aberdeen-music

Flying

Hog

I hate it too. I have two six hour plane rides coming up in a fortnight. I'm extremely paranoid of getting a DVT for various legitimate reasons I can't be bothered typing out. I'm also terrified of crashing, and in fact on any plane ride or high speed car journey I obsess over what would happen in different crash scenarios. I've never told anyone that before. How confessional the internet is at 1am with only two goldfish for company.

I had a conversation on a trip to amsterdam with a 6 year old girl who couldn't stop shaking. I gave her the spiel about you're more likely to die in a car crash than a plane crash, but she wasn't buying it, she just looked at me with renewed terror and said " i think we're getting a taxi from the airport"

I love flying, though I got paranoid on the way to spain when I looked out the window to see a fighter jet tailing us and started looking around the plane for Kurt Russell.

Guest Cowboy Dan

I've been on about 30 flights in my lifetime, going to australia again over christmas, that's 24 hours of flying each way. I have no problem with flying, just so long as they have the TVs on the back of the seats.

I'm not a fan of it, I've been on heaps of flights in my life,longest flights being to Detroit and another to New York. I freaked out on the latter, crying and everything, I really worried my dad (I was about 17 at the time, mortifyingly embarrassing). Strangely I flew to Gran Canaria a few months later and was fine.

To be honest I'm one of those people who worries about stupid things like that most of the time, I don't let it get too obsessive, but I get irrational worries about crashing/falling/general pain quite a lot. Best way to combat a fear of flying? A few stiff drinks and some headphones coupled with the knowledge that if the plane does go down there's nothing you can do anyway, so why worry about something you can't prevent.

Not that it's ever helped me :( I get flight fear just thinking about it now *shudders*

I LOVE flying. I get all excited like a kid when the plane's taking off and landing. I get excited when the captain starts telling us what the weather's like and how high the plane is. I get excited when the stewardess hands out the thimbleful of juice and three bits of rubber and sawdust that constitutes an in-flight meal. I get excited when we're coming in to land and the engines screech and the plane starts plummetting and the seatbelt lights come on. And most of all, I get excited when the plane bursts through all those grey Scottish clouds into an absolutely endless expanse of blue sky.

I love flying.

AKM

Oh, and I forgot to mention how much I love airports too.

I did a lot of gliding and flying when I was in the air cadets years ago, best fun ever.

I ended up doing a 20 hour flying course in Cessnas, paid for by the RAF. After eight hours flying the instructor got out told me to go up and do a couple of circuits. Scariest moment of my life. I was 17, just started learning to drive, and suddenly I'm flying a plane on my own. o_O

I'm going to try and finish my PPL when I manage to save enough money / win the lottery. it's damn expensive.

The furthest I've been on a plane is London, but that was exciting enough for me, especially doing it every week. Airports are a fucking hassle, I'd rather just walk on than all the bullshit, but I guess we're all potential terrorists these days. Airport cafes are overpriced aswell.

But the taking off is ace....and when the weather is clear the view is awesome. Landings always suck, then the time waiting for baggage sucks aswell (hint..travel light) but yeah... love it. What I fucking hate are ferries...I thought I had finally conquered travel sickness until I was on a ferry, and we're talking a short dover-calais run here...

I love flying! One of my worst memories of flying was on Scandinavian Airlines when I was about six, I was waiting for the toilet and this Norwegian lady went in the toilet but then came out and smiled, saying that I could go first. I thought I was incredibly lucky, but when I went in there was shite smeared all over the back half of the seat :puke:

But last time I went on holiday we flew to Singapore and then Sydney so it was a pretty long flight, and we were sitting next to the toilets so people were queueing behind me for them. So I did the quiz game they had on the in-flight game thingy a load of times until I knew all the questions and then I looked SO intelligent to all of those people in the queue. :) Also, my little sister and I always scare my littler sister by flying our hands like planes and then making them spiral off in odd directions, or collide with walls, or just plain crash, with magnificent sound effects. Or make comments like, "Well, I'm pleasantly surprised after such a peaceful takeoff. Then again, it is only 65% of Qantas planes that crash." Juvenile... :D

Flying is great fun....but long journeys with shitty small seats are rubbish....i love airplane chat aswell...you can hear people say the most stupid things....my mum was coming back from Houston last week when a lady returned from the toilet...she then leant over her seat and said to my mum 'ive just started my period' ......classic.....

Guest bluesxman

Doesn't bother me, kind of had to get used to it when I worked offshore - used to have to get a plane to Shetland then a chopper to the platform. First time flying = first trip offshore!

oooooh i love it all, the trip to the airport, the handing over of baggage, the scanning of hand-luggage, the 'beeps' of the body scan, the wait in the departure lounge, finding my seat, watching the 'in case of emergency' videos/sheets, take-off, inflight movie, the sucking noise the toilet makes, the fold-down table, the window seat, the breakthrough of clouds, watching tiny little boats, flying over my house, flying over britain in general, flying over the sea, the aeroplane chat, the ears-popping, the wee sweets, the tiny coke cans, the tax-free trolley, the pilots announcements, landing, the burst of heat, the foreign language in the airport, the chance to sit down and have a fag, picking up my luggage, excited people, waiting for a taxi..

the only bitt i dont like is the taxi in a foreign country, they all drive so fucking fast and swervy-like.

flying = yum :D

being in the cadets i got to fly quite alot which was kool being up in an AWACs at RAF Waddington was the best but the food wasnt great

being in the RAF now theres plenty of chances to fly, gunna put my name down for a flight in a hawk i think! ( hawk is the same aircraft as a red arrow if anyone doesnt know)