aberdeen-music

Glasgow Garage - to be built in Aberdeen...

Neil

Glasgow Garage - to be build in Aberdeen...

Not sure if any of you saw today's P&J but it appears that CPL (the people behind the Glasgow Cathouse, Garage among other clubs and venues) intend to open a new club and live music venue in Aberdeen in time for Freshers week this year. The club/venue will be modelled on the look of the Glasgow Garage but it's location in Aberdeen has yet to be revealed. They reckon it will create 30 new jobs so I assume it is going to be a pretty big and active place.

Once again another live music venue and club hits Aberdeen. Should be interesting to see how the current live music venues and clubs deal with this new entrant...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I can't see it being Esko if it is meant to have a capacity of 800 and live bands playing as well (which would suggest a stage needs to go somewhere). Found the original article in the P&J online here:

http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=62692&command=displayContent&sourceNode=62244&contentPK=8831490

Guest stuartmaxwell

nah it is esko

i reckon they will bash in the walls between the arches and throw a stage in, there are rooms all the way up (underground) bridge st that are part of esko, they only used two of them though, i reckon they will make it open plan

i think its bad news for aberdeen, other venues will suffer, the garage are out to make a quik buck, and thye comprimise their playlist+drinks policy to reel punters in, it will definetly affect places like exodus, moshulu i reckon will be fine

Originally posted by stuartmaxwell:

oh yeah and 750 is the capacity of esko

i work for the pr company who used to print flyers for them and give them flyer staff

I've only been in Esko once and rather the worse for wear I was, but as I recall, there isn't a space in that building which would be fire regged for more than about 350 tops. Lots of floors, no big spaces.

It is similar to the Cathouse though.

Plastic glasses, pay to play, techs even stricter than me. Aberdeen ain't ready.

Originally posted by stuartmaxwell:

i think its bad news for aberdeen, other venues will suffer, the garage are out to make a quik buck, and thye comprimise their playlist+drinks policy to reel punters in, it will definetly affect places like exodus, moshulu i reckon will be fine

in some ways it'd be good for aberdeen, i reckon. however, if an 800 capacity venue gets built with CPL behind it, that can only be a bad thing for moshulu, and their hopes to attract "big" bands, which regularly play places like the garage down south.

it'd be awesome to have a venue like the garage up here though.

hasn't this rumour already done the rounds?, wasn't it the old oscars on union street which was to be turned into a large venue, instead we got stuck with chicago rock cafe and jumpin jacks, neither of which i've been to, or have any desire so to do.

Originally posted by alex.:

wasn't it the old oscars on union street which was to be turned into a large venue,

The 'old oscars' as you call it, was the capitol, which was a large venue. Proper venue.

You don't get venues like that anymore, accountants rule the live scene and health and safety guys are the little demons making everyone elses life stupidly difficult. Cunts!

I think it's great news

The more places to go, the bigger the scene gets, the more people become involved in it, and the better it's chances of survival.

Rock survived in Glasgow through the dismal 90s because they had a thriving scene in the 80s. They had a thriving scene because there were places to go.

Here in Aberdeen there was only 1 dedicated rock venue - The Venue, and 2 dedicated rock bars Satelites and Moorings. Outside of that there was a scattering of single nights, not usually on weekends. It was shite.

Competition is always a good thing, expecially for the punter. Venues needn't worry either because if your place has something to offer then people will go there. If it has everything to offer then everyone will queue to go there. You just have to try harder.

CPL is a chain. Chains have some advantages like large captial injection, very low purchase prices on stock, big advertising bugget, and they represent a known quality to those unfamiliar with the local scene.

They also have some disadvantages like slow reaction to change and slow to mobilise. They are restricted in what they can offer, and sometimes lack soul.

Personally I hope they open in the Vaults or Poo Na Nas... heh heh.

Everytime a new bar or venue has opened The Moorings Bar has gotten busier. This happened with Drakes, Drummonds, Moshulu, HJBs, and it will happen with this CPL thing. Hopefully the same goes for the other venues too.

I'm in this because I love the scene, and I'm trying to help build a stable scene for the first time. A new big venue opening is exactly what we all need...

And no matter what, The Moorings Bar will always have a better tasting alcohol and a better sounding rig than ANYWHERE! What else is important? Heh heh.

Flash

Venue

It was between where Drakes and The Drift Inn are now, underneath the Douglas Hotel. It's still there but disused. It would be good it the CPL place opened there but there are long odds on that option...

The Venue closed in err 1989.

I may be wearing rose tinted specs but it still ranks as the best venue we ever had in my opinion.

Flash

Guest Scorge Spike

If they pitch as a big band venue with a scale somewhere between the Music Hall and the Lemon Tree, then it's a good thing.

If it turns into a club oriented student haunt (ie. a bigger version of Kef), it's not a good thing.

And I fear it could be the latter.

Re: Venue

Originally posted by Flash@TMB:

It was between where Drakes and The Drift Inn are now, underneath the Douglas Hotel. It's still there but disused. It would be good it the CPL place opened there but there are long odds on that option...

The Venue closed in err 1989.

I may be wearing rose tinted specs but it still ranks as the best venue we ever had in my opinion.

Flash

I couldn't agree with you more. I love Moshulu & Elizium - I miss The Palace .. but The Venue has a special place in my heart. That place was magical! I remember back then, some of the older people used to talk fondly of 'Valhallas' - but I doubt if anybody on this board would remember that. I'm 37 and it was before my time even.

I went to some function where The Venue used to be, back around 95 ... it was sooo horrible inside - they'd done it all up with wedding parties in mind, and it was just heartbreaking. It still cuts deep to know that it was bought over and shut down, practically destroying the scene in Aberdeen for years ... and all to create some underused function suite at the back of a hotel. Grrrrr!!

There was The Satelite Bar where Siberia is now but much smaller. They used to have a resident live covers band or jam session on a Sunday afternoon.

The Moorings Bar would have a rock disco on Friday Nights and a covers band on Saturday nights.

The Malt Mill had predominantly covers bands playing on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

The Blue Lamp would have the odd blues or soul band.

Cesars Palace hosted a rock disco on Fridays and a 'Death Metal' afternoon on Saturdays. They usually had a live band on Saturday Nights but mostly covers. They also had a rock disco on Tuesday Nights.

The Ritzy/Palace hosted a goth disco on Monday nights and a rock disco on Thursday nights. Very occasionally... well once that I can remember they had a live band on during the week. It was Faith No More. I shit you not.

The Sloe Club (RGIT Union downstairs where the shop is) had a rock disco on Fridays and live bands on Saturdays.

There were very few non-covers bands. Tour De Force is one that springs to mind, after that I'm struggling, and Tour De Force were really more 80s than 90s. There was a sort of glam band called Fox. There was a band called Kill The Doctor - they were quite popular and pulled big crowds. There was also a very good band called Men Lie, they are back on the scene again but called Atrium now and they are still very good, we had them playing a few weeks back. Aside from those all I remember is the odd teenage death band here and there but very few of them ever got a gig outside their own bedrooms, the bars just weren't interested.

The best thing that ever happened to live music in Aberdeen in uinquestionably Dr Drakes.

Flash

Originally posted by Flash@TMB:

The Ritzy/Palace hosted a goth disco on Monday nights and a rock disco on Thursday nights. Very occasionally... well once that I can remember they had a live band on during the week. It was Faith No More. I shit you not.

Jesus! In 1992 I palyed my first ever death metal gig there for the Telethon Charity Event.

2nd gig? The East Neuk - NICE!

I should add...

I should also add that in addition to Dr Drakes, AUBL has done wonders for the local scene. It's easy to forget that before AUBL we had no means of finding out who was out there and what they were playing.

Personally I consider it more important to participate in the local music scene that worry about bringing bands up from elsewhere. Our local scene is thriving , it may even be the best in the UK - we just need to get that message out!

The Moorings Bar will be devoting Saturdays and Sundays to local bands playing original material. I see us as being like a weekend extension of Drakes in that respect. Gee I hope that Garage place opens up in Poo Naa Naa.

Flash

Originally posted by SteveCrisis:

Jesus! In 1992 I palyed my first ever death metal gig there for the Telethon Charity Event.

2nd gig? The East Neuk - NICE!

Frank our barman played in a charity benefit concert for victims of the Piper Alpha. They were paid more that any of the other bands on the bill...

...now this being a benefit gig you might wonder why/how they got paid. Well the reason is that the took to the stage naked and only got out the first 3 bars of 'Smoke on the Water' before people started throwing coins at them and the engineer pulled the plug. I guess I can see why they thought the song was appropriate but with hindsight a little too close to the bone!

Flash