow, and anyone with that many in one location would end up competeing against themselves however they worked it.

So although it may turn out to be Esko, I think that speculation that it is definately Esko is premature.

Flash

Guest The Dark Knight

Duncan Hendry...haha...you know how most bands do a "Thanks list" on their demo's...we had a "No thanks list" on one of ours, which included God, Rocksteady Security and Duncan Hendry. We gave him our first demo and he returned it, saying he couldn't help us out on the ground that we were inappropriate for the alternative youth festival or whatever the hell it was. We were a bunch of 13 year old punk kids which although are 10 a penny these days, this was 8 years ago....so we were definitely alternative to the other bands on the go at the time....we were also young, so I didn't get why we were unappropriate. I swear we should have taped the case shut to see if he picked it open to listen to it....:D

- mr 303

if you look at www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk, using the search you'll find 2 articles on the CPL thing (unless they've got wise and deleted one). In one of the articles the CPL boss is quoted saying:

He said: "It is going to be competitive, as margins are being cut to the bone."

"But there is some talk in the city about happy hours being phased out and the introduction of minimum pricing, which would not be a bad idea."

This is an example of added press spin, so that read in isolation it subconciously comes across as he'll intends to offer cheap drinks but then sucks up to the council to keep on their good side.

The second version of what appears to be the exact same article reads:

Mr MacLeod conceded the market was tough, with many Aberdeen nightspots offering cut-price drinks.

"It is going to be competitive, as margins are being cut to the bone. But there's some talk in the city about happy hours being phased out and the introduction of minimum pricing, which would not be a bad idea."

So he doesn't like the fact that other clubs are marketing cut price drinks, and that is going to make life difficult for him because he'll have to operate on low margins.

In both versions he is actaully saying the same thing, but the press spin in the first example assists the reader in interpreting it differently with the intention of adding some drama.

The low margin thing is nonsense BTW, they'll be paying ~half of what independant venues do for a keg, and that's no exaggeration because a little birdie has shown me trade price lists for some of the chains. Archies sells lagers for less than I can purchase it (as do the supermarkets). Poor beggars, my wallet bleeds for them! Not. For instance I know of one chain that charges 2.60 for a Russian Vodka that we sell at 1.60. A bottle costs me 20, and it costs them 15. I know of another chain that was selling a certain Tequila for 4.00, I sell the same tequila for 2.40, a bottle retails at 52 but they are paying 25. It costs me over 40. Imagine my horror when I tasted it and found it was tipped (contained a much cheaper and inferior tequila). Thankfully one of those chains has since fled town.

On the 8 clubs front it reads:

He also said that CPL was "very speculatively" looking at eight other sites in the Granite City as it tries to break out of its Glasgow stronghold. CPL has 450 staff in Glasgow where it also operates the Cathouse and Cube nightclubs among others.

In other words they are looking at 8 sites, but the press spin implies this means 8 venues, but I think he was just trying to say that they were looking at 8 different buildings.

Flash

They have six in Glasgow which are all highly successful. I would imagine that a Garage type place in Aberdeen will do pretty well considering the huge managerial and financial clout behind it.

I would also have thought that if they aim to put on bands, it will damage all the larger venues in Aberdeen including the lemon tree, music hall and moshulu. If CPL book someone for Glasgow, is it not also pretty likely that they will have first pick to book them for Aberdeen as well, and will also have more financial pull?

Bookings

Yes I agree that they'll do well. They have an excellent formula, good reputation, and are extremely competent. I don't think they will damage anywhere else, quite the opposite. The scene in Aberdeen is still not very lively and they will only serve to improve things. Hopefully this will see more bands coming to town. If you look at the choices of gig in Glasgow, where CPL compete with several other venues the options are enormous yet business remains healthy.

Aberdeen is much smaller, but we are talking 1 CPL venue not 6, and there isn't that much competition.

As far as bands go, people will make their choices depending on the band and a very low second is usually the facilities at the venue. Bands themselves will choose to play a venue depending on how well it suits their requirements, the deal on offer, and whether they believe the gig will be a success.

Overall I imagine it will be a good thing for Aberdeen and I run one of the competing bars!!!

Flash

HEY BATBOY!,Duncan Hendry always booked a wide variety of bands,I think you are being a bit naieve,as he had booked hundreds of punk /alternative/indie/reGgae/etc etc bands, long before you got out of nappies,I know, I was there,and was generously paid on several occasions for playing our own punk songs.MAYBE YOUR BAND WERE JUST SHITE!.

Originally posted by Biz:

HEY BATBOY!,Duncan Hendry always booked a wide variety of bands,I think you are being a bit naieve,as he had booked hundreds of punk /alternative/indie/reGgae/etc etc bands, long before you got out of nappies,I know, I was there,and was generously paid on several occasions for playing our own punk songs.MAYBE YOUR BAND WERE JUST SHITE!.

Thats exactly the sort of encouragement the youth of today needs. :nono:

Besides, fuck Aberdeen, we did alright touring Europe...

Which band were you in by the way?.....

Guest The Dark Knight
Originally posted by The Dark Knight:

Duncan Hendry...haha...you know how most bands do a "Thanks list" on their demo's...we had a "No thanks list" on one of ours, which included God, Rocksteady Security and Duncan Hendry. We gave him our first demo and he returned it, saying he couldn't help us out on the ground that we were inappropriate for the alternative youth festival or whatever the hell it was. We were a bunch of 13 year old punk kids which although are 10 a penny these days, this was 8 years ago....so we were definitely alternative to the other bands on the go at the time....we were also young, so I didn't get why we were unappropriate. I swear we should have taped the case shut to see if he picked it open to listen to it....:D

- mr 303

I don't remember posting this?

Must remember to log out in future! :dunce:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Laura@TMB
Not sure if any of you saw today's P&J but it appears that CPL (the people behind the Glasgow Cathouse, Garage among other clubs and venues) intend to open a new club and live music venue in Aberdeen in time for Freshers week this year. The club/venue will be modelled on the look of the Glasgow Garage but it's location in Aberdeen has yet to be revealed. They reckon it will create 30 new jobs so I assume it is going to be a pretty big and active place.

My guess is that it'll be in the old Bank of Scotland building in the Castlegate (next door to the Tilted Wig). Loads of work been going on there for ages now, and no signs as yet to say what it's gonna be yet.