aberdeen-music

Heavy Guitars?

Chi 666

i have been playing guitar for over 5 years, but i still cant seem to get a really heavy sound without putting my distortion up full, with gives super fuzz. which makes our recordings just a big fuzz fest.

any suggestions?

(my rig= Gibson Voodoo V, peavy supreme 100 w cab, Zoom tri metal pedal)

:help:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bailz

Nah, it's the mids you want to cut out.

Treble can help to add 'edge' to the sound. Try treble around 5 or 6, mids at 2 and bass up high - maybe 8 or 9. Then play with it from there.

Guest Savant
Nah' date=' it's the mids you want to cut out.

[/quote']

If you cut mids out you'll get a metal sound, which is good, but when it's playing along with a band it doesn't cut through too well (why you only hear the fuzz).

i have been playing guitar for over 5 years' date=' but i still cant seem to get a really heavy sound without putting my distortion up full, with gives super fuzz. which makes our recordings just a big fuzz fest.

any suggestions?

(my rig= Gibson Voodoo V, peavy supreme 100 w cab, Zoom tri metal pedal)

:help:[/quote']

* reads "really heavy sound" *

Damn, there goes the "Careful, or you'll cause a disc to slip" joke.

Ain't got a clue about guitars as far as individual type's, but I've found running my shit through an EQ pedal works wonders. The only problem is, it takes shit loads of time to tweak properly if you are wanting a very specific sound, or so I've found.

But yeah, I'm playing a seven string tuned down to F through a Boss MT-2 (Metal Zone), and a Boss GE-7 (Equalizer), and it seems to do a good job of keeping a bassy sound while keeping each note clear. Could do the trick without having to spend out a shit load of cash for a new guitar.

* reads "really heavy sound" *

Damn' date=' there goes the "Careful, or you'll cause a disc to slip" joke.

Ain't got a clue about guitars as far as individual type's, but I've found running my shit through an EQ pedal works wonders. The only problem is, it takes shit loads of time to tweak properly if you are wanting a very specific sound, or so I've found.

But yeah, I'm playing a seven string tuned down to F through a Boss MT-2 (Metal Zone), and a Boss GE-7 (Equalizer), and it seems to do a good job of keeping a bassy sound while keeping each note clear. Could do the trick without having to spend out a shit load of cash for a new guitar.[/quote']

cheers man my other guitarist has that boss metal zone pedal. i was thinking about getting an EQ but never got round to it, i think i will buy one with fridays pay.

Guest Savant

listening to this now...it sounds kinds dry...maybe some reverd would help? you can only do so much with the shit you've got - you'll never get an epiphone LP thru a shitty amp sounding like james hetfields guitar...

try changing you pedal - i thought i had an ace sound til i changed to an mxr pedal and it's so much better!! more warm/smooth sounding! but the pedal's really trebley so i have to keep treble at 0.

i'd try lowering treble a bit and putting more mid in and see how that sounds...

I've never liked peavy amps either...so i'd blame that.

An EQ pedal is great for giving a whole new dimension to your sound. I ordered the MXR KFK-1 Kerry King EQ and it'll work wonders. Try something like the Boss GE-7 and see what you think.

As far as for recording, put your EQ like this (roughly) and see what you think...

Treble - 7

Mid - 6

Bass - 5

Gain - 9

Presence (if you have it) - 7

I find that gives an awesome sound. Also, your pickups are good for metal so you won't need to worry about them. Though personally I prefer EMG but that's just me.

Good luck!

I usually have:

Bass 8-9

Treble 8-9

Mid 5-6

Gain 8-10

Presence 8-9

I love this setup' date=' but it depends what kind of heavy you want to go for? Metallica? Slipknot? Sabbath? You need to be more specific, if you want better ideas.

Andy[/quote']

more along the lines of hatbreed, diecast, terror.....

Guest DustyDeviada

I assume you are miking up this rig rather than just plugging the output into whatever you are using to record? 'Cause if you don't mike up it's going to sound shit unless you use a POD or similar.

depends on your definition of heavy i guess. kyuss were heavy as hell and acheived that by turning the bass up on the guitars as well as the tone down. lots of ultra-heavy bands use bass as their weapon, like eyehategod, iron monkey, sunn o))), earth, electric wizard et all. obviously it depends on the sound you want and these are bands of the stoner, doom, sludge and drone variety. but they are also the heaviest bands around.

find what works for you, i think bands should aim for an individual sound and not just copy another bands sound. saying that though a good way to learn how to work your pedals and amp combo is to listen to cd's and try and copy the guitar sound on those for learning purposes. better to learn how to use your own equipment than to constantly buy new gear. that way you'll be able to adjust the sound how you want it and get what you want a lot easier. then work out what fits for your material. if you must buy a new pedal then an eq pedal is quite handy as has already been stated, i've got a metal zone and it's a lovely little pedal for little money. get em cheap on ebay.

depends on your definition of heavy i guess. kyuss were heavy as hell and acheived that by turning the bass up on the guitars as well as the tone down. lots of ultra-heavy bands use bass as their weapon' date=' like eyehategod, iron monkey, sunn o))), earth, electric wizard et all. obviously it depends on the sound you want and these are bands of the stoner, doom, sludge and drone variety. but they are also the heaviest bands around.

find what works for you, i think bands should aim for an individual sound and not just copy another bands sound. saying that though a good way to learn how to work your pedals and amp combo is to listen to cd's and try and copy the guitar sound on those for learning purposes. better to learn how to use your own equipment than to constantly buy new gear. that way you'll be able to adjust the sound how you want it and get what you want a lot easier. then work out what fits for your material. if you must buy a new pedal then an eq pedal is quite handy as has already been stated, i've got a metal zone and it's a lovely little pedal for little money. get em cheap on ebay.[/quote']

yeh i will get an EQ pedal and try the settings suggested by these nick folk.

any more suggestions?

Dont have the gain setting up to full. Take away the mid or just have a little bit of mid.

Personally I would but a Zoom 3030 pedal (they no longer make them) Can probably pick one up from Ebay. It kicks major ass .

P.S I can take a tape along on Sunday to let you hear it distortion sound. :rockon:

Other people's settings won't get you anywhere unless they have a very similar set up to your own, except by accident of course. That's why they're all different.

Experiment is the best way, it may be that you're guitar/amp just can't do what you want but before spending any money try this:

If it's not bassy enough, turn down both the mids and highs about 50% and increase the master volume until it sounds as loud as it was. Now what's wrong? Still not bassy enough, repeat. Bass is fine but not cutting enough, slip in a bit more treble etc, you get the idea.

(oh yeah, keep your tone on your guitar at half for this, gives you more options once you've got the best sound you can from the amp)

If you have the sound you want in your head, or something similar on CD, you should be able to zero in on it quite easily.

more along the lines of hatbreed' date=' diecast, terror.....[/quote']

If you want to sound like Hatebreed go out and buy a Marshall Mode 4, DSL100 and a Boss Line Selector Pedal....slight problem this *may* cost thousands of pounds.

Trying pedals would be a good option. I can get quite an impressive sound from a little 50watt Marshall combo with a DOD Grunge pedal. Very big and metal sounding. It is an easy pedal to have go fuzzy so I just keep the treble real low. You should look into pedals...even one that you wouldn't normally think about...like the "Grunge."

I can't think of much to add to the discussion other than what others have said...remember the louder you play the more mid you will need in your sound.

Personally I would but a Zoom 3030 pedal (they no longer make them) Can probably pick one up from Ebay. It kicks major ass .

worst advice ever. zoom multi fx are notorious for their shit distortions. every single one I've ever owned or heard has sounded diabolical no matter how much you fuck around with it. forget about multi fx and get a dedicated distortion pedal. Go into R&B and just try out as many as you can with a guitar as similar to your own as you can find in the shop. See what you like.

worst advice ever. zoom multi fx are notorious for their shit distortions. every single one I've ever owned or heard has sounded diabolical no matter how much you fuck around with it. forget about multi fx and get a dedicated distortion pedal. Go into R&B and just try out as many as you can with a guitar as similar to your own as you can find in the shop. See what you like.

I have owned 4 different Zooms and yes, the distortions are shit but not on the Zoom 3030. I will post up a sample next week.

Even the 3030 has some shit distortions, but there is one which kicks major ass for metal.

Ditch the pedals, increase the mids and treble, less gain than you normally would dial up(volume will give the bottom end chunk that you need rather than gain) dont be too heavy with the bass, let the bassist handle some of this, you'll get a better sound as a band!

The sound that you use on your own at low volumes will not work in a band, i always use completely different settings when im playing with drums and bass at volume.