aberdeen-music

Knock, knock... Do not use that name...

Guest Zeenat Aman

I once supported 'The Sweet' which was basically Brian Connolly (a sad shaky shadow of himself who couldn't hold a glass of water without dropping it) and three session guys all in their twenties. He died not long after. I now see that playing in Aberdeen recently were...'The Sweet'. Presumably one or two of the original members decided after Brian was dead it was their turn to use the name to churn out Ballroom Blitz once more for a bit of cash. God knows who was singing (probably a session guy in his twenties) but it's all just pathetic.

see also 'Les McKeown's Bay City Rollers' etc. etc.

But when does a band' date=' stop being that band, if you get my meaning?[/quote']

Yeah, well I thought about this as well after seeing the INXS advert on TV - if the guys enjoy playing together then why should they stop? Then again, using their name, as with The Doors, strikes you more as a money grabbing venture rather than anything of artistic merit.

It's probably due to the fact that both have lost their most recognisable asset - their singer. If they'd lost the bassist then I'd doubt we'd bother.

Equally, if there wasn't the whiff of easy money eminating from both ventures then we wouldn't bother either.

But when does a band' date=' stop being that band, if you get my meaning?[/quote']

I don't think a band like The Doors or INXS stop being a band at all, music wise.

Not with some of their songs being put on compilation cds till this day. If its some other kind of band, that really went out the window, dont have players in it still wanting the dream, then no chance for a band any longer.

For the guys in both bands its basically appears they still want a band, want the music, and of course the money that goes with both.

If you ever get that big, I don't think a band can stop being a band, know what I mean?

The industry beast; that is propelled by the money, simply doesnt appear to allow certain bands, to stop being a band.

take care,

Bobbie