aberdeen-music

The Whinging Bastards (and trolls) Thread

The Ghost Of Fudge

I think you just kinda agreed with him there' date=' tbh...

You get venues which have a bar. The Moorings is a bar which has a venue.

This is not a bad thing.[/quote']

being pedantic, but Jamsey called it a pub, it can be called alot of things as its pretty much a multi task premises, but a pub....na not close. There's a pub round the corner from my house, and its a pub, plain and simple...nada else :D

xx

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All that has happened recently is' date=' We have improved the sound again. We have done this with the new tonally flat monitors, fully acoustically deadened stage and some special adjustments ;).

We have just completed the new backline update, which now includes:

Marshall DSL 100 & 4x12

ENGL Powerball & 4x12

Ampeg SVT2 Pro with 4x10

all is ready for any band to use if they so wish.

If anyone wants to try the amps etc come down on a Sunday and have a jam.

Mark[/quote']

damn improved it "again", better than when we were last there?

Nice one!!

best xx

Ha ha I love this thread!

Since your post comes accross as derogatory I'll respond to it.

Fortunately the world isn't classified acording to Jamesy (though he is entitled to his opinion). This issue of what does and doesn't constitute a venue has appeared on many threads regarding many err venues (or not as the case may be).

The general consensus is that a venue means:

i) puts on live music

ii) stage

iii) toilets

iv) installed sound system capable of supporting live music

v) mixing desk

vi) stage lighting rig

vii) stage monitors

viii) microphones and stands

ix) space for punters where the stage is visible and the music audible

X) Garth

A venue need not be a licensed premises' date=' it may or may not sell either food or drink, and it may or may not have a door charge. If it does have a door charge then it should probably have a ticket hatch.

Not required but to be taken as an indication of the quality of the venue are:

i) house engineer

ii) elements of house backline for use if required

iii) involvement with music promoters

iv) supply of consumables such as sticks, strings, skins.

v) ancillary equipment such as tuner

We have all of the above. Can anyone think of anything else worth adding to this list?

So obviously The Moorings can be classed as a venue but only on Sat/Sun nights. It's not a dedicated venue, it does have other functions.

For instance we have a movie quality projector, a widescreen, and a sound system capable of supporting dolby digital. We have the facility to block out all light, have seats facing the screen, and toilets. Thus when we show a movie, the place technically becomes a cinema.

Furthermore we have a dancefloor, a sound system capable of playing recorded music at high volume, DJ decks, DJ mixer, and a lighting rig dedicated to the dancefloor. Thus when a DJ takes over we effectively become a discoteque/ballroom/dancehall - call it what you will.

And there's more *yawn*. We have a commercial quality 24-track digital live recording setup, a deadened stage area, a house engineer, industry standard microphones, a mixing desk, gates, compressors, EQ, FX, and recording media. Thus very occasionally we function as a recording studio. But 99% of the time we just do live recording.

[b']BUT technically the Moorings is not a pub LOL. Seriously - here's why:

The term 'pub' originates from public house. A public house was originally a brewery's outlet for it's beer. The Moorings has never been a brewery outlet. Instead throughout it's entire life it has been a 'Free House', meaning free of a brewery tie. That can be witnessed now in that we take supplies from multiple brewers. A 16th century coaching house used to stand on the site before the existing building was erected.

The term 'pub' has latterly come to mean somewhere that incorporates a bar, and a lounge, and also serves meals in addition to drink. The Moorings is one room with a bar running down one side. This configuration is traditionally termed 'a bar'. Which is why we are called 'The Moorings Bar'. The only food we serve is the odd intermittent toasties that are prepared elsewhere.

The Moorings is primarily a bar. Most of the time it functions as a bar. And it's a damn good bar!

You don't read so much about the other aspects of The Moorings, chiefly because this website is music related, so we tend to focus more on the venue, dancehall, and live recording facilities. However we are equally active on other fronts, such as CAMRA for instance.

I haven't seen you around for a while Jamesy, and like Mark said, things have moved on a bit in recent months.

Something thought provoking... while we are only a P/T venue, we have invested more time, effort, and finances into the quality of our facilities than most other 'dedicated' venues. It's been a long haul, a lot of hard work, involved some difficult decisions, and some extremely complex problems. But it's also been interesting, exciting, challenging, and rewarding.

:)

You really like me, dont you?

For me, the main feature of The Moorings is the bar, and the stage is secondary to that, more people go there to drink than to see gigs, in my humble opinion, hence my comments.

You really like me' date=' dont you?

For me, the main feature of The Moorings is the bar, and the stage is secondary to that, more people go there to drink than to see gigs, in my humble opinion, hence my comments.[/quote']

Hey now! I wasn't being shitty to you - just having a little fun. It's Sunday and I've got bugger all else to do till I start work at 6pm.

And as Frosty pointed out, I agreed with what you said, just not the way you said it.

And yes you're correct in that we tend to be busier on the Friday when there's no band, than on the Saturday when there are bands. But I suspect this may be down to the preference of the playing public to listen to Paranoid for the nth time!

BTW The implication (made by others) in this thread is that MMW have refused to play gigs with us. I hope that's not true because I would like you to play The Moorings. OK I did ban you from the stage for a month, but then we shook hands and made up... before the concrete set... so that's all in the past now.

Hey now! I wasn't being shitty to you - just having a little fun. It's Sunday and I've got bugger all else to do till I start work at 6pm.

And as Frosty pointed out' date=' I agreed with what you said, just not the way you said it.

And yes you're correct in that we tend to be busier on the Friday when there's no band, than on the Saturday when there are bands. But I suspect this may be down to the preference of the playing public to listen to Paranoid for the nth time!

BTW The implication (made by others) in this thread is that MMW have refused to play gigs with us. I hope that's not true because I would like you to play The Moorings. OK I did ban you from the stage for a month, but then we shook hands and made up... before the concrete set... so that's all in the past now.[/quote']

It's all good, I wasn't being shitty either...I just say things how I see them, y'know?

As for the band, if a gig came up at The Moorings that we thought would further the band, or be beneficial, then we certainly wouldn't let the fact it's at The Moorings prevent us from playing, I just don't think we've been offered anything to suit yet, or we've had something else previously booked, we hardly play in Aberdeen at all now anyways, seems to be working wonders.

• 6 months later...
bands still refuse invitations to fudge gigs there on the basis "the sound is shit and you don't get a soundcheck". which is a shame i feel.

you might not get a soundcheck' date=' but even radio lucifer were praising the sound onstage when i 'interviewed' the little buggers last week...[/quote']

I have been trying to get us a gig at the moorings for ages emailed people posted on here even went to the moorings with one of our discs (from elgin) but not heared anything so if you want to invite us Third Floor Rising we'll come and rock the shit out of the place soundcheck or no soundcheck! www.thirdfloorising.com

Cheers

Stu TFR:up:

they have a song on the ab-music radio bri...called higher i think... sounds okay, no offence, but i recon their songs COULD all sound sam-ey, havent heard others tho so i dont know yet. catchy song...

rented flat, y'see.

and tiscalli continued to help themselves to £20 a month from my account, even AFTER a prevous 12 month contact run out, despite me trying to stop the fuckers. just as i was going to phone watchdog and complain about the bloodsucking leeches, my credit card expired and they started sending "oh cripes, you'll soon lose your broadband connection, quick, give us your new card number!" messages. i hadn't even used the frigging broadband for a year. and they were still taking out the cash. cunts.

i'm finished now. that was quite cathartic.

rented flat' date=' y'see.

and tiscalli continued to help themselves to 20 a month from my account, even AFTER a prevous 12 month contact run out, despite me trying to stop the fuckers. just as i was going to phone watchdog and complain about the bloodsucking leeches, my credit card expired and they started sending "oh cripes, you'll soon lose your broadband connection, quick, give us your new card number!" messages. i hadn't even used the frigging broadband for a year. and they were still taking out the cash. cunts.

i'm finished now. that was quite cathartic.[/quote']

you can get broadband in a rented flat.

i was gunna write aoHELL!

i fucking hate it, it rules my life! my mum likes it though, because of the simple one program for email and websites ect.

she wont listen to me, its not even proper broadband, i have to log on everytime i use it. LAME.

rented flat' date=' y'see.

and tiscalli continued to help themselves to 20 a month from my account, even AFTER a prevous 12 month contact run out, despite me trying to stop the fuckers. just as i was going to phone watchdog and complain about the bloodsucking leeches, my credit card expired and they started sending "oh cripes, you'll soon lose your broadband connection, quick, give us your new card number!" messages. i hadn't even used the frigging broadband for a year. and they were still taking out the cash. cunts.

i'm finished now. that was quite cathartic.[/quote']

Direct debit is where its at!!

I cancelled my broadband with Demon without even telling them as I was moving house, so I just cancelled the direct debit...the flat I moved to wasn't adsl enabled at the time....as soon as it was I was straight back onto demon whom I probably owed a lot money and got a new account set up no problems, off the same bank account for direct debit! Whats more, they kept the old account live so I now had twice as much webspace and two node names/email addresses! DEMON!!!!

can't see any music on your website: i wouldn't book i can't hear.

i don't have the cd you mentioned either... pm me and i'll send you my postal address if you want

Most of the pages on the website have one of our tracks playing when you open the page including the home page, song page and gig listing page but I'd be happy to send you a disc. Thanks for the reply.

Stu TFR

they have a song on the ab-music radio bri...called higher i think... sounds okay' date=' no offence, but i recon their songs COULD all sound sam-ey, havent heard others tho so i dont know yet. catchy song...[/quote']

Thanks for the nod no offence taken,:up: though I'm not sure how you can tell from hearing one of our songs that they all sound samey! but again thanks for taking the time to mention us and hopefully you'll get the chance to hear our other material and find it's not all samey but still catchy.

Cheers

Stu TFR