aberdeen-music

Which is the best analog delay?

Scott!

Guest lime ruined my life

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41415&item=3768382328

the old mxr analouge delay.

you just need to put it in a case with pots footswitch and output jack and connect them up.

also, youl need to put a power adapter on it.

i think the power supply is built into the board, but its built for american supply. all you need to do is find out where the power rails are and attach a power socket, and use a wallwart from maplin.

you just need to put it in a case with pots footswitch and output jack and connect them up.

also' date=' youl need to put a power adapter on it.

i think the power supply is built into the board, but its built for american supply. all you need to do is find out where the power rails are and attach a power socket, and use a wallwart from maplin.[/quote']

Thanks, but which do you think would be the best of one currently on the market? I'm planning to buy a new (reissue) one because I'm planning on gigging with it and don't want the hassles inherent to a partially homemade delay, even if it is my own fault.

Guest Gasss

I've never used an Ibanez/Maxon AD9 or a memory man but I have an ibanez ADL, a much less coveted 80s successor to the AD-9. It's probably not as good but cost me less than 30 on ebay. It sounds completely different to a digital pedal with a lot of high end roll off on the repeats and it does self-oscillation (feedback) with high enough feedback settings. It's easier to create an ambient wash of sound than with a digital pedal, where you can hear the individual notes more distinctly. It also has a pretty short delay time (about 300ms) which is common for all delays including the boss DM2/3 and memory man.

Guest Gasss

The short delay times make it difficult to get that huge mogwai sound with a single analogue delay - the deluxe memory man has a max 550ms which is still pretty short. Stuart Braithwaite from Mogwai uses both a digital and an analogue delay - he used to use an ibanez digital delay and a memory man, not sure what he uses now. I use matching ibanez digital and analogue delays and can replicate Mogwai sounds like on Ex-Cowboy or Helicon 1

Guest Gasss

I use about 800ms with 60% level and full repeats on the digital and 200ms with full feedback short of oscillation and full level on the analogue. I have no idea what settings SB uses.

I can get a similar sound using just the digital delay with more effects level but it sounds more note-y and percussive. Using the combination is more dense and synth like.

You might be able to get the sound you're looking for without doing this. Maybe you should try some pedals in a shop.

also' date=' youl need to put a power adapter on it.

i think the power supply is built into the board, but its built for american supply. all you need to do is find out where the power rails are and attach a power socket, and use a wallwart from maplin.[/quote']

that delay is actually a digital one, just uning the circuitry and board form an mxr analouge one, with a new delay chip

out of the two, the EHX would probably be best, slightly more delay time and it is generally regarded as an awesome delay pedal

the ibanez only has 350 ms delay time, the mods at www.robaertkeeley.com look awesome though, but pretty expensive

if you look on ebay, older boss DM-2's and DM-3's appear and are regarded as excellent delays, and there are some older DOD and arion ones that are supposed to be cheaper alternatives, the dmm looks great though

do you really need an analouge delay though, digital ones can get muchlonger delay times at much better qualitys (and many can be modded for more 'analouge' sounds) and are much more available

David

I like the analogue sound; I'm not primarily interested in using it as a "delay" where you'd be repeating notes to build up harmonies, or anything; more as a tool for creating a post-rock ambient wash, i.e. on the tracks "Helicon 1" or "Stop Coming to my House" by Mogwai. (I have MP3s if you want a listen.) I already have a cheap Zoom pedal with a digital delay that works alright for longer repeats; I'm more interested in the fuzzy, decaying analogue tone. Does anybody know if you can buy a new wall wart for the Memory Man? I'm going home to Canada for christmas and I'm planning on buying the delay there because stuff's easily 25% cheaper there, but I'd need to get a new adaptor for the MM to deal with UK voltage, which may be a bit of an issue. Oh well...

Guest Gasss

I read somewhere that the sound of a delay is determined more by the filtering of the delayed sound than by the nature of the delay chip. Both analogue and digital chips create artifacts which have to be disguised by filtering. You get a lot of PT2399 delays with heavy LPF filtering that sound a lot like analog delays. The danelectro PB&J/reel echo, Ibanez DE-7 and Digitech Digidelay are ones I have tried that all sound good.

My own dilemma was that I wanted an analogue style delay but wasn't willing to pay 250 for a new Ibanez, 100 + for a bashed up old Boss DM2/3 or have my entire pedalboard taken up by a memoryman. If I hadn't got the ibanez ADL cheap on ebay, I probably would have gone for one of the above models.

a digital delay with a high cut mod will go a long way to the analouge's sound (ie treble getting rolled off as it delays) you can get mods for the boss dd-x pedals to do this

you should easily be able to get a replacement adapter for foreign climates, i dont know specifically about the dmm, bt you can definately get replacement adapters for ehx pedals, check what the supply it needs is, if its a dc voltage then you should be able to get a foreign adapter, if its ac there may be problems, and you would need to use a converter or similar

if you are buying a dmm, the new ones are supposed to be better than the older ones, before you go on a hunt for a mojo filled vintage pedal.

David

Thanks everybody. I emailed Stuart Braithwaite but he was fairly unhelpful, I might just have to be all obnoxious and keep pestering him until he reveals all his dirty secrets. I was looking at a DMM at R&B yesterday, and the power plug looked fairly bizarre, hardly like the standard 9V Boss thing. Unfortunately EH manuals are notoriously useless- the Memory Man one is a rubbish little 2 page thing all in ~18pt font, and contains such shockers as "When you determine the control settings for your favorite effects, make note of them so you can quickly set up the unit before playing" and "Overdriving the unit will cause distortion" and very little actual information. I think I'll email them. Anybody know what they go for new?

Edit: Thanks for the advice David. unfortunately after a new Fender valve amp, a Mogwai CD and a packet of strings my personal fortune has been reduced to 75p (no seriously) so mojo may be slightly beyond my price range at the moment. ;)

Get a Line 6 DL4 - it has loads of different kinds of sounds - tube echos, analogue, multihead delays, ones with sweep filters, reverse delays, ping-pongs, stereos, rythytmtytic etc etc. I got one for 120 pounds inc shipping from ebay America. It has tap tempo, plus 3 presets. And a looper function that you can reverse, slow down and play on top of and record onto your loop.

Craig