Gain - 8

Presence - 10

When playing with others it alters to:

Treble - 9

Mid - 7

Bass - 4

Gain - 9

Presence - 7

Best idea is to muck around with them until you find something that you ideally want, but as was posted above me, do roughly what was said and you'll be on your way to fulfilling what you desire (hopefully!).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best idea is to muck around with them until you find something that you ideally want' date=' but as was posted above me, do roughly what was said and you'll be on your way to fulfilling what you desire (hopefully!).[/quote']

Thought so, it wasn't rocket science last time I checked. Still no point posting you're EQ setings though, for reasons mentioned above.(nice to see you've done what I would've expected between the two though, ballpark)

Mr Sloth (or The to his friends) nails it on the head, it's all got to be put in context, I've heard some amazingly good/bad guitar sounds which totally ruin/enhance the song when the band starts playing. It might be called a solo but...

You're right' date=' me posting settings doesn't help due to the complete lack of havign the same gear.

Kinda gives an insight I suppose though The Sloth said it in a more basic, obvious way![/quote']

The different settings between what sounds good to you on it's own and what sounds good with your band are interesting.

Take note git players, play for the band, not yourself.

The heaviest sound I ever had was with my cheap epiphone through a Shredmaster and a JCM800 cranked really high. I'm now getting a heavier but cleaner sound with a Gibson Les Paul special (P90s are the shizz) a Boss DS1 and a JCM2000, cranked high on the crunch channel (the clean channel is too bassy and is lacking in something). Pick up a DS1, they cost about 40 and is the best distortion pedal I've ever used. I used to swear by the shredmaster, but the DS1 is capable of better tones...

Guest DustyDeviada
get yourself a boogie dual rectifier and a les paul with emg 81 and 85's in it' date=' some keeley pedals and away you go.[/quote']

Well that's certainly the cost effective option for the guitarist on a budget.

BTW I second the derisory comments regarding Zoom effects pedals. Hog's probably planning on selling his soon and trying to bump up the price. ;)

I have a cheap Zoom thing, and it's rubbish- even if you turn the gain on the distortion patch all the way down, it still murders your tone and fuzzes it out to the point where it's completely unusable even alone. Any chords other than just a root and fifth get drowned out in dissonant harmonics, and it sounds stoopid. Definitely a bad idea.

worst advice ever. zoom multi fx are notorious for their shit distortions. every single one I've ever owned or heard has sounded diabolical no matter how much you fuck around with it. forget about multi fx and get a dedicated distortion pedal. Go into R&B and just try out as many as you can with a guitar as similar to your own as you can find in the shop. See what you like.

my old zoom 505 (2) pedal was the best i ever heard in my 5 years guitar playing.

Guest DustyDeviada
my old zoom 505 (2) pedal was the best i ever heard in my 5 years guitar playing.

I note you have turned your attention to percussion though, so obviously your opinion counts for nothing.

Zooms are nasty!! I had a shot of one for a while, and while it was good for playing with headphones or getting a distorted sound quickly into the computer for recording that new riff you don't wanna forget...I just can't take the tone seriously. Marshall is where its at! Save the cash for a JCM800 or 900 or 2000 even....and a 4x12 cab...crank the fucker loud and you will get a heavy as shit sound :D

Has it never occurred to anyone why Zooms need Zoom Noise Reduction. You have to gate it or it will hiss like a pissed off cobra. I'm sure they call it a "unique feature" as well.

I agree about the tone of the distortions as well, unless you're planning to play exclusively 80s hair rock.

I've found that to be a horrible sounding pedal, as with all digital distortions... To throw my hat into the ring, the best "heavy" sounds I've ever gotten is from using my JCM 900 LOUD. A Boss DS-1 is also quite good. Big Muffs are no use as they lose alot of definition at high gain/volume.

get yourself a boogie dual rectifier and a les paul with emg 81 and 85's in it

Boogie Single Rectifier and Explorer with EMG 81 and 60 in it... works for me :D

If you need a new amp, don't dare buy one just cos you can afford it at the minute, save up for something worthwhile!

Unless you already have a great amount saved up already in which case, try some good amps such as the ENGL Powerball, Framus Cobra, Marshall JCM800 2203, Mesa Rectifiers and so forth.

Mesa Mark IV are meant to be good too, never tried one though...

I agree and disagree with you all lol. Zooms are terrible but not the 3030. Damn, Im off to Toms to get a demo of my distortion put on to cd.

Although, no doubt, if the tone is good, this is Aberdeen-music. I will get hounded and called a bastard, perhaps a 10 page thread if Im lucky :D

Scrow!

which makes our recordings just a big fuzz fest.

any suggestions?

:help:

Change the "zz" to "ck" in yer fuzz fest and you will have loads more fun!' date='

Heavy guitars, mine is

heavier than most peoples it weighs about 7.5kg, thats pretty heavy these days, unless you are a giant.

:band::band::rockon::headbang::guns::kiss::devil:P:bat:

I like these pictures!

I had the original (still do, it has some nice extreme effects that could be useful one day) and it was the cheapest, nastiest piece of plastic I've ever heard. The distortions are terrible on it.

Change the "zz" to "ck" in yer fuzz fest and you will have loads more fun!' date='

Heavy guitars, mine is

heavier than most peoples it weighs about 7.5kg, thats pretty heavy these days, unless you are a giant.

:band::band::rockon::headbang::guns::kiss::devil:P:bat:

I like these pictures!

7.5kg!!!! fuck me is it made out of stone?

Guest AmbientMood

Pedals are a great way of ripping off retard guitarists.

My advice is to do anything with your settings as I'm sure your tone can't get much worse than on those recordings

Pedals are a great way of ripping off retard guitarists.

My advice is to do anything with your settings as I'm sure your tone can't get much worse than on those recordings

yo man. look at every one elses reply, then look at yours. do you think your getting people to like you or even respect buy the way you talk to people?

your views are a mo point to me.

Guest AmbientMood

no number of "yeah man, I use *insert crappy settings* for my *insert crappy Boss distortion rankfest I paid 80 for in RnB*"s will ever grant you any more respect than your shitty grammar will possibly allow.

You want good tone? Buy a decent amp, easy on the gain and stay clear of pedals that offer nothing your amp can't piss over.

You want good tone? Buy a decent amp' date=' easy on the gain and stay clear of pedals that offer nothing your amp can't piss over.[/quote']

That's one possibility. Certainly everyone should try and get hold of a decent amp and their tone will improve.

However you're speaking out of your arse by writing off pedals completely. At this level especially, when you're not using your own amp at every gig, a pedal is a great way of ensuring you know that when you turn up for a gig you can get a sound you like out of the amp you'll be using.

Plus there's a huge difference between using a pedal as a tone-eating crutch and as a delicate tone-shaping mechanism, the difference between which is usually how high the gain is cranked. I have an awesome Fender valve amp, yet when I crank the gain to 12 I still sound retarded. Everything at 11 is not necessarily the best way to get heavy sound.