aberdeen-music

Drum lessons?

Salty

Anyone know anyone that teaches drums? I asked in Bruce Millers but they don't use a proper kit, they have an electric one beacause of the noise. I want to play on proper drums though because that's what'll be practising on.

Somewhere cheap would be nice aswell.

Anyone know anyone that teaches drums? I asked in Bruce Millers but they don't use a proper kit' date=' they have an electric one beacause of the noise. I want to play on proper drums though because that's what'll be practising on.

Somewhere cheap would be nice aswell.[/quote']

Archer Kemp and Nick Gibson are among the best in Aberdeen....they teach at Capt Toms and Prosound respectively. You'll be more than 20/hour for each though.

Alternatively, I've been planning on doing some teaching for ages. I've been playing for the best part of 15 years and can play rock, funk, jazz, latin.... so if you're interested, drop me a PM to let me know what you're looking for.

Cheers

Neil

If you're brave enough to treck down to Donbank Primary in Tillydrone on a Monday night around 7pm, you can get taught by the world famous Japo :D Japo taught myself and more note worthy, my cousin Ross how to play drums...the charge used to be 1, I'm sure its maybe like 2 now or something, hardly breaks the bank! Japo is also the soundest guy in the world and the worlds funniest drunk on the rare occasions I've seen him drunk....

Yeah Japo used to teach me when I was at the TYP many moons ago, he's a really good drummer, and a sound guy.

Archer Kemp is fantastic, but if you've only been playing under 5 years and may not be that good, i doubt paying 20 p/h would be a wise investment, just to learn mozambique rhythms and everything from the Drum-tech sylabus which can be learned by reading "The art of the drummer" and will only cost you 15

Pro-sound have a good setup, but nick teaches elsewhere due to demand. Still really good tho.

Mike

Anyone know anyone that teaches drums? I asked in Bruce Millers but they don't use a proper kit' date=' they have an electric one beacause of the noise. I want to play on proper drums though because that's what'll be practising on.

Somewhere cheap would be nice aswell.[/quote']

IMO, whether they teach on electronic or acoustic drums should be completely secondary to the quality of the teacher. Archer and Nick are both excellent teachers and it would be daft to exclude Nick just cos he teaches on electronic drums. The guy has phenomenal hand technique, so you would learn heaps even if he was teaching on pillows!

Equally, it is wrong to say that all Archer does is teach out of a 15 book as was mentioned elsewhere. I had lessons with Archer for more than a year, and received a huge amount of advice over-and-above the stuff in the book. Anyway, what teacher doesnt use books to support the stuff they're teaching? Since Drumtech is one of the best teaching schools in the UK, it's a bit harsh to criticise the syllabus.....never did me any harm.

99% of your practice should be done at home on your own kit and the 1% with the teacher is just to point you in the right direction...so why does it matter whether they play electronic? Hand/foot technique, independence, phrasing, styles can all be taught on electronic drums quite easily....not rocket science to apply it to an acoustic set.

Guest texjamm
Alternatively' date=' I've been planning on doing some teaching for ages. I've been playing for the best part of 15 years and can play rock, funk, jazz, latin.... so if you're interested, drop me a PM to let me know what you're looking for.

Cheers

Neil[/quote']

Its worth speaking to "Hugh Jazz" (Neil) about lessons as he's a cracking drummer and would definitely point you in the right direction. (And no, I'm not working on a commission basis....)

Mike

99% of your practice should be done at home on your own kit and the 1% with the teacher is just to point you in the right direction...so why does it matter whether they play electronic? Hand/foot technique' date=' independence, phrasing, styles can all be taught on electronic drums quite easily....not rocket science to apply it to an acoustic set.[/quote']

What about the 99% of us who can't afford a drum kit or a nice country mansion where we can make the noise (tapping my foot along to a record at home almost lead to an ASBO here....) The noise a real drum kit produces is exciting, and is half the reason people want to play drums! Also, I can play an electronic kit a hell of a lot better than I can play an accoustic kit, and they trigger rimshots etc way too easily, I think you should start on a real kit. Its like guitar, an accoustic guitar for the beginner will be a bastard on the fingers and hands, but then an electric will be a piss of piece after that. I now struggle like hell when I go back to an accoustic for the first time in a while....accoustic shit is where its at!!

Just my 2,000,000 worth...

What about the 99% of us who can't afford a drum kit or a nice country mansion where we can make the noise (tapping my foot along to a record at home almost lead to an ASBO here....) The noise a real drum kit produces is exciting' date=' and is half the reason people want to play drums! Also, I can play an electronic kit a hell of a lot better than I can play an accoustic kit, and they trigger rimshots etc way too easily, I think you should start on a real kit. Its like guitar, an accoustic guitar for the beginner will be a bastard on the fingers and hands, but then an electric will be a piss of piece after that. I now struggle like hell when I go back to an accoustic for the first time in a while....accoustic shit is where its at!!

Just my 2,000,000 worth...[/quote']

Lessons don't instantly endow you with ability, so if you've no means of practice I'd question the point in forking out 20 each time in the first place. Lessons are for pointing folk in the right direction. It's the subsequent practice that makes you a better player.

How many guitarists pay for lessons that dont own a guitar? Maybe I'm wrong but it seems totally pointless to me.

As for this argument about electronic vs acoustic, surely the over-riding concern with lessons is getting the RIGHT kind of advice.....so do you a) get lessons from a professional teacher with loads of experience like Nick on an electronic kit; or with b) anyone else who will teach on acoustic?

Some aspects of hand/foot technique are IDEALLY better studied on an acoustic kit, cos electronic kits are a bit too forgiving....but a huge amount of teaching concerns independence, grooves, phrasing etc, and this can be done on an electronic kit quite easily.

HJ

PS. I only play acoustic!

So.....I know nothing about drums, not too sure if that's clear, and I'm now more confused than before. Would it not be better to be taught on what you're going to practise on? Like Keilan said abou the guitars, what's the point of playing an electric at home when you're going to get lessons on an acoustic. Is it any different with drums?

I need help in buying a kit aswell, I don't really want to be disturbing the neighbours and I'm moving out soon so I need something I can fit into a flat too.

So.....I know nothing about drums' date=' not too sure if that's clear, and I'm now more confused than before. Would it not be better to be taught on what you're going to practise on? Like Keilan said abou the guitars, what's the point of playing an electric at home when you're going to get lessons on an acoustic. Is it any different with drums?

I need help in buying a kit aswell, I don't really want to be disturbing the neighbours and I'm moving out soon so I need something I can fit into a flat too.[/quote']

Electronic kits sound different, and the pads feel a little different to proper drum heads....but as I've said earlier, the technique is largely the same, and I would argue that you could get taught on either since there are far more similarities between electronic/acoustic drums than there are between electric/acoustic guitar.

I doubt it really matters what kit your on, like was mentioned before the technique is largley the same, Ive spent thousands of hours on both and changing from acoustic to electronic to acoustic again done me no harm at all, In fact Im a better drummer for it....

And I never said archer teaches out of a book, Ive had lessons with him. The stuff I was taught was in the "art of the drummer", I was in the process of doing that book so i went elsewhere and paid 45 p/h for lessons and even when I paid 45 p/h the stuff that was taught to me was in "advanced funk studies" by rick lathem

• 2 weeks later...
If you're brave enough to treck down to Donbank Primary in Tillydrone on a Monday night around 7pm' date=' you can get taught by the world famous Japo :D Japo taught myself and more note worthy, my cousin Ross how to play drums...the charge used to be 1, I'm sure its maybe like 2 now or something, hardly breaks the bank! Japo is also the soundest guy in the world and the worlds funniest drunk on the rare occasions I've seen him drunk....[/quote']

Indeed!!