aberdeen-music

experimental singing building in aberdeen?

prof_lofi

Bill,

Rather enjoyed the "wind harp" samples. (http://www.yourradioplace.com/tourism/wildsharp.htm )

Maybe you should ask Adeen Harbour about becoming their artist in residence? However they may pay you in Watsons Rum. I think Adeen H are now sponsoring events @ the Ltree so you never actually know!

Dave

PS I wonder what noises the building will make once it is finished ? see http://www.aberdeen-harbour.co.uk/downloads/review_2004.pdf p8 for an artists impression

Bill' date='

Rather enjoyed the "wind harp" samples. (http://www.yourradioplace.com/tourism/wildsharp.htm )

Maybe you should ask Adeen Harbour about becoming their artist in residence? However they may pay you in Watsons Rum. I think Adeen H are now sponsoring events @ the Ltree so you never actually know!

Dave

PS I wonder what noises the building will make once it is finished ? see http://www.aberdeen-harbour.co.uk/downloads/review_2004.pdf p8 for an artists impression

hey dave,

thanx....i don't know, i'd love it if they'd take me 'in residence'...especially since i actually do reside here!) ...we'll see. who could i email for them to atleast be aware of the recordings? maybe someone on that pdf link?

and paid in rum? well i don't drink but i'd hold some wicked parties if that was my pay :)

and great link btw...i

Superb.

I'd hazard a guess that it's the top of the scaffolding acting like a bottle neck, there's not a lot of openings on that type of scaffold, so as long as the structure isn't higher than the scaffold you'll still be able to enjoy it on windy days (no shortage of them round here).

that's a pretty spectacular found sound, must have been a rather surreal moment when you first noticed it - the unfiltered version is great, sounds like something off the eraserhead soundtrack. Sorry if this is an old question, but what gear do you use to do these mobile recordings?

i think i could listen to that all day.

how did you filter out the surrounding sounds?

hey, i used a sound editing program called wavelab, in conjunction with plugins made by another company called waves (xnoise, 10q eq filter, and L3 sonic maximizer) and i think i normalized the final product to bring up the volume. sounds fancy but it's pretty straight forward.

that's a pretty spectacular found sound' date=' must have been a rather surreal moment when you first noticed it - the unfiltered version is great, sounds like something off the eraserhead soundtrack. Sorry if this is an old question, but what gear do you use to do these mobile recordings?[/quote']

hey gridlock,

well on this occasion i used a portable dat player, a seinheisser mic, and a really good windprotector (the mic sits in a cradle, covered by a special shell, and then covered with a fluffy furry thing to block the sounds of wind)...

but on the occasions that i don't have access to that setup (it's the universities and i can borrow it once in while as a grad student) i use a minidisc recorder and binaural okmII microphones that sit in your ears...they're very affordable and excellent...but not good at blocking wind (though they do make special headphone covers that look like earmuffs...kiss impressing the ladies goodbye while wearing those though!)

so yeah, that's it really...basically a minidisc recorder and a decent mic is all you need. let me know if you have any questions, or you can check out the phonography site that talks about lots of this here: http://phonography.org/

talk to you soon,

b.

I was influenced by the recording of the building sounds so I recorded sounds on my phone in hospital. A guy get me awake all night with his shouting (he was in a lot of pain I reckon) anyway, I recorded this on my phone! Also has the sound of Nurses pushing trollies past. Sounds pretty cool!

I was influenced by the recording of the building sounds so I recorded sounds on my phone in hospital. A guy get me awake all night with his shouting (he was in a lot of pain I reckon) anyway' date=' I recorded this on my phone! Also has the sound of Nurses pushing trollies past. Sounds pretty cool![/quote']

you should post it as an mp3!

I thought phones weren't supposed to be used it hospitals :p

The mp3 is amazing by the way....there is a real beauty in that sound...very atmospheric...I just can't imagine what that would have been like at the time!!!!

Heh, I listened to the unfiltered version first, not realising there was a filtered version, and funnily enough was ready with pretty much the same plug ins you specified to try hear it better ;)

ugh' date=' not to be uncool or anything, but what's gravfest?

{bill is reminded again that he's still new here!']

thanx for the vote either way :)

Bill,

Gavfest is a free festival, run by a guy called Gav and his friends. I think Lime mentioned it because Gav is very much looking for an electronica act to complete the line up.

Last year, it involved a newly built stage, camping, bbq, nine bands with varying styles (including electro goth rock, stripped acoustic, art punk, pop, emo, and new wave), and an audience of near 200 people.

It's good fun, honest!

Alastair

I thought phones weren't supposed to be used it hospitals :p

The mp3 is amazing by the way....there is a real beauty in that sound...very atmospheric...I just can't imagine what that would have been like at the time!!!!

Heh' date=' I listened to the unfiltered version first, not realising there was a filtered version, and funnily enough was ready with pretty much the same plug ins you specified to try hear it better ;)[/quote']

thanx! yeah, it was really surreal to walk out of my flat and just hear this ringing all ocross the village. it's gone now though, they've done just a little bit of work on the building but whatever little bit they did has stopped it from singing. too bad, because it was really cool.

Bill' date='

Gavfest is a free festival, run by a guy called Gav and his friends. I think Lime mentioned it because Gav is very much looking for an electronica act to complete the line up.

Last year, it involved a newly built stage, camping, bbq, nine bands with varying styles (including electro goth rock, stripped acoustic, art punk, pop, emo, and new wave), and an audience of near 200 people.

It's good fun, honest!

Alastair[/quote']

wow, that sounds really cool. when is it? if you know him (or whoever books his shows) and he's up for something really out there, maybe send him my email address or to my site (www.billthompson.org)...there's quite a few mp3s/m3u's and links to past shows of mine under the 'gallery' and 'works' links. it's been a while since i've done an outdoor show (the last time someone flung a beer at us! hah!) :)

Guest treader.

That's fucking amazing. What a wonderful find.

I went down fittie way earlier, went right up to the building, couldn't hear anything, but then it was raining, and may be a lot further on in being built, therefore less likely to make the noises...maybe...?

That's fucking amazing. What a wonderful find.

I went down fittie way earlier' date=' went right up to the building, couldn't hear anything, but then it was raining, and may be a lot further on in being built, therefore less likely to make the noises...maybe...?[/quote']

nah, i think they've somehow changed something..put up some boards where the wind was making it sing...i don't know if they did it on purpose, but thinking about it, if it was resonating as load as it was for that long, there probably was a real danger of the building vibrating itself to bits...so maybe they muted it on purpose. really wish it was still singing though, it truly was amazing.