aberdeen-music

Bands That Get Better With Every Album

Kai

I was having a discussion with someone the other day, trying to think if there were any bands that improved with every album they released. In other words the second album has to be better than their debut, and their third album has to be better than their second. And I couldn't really think of any.

But there must be some bands out there that have done it surely? To qualify, the band must have released at least three albums.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't think of any right now... well they have to start with a pretty good album to make an impact, and often it's too hard to keep that standard for the next album. Although I'm sure it could be applied to some bands that don't 'make it' until their third or fourth album.

Guest bluesxman
I was having a discussion with someone the other day' date=' trying to think if there were any bands that improved with every album they released. In other words the second album has to be better than their debut, and their third album has to be better than their second. And I couldn't really think of any.

But there must be some bands out there that have done it surely? To qualify, the band must have released at least three albums.[/quote']

Some may say the Clash managed with The Clash - Give 'Em Enough Rope - London Calling. Before arsing it up with Sandinista!! But I think everyone would have differing views on the quality of each of these.

Guest bluesxman
I was having a discussion with someone the other day' date=' trying to think if there were any bands that improved with every album they released. In other words the second album has to be better than their debut, and their third album has to be better than their second. And I couldn't really think of any.

But there must be some bands out there that have done it surely? To qualify, the band must have released at least three albums.[/quote']

Oh and U2 - Boy - October - War. But again it's personal taste!

Guest bluesxman
Pretty obvious choices' date=' and probably open to debate, but The Beatles, Neil Young, Bob Dylan and Wilco all qualify, I reckon.[/quote']

That's the problem, who decides that an improvement is seen for sure? It's down to personal feelings about the merits of an album....I mean I would go with your Dylan choice right through to Highway 61 Revisited - I prefer that to Blonde on Blonde, although I know many would say 'Huh?'

Guest bluesxman
Some people think Genesis did in: From Genesis to Revelation' date=' Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England, the Lamb.[/quote']

he he he, did Phil Collins have a hand in those....

Guest bluesxman
In the last four.... does that mean that they actually got progressively worse?! ;)

I won't sabotage your thread by starting another Phil Collins debate - he has had more column inches in that other thread than he has anywhere else in years :cheers:

its personal choice and mood dependant but some would say jimmy eat world qualify.

Yeah, I was discussing Jimmy Eat World with Bob in relation to this but we both conceded that Futures isn't quite as good as Bleed American.

By the way saying that Bob Dylan, for instance, has gotten better with every album only holds true if you believe that his most recent album is better than every album of his that preceded it.

bjork.

the only one i can think of which is without question.

really? I wouldn't say medulla is better than her others. I'd probably say Homogenic is her best.

I'd definitely say system of a down, mezmerize> steal this album > toxicity > s/t

Although i know many people like the first the best.

If bright eyes hadn't released "digital ash.." as well as "i'm wide awake..." i would have said them.

Also Nirvana

I would say Muse are a good example of this. Showbiz - Origin of Symmetry - Absolution.

Each one gets progressively more ambitious, the riffs get bigger, the quieter bits get quieter, the louder bits get louder. I love the other two albums so much, but definitely think with each studio release they have raised the bar and got better.

Some people will disagree, but I think they have proven you can improve with each release. fair enough that's only three albums but I am hopeful they can continue in this vein with their new album!

The Living End

Slipknot

The only 2 bands i can say who have managed to release better albums each time. Although both have become more 'mainstream', the songwriting, variation and sound of each album is - in my humble opinion - superior to the previous discs. Both bands also only have 3 proper albums out, and that seems to be the peak of the other bands that i would have put down had their sound not changed so drastially.

Goldfinger - Stomping Ground

Blink - Enema

Oasis - Be Here Now

Bloodhound Gang - Hooray For Boobies

I would say Muse are a good example of this. Showbiz - Origin of Symmetry - Absolution.

Each one gets progressively more ambitious' date=' the riffs get bigger, the quieter bits get quieter, the louder bits get louder. I love the other two albums so much, but definitely think with each studio release they have raised the bar and got better.

Some people will disagree, but I think they have proven you can improve with each release. fair enough that's only three albums but I am hopeful they can continue in this vein with their new album![/quote']

I prefer Origin of Symmetry to Absolution but yeah its personal taste. Absolution certainly sounds quite mature and Matt really goes for it on the piano.

The Living End

Couldn't disagree more! "The Living End" is way better than Hellbound, agreed. It's also far, far, far superior to "Roll On." I hate the Roll On album and adore the "Living End" one. There's no way it was a step forwards - a step backwards in my book. And Modern Artilley is one of the worst albums I own. I was SO gutted when I first heard it. I have listened to it time and time again, but still think it's a truly dreadful album. there is no way it is better than "The Living End." It just doesn't have the groove, the energy or the free -flowing brilliance that was flowing when the band recorded that album.

But all just in my opinion , y'know.

Guest bluesxman

Each one gets progressively more ambitious' date=' the riffs get bigger, the quieter bits get quieter, the louder bits get louder. I love the other two albums so much, but definitely think with each studio release they have raised the bar and got better.

Some people will disagree, but I think they have proven you can improve with each release. fair enough that's only three albums but I am hopeful they can continue in this vein with their new album![/quote']

That's actually a very good one I never thought of.

Couldn't disagree more! "The Living End" is way better than Hellbound' date=' agreed. It's also far, far, far superior to "Roll On." I hate the Roll On album and adore the "Living End" one. There's no way it was a step forwards - a step backwards in my book. And Modern Artilley is one of the worst albums I own. I was SO gutted when I first heard it. I have listened to it time and time again, but still think it's a truly dreadful album. there is no way it is better than "The Living End." It just doesn't have the groove, the energy or the free -flowing brilliance that was flowing when the band recorded that album.

But all just in my opinion , y'know.[/quote']

I have to agree with him.

"The Living End" is much better than "Roll On" and "Modern Artillery"

I can't think of any new example of a band who's album improves each time.