aberdeen-music

Recommend a good guitar lead

Mouse

Pirhana with the Neutrick connects seem to be quite good. I prefer leads with the metal connectors that have the covers which can be screwed off. Then if they break you can easily re-solder them. When I was down at Soundcontrol they had a good value range of their own leads...ask Lewis about those he bought one.

Pirhana with the Neutrick connects seem to be quite good. I prefer leads with the metal connectors that have the covers which can be screwed off. Then if they break you can easily re-solder them. When I was down at Soundcontrol they had a good value range of their own leads...ask Lewis about those he bought one.

Neutrik are the dbs for for two reasons, easily resoldered and the cable clamp which tightens as you screw on the cover. They're expensive compared to most others but it's worth it long term.

My 2nd last lead was a planet waves and it last almost 2 years' date=' shite! My last one was one of the newer planet waves leads that you could switch on and off, it lasted a year! A change in brand is in order, any recommendations?[/quote']

whirlwind...

...'cos my first whirlwind has lasted over 17 years....

you can buy neutrik connectors and cable from Maplins. If you're used to resoldering cables' date=' it's not a big deal to make your own.[/quote']

seconded, the neutrik connectors are about 2 quid each and look sturdy as owt. choose any cable you like from maplin's they'll cut it to length as well. a decent cable can be had for between 50p-100p a metre (WAY cheaper if you buy by reel), so you could be looking at a top notch 10ft cable for about 6-7 quid.

www.monkeyfx.co.uk do some decent cables, using top notch parts, and not too expensive

the other alternative is to make your own, if you can solder its piss easy, and fairly cheap (depending on what parts you use and if you buy in bulk or anything)

i like the planet waves cables i have had, i had one that started dieing (crackling if you stopped playing and wiggled it, though it still worked well enough) so i just got it switched for a new one under the lifetime warranty planet waves have, i just took it back to the shop, they sent it off no questions asked and i got a replacement sent out

David

My 2nd last lead was a planet waves and it last almost 2 years' date=' shite! My last one was one of the newer planet waves leads that you could switch on and off, it lasted a year! A change in brand is in order, any recommendations?[/quote']

What am I doing wrong? The longest a cable has ever lasted for me has been 4/5 months....

spend money on them, if you can't make them yourself you generally get what you pay for with leads. also put them away properly, don't just scrunch them up and chuck em in a bag. roll them properly and use a tie if you have one to keep em good. don't stand on them either. :)

leads are damned important, you look stupid as hell if it fails on you while sound checking or even worse while playing a gig. then you have to try and borrow one as everywhere's shut by then. look after them and they will look after you.

Guest texjamm
........also put them away properly' date=' don't just scrunch them up and chuck em in a bag. roll them properly and use a tie if you have one to keep em good. don't stand on them either. :)[/quote']

Too true. I've found that just by taking a little care over handling of cables the life (and reliability) can be extended greatly. Most people don't know the correct way of wrapping a cable. YUP you read it right, there is a correct way!!! Because the inside of the cable is metal and wrapped in a certain way during manufacture it means that if you handle it wrongly there is a tendency for the wires to weaken and break, leading to either a gradual reduction in sound quality or even worse, unexpected quiet sections during your latest killer gig. (Been there, done that!)

Take a look at:

http://stagecraft.theprices.net/gallery/cablewrap/cablewrap-avi.html

It takes a bit of practice getting into the habit of wrapping and tieing each cable up after use but one of the bonuses is that I no longer have to spend ages before rehearsals and gigs dealing with the mass of wires the "Cable Goblin" has carefully platted and knotted together in my gig bag!!

You don't have to get a mortgage to buy a decent lead, I'm currently using Planet Waves which I find OK. I'm going to try a Klotz cable with Neutrics ends soon as I've heard that they're pretty good.

It still amazes me tho' when I go into certain music shops and they quite happily let you try out the most expensive bass and amp in the shop in the hopes of making a sale and they'll use the nastiest of leads they can find! Mmmm....

Just my thoughts, hope they help.

Mike

Most people don't know the correct way of wrapping a cable. YUP you read it right' date=' there is a correct way!!!

[/quote']

I didn't think anyone would believe me, people generally look at me as if I'm mad when I hold my head in my hands and say:Noooo, don't wrap it like that, the cable doesn't like it, follow the natural contours of the cable, let it dictate it's path (and then lob some PVC or masking tape round it to secure it in it's perfect circleness, not gaffer tape though, too much residue)