aberdeen-music

The Whinging Bastards (and trolls) Thread

The Ghost Of Fudge

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

I must say that during my years as a touring musician I haven't ever visited a club with a better sound than The Moorings Bar. FFS You don't even have to bring any amps in!!

We even flew over to Scotland just to play The Moorings 'cause we knew it was going to be good.

So to whoever complains about the setup at Moorings.. Stop playing in your mum's kitchen, get out on the road and play some real venues. You'll come crying to Flash about playing The Moorings..

/D

www.myspace.com/rocknrollidiots

I must say that during my years as a touring musician I haven't ever visited a club with a better sound than The Moorings Bar. FFS You don't even have to bring any amps in!!

We even flew over to Scotland just to play The Moorings 'cause we knew it was going to be good.

So to whoever complains about the setup at Moorings.. Stop playing in your mum's kitchen, get out on the road and play some real venues. You'll come crying to Flash about playing The Moorings..

/D

woop de...

some bands just prefer to use (and are more familiar with) their own gear/own cabs. it is hardly anything against flash/mark or the bar.

if i played through a custom built matamp, why would i want to go through a marshall or an engl? if i want to put my guitar through a custom built bass cab??

some bands just have their own preferences.

woop de...

some bands just prefer to use (and are more familiar with) their own gear/own cabs. it is hardly anything against flash/mark or the bar.

if i played through a custom built matamp, why would i want to go through a marshall or an engl? if i want to put my guitar through a custom built bass cab??

Fit like balloon heid? As you are well aware, there are no issues whatsoever with people bringing their own guitar heads. Some bands choose to go through our amps because they don't want the hassle of lugging their own around. Supragod for instance chose to show up with the following items:

1 x cowbell - which we were happy to accomodate.

As far as speaker cabs go... there is little or nothing to be gained from using a different cab. The sound from the cab must travel through:

mic

preamp

mixer

active XO

poweramp

passive XO

PA speaker

The PAs installed in most venues lack sufficient fidelty to distinguish the nuances imparted by a particular speaker cab. In The Moorings it would be possible... but only if the guitarist played solo to an empty room. Once the rest of the band, plus the sound of 150 pissed punters kicks in... forget about it!

If someone perceives its as being imperative that they play through a particular cab, then there are plenty other venues prepared to cater for this. Or, to experience complete artisitc freedom, they could play a DIY gig. Nobody is forcing them to be subjected to the inhumane treatment they might receive from some cunt at The Moorings. Likewise I am not a public servant, and am under no obligation to tolerate the whims of some primadonna on a power trip.

LMAO!

woop de...

Bring you heads that isnt a problem (only when it is a 50 P O C) or when they just plug a rack of pedals in front of it where the head is doing nothing to the sound, but thats their choice.

As for the Bass Cab, There is None better than an Ampeg, There are enough Pro users to back this up, and Fact any bigger than a 10" driver will sound poor through a mic with bass.

im not really disputing any facts, was merely saying that people have their own preferences regardless of what is "better" or not. ampeg cabs are the best and i certainly wouldnt be stupid enough to dispute that

i.e. i would rather play through my new amp ( http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/Bass_400_/bass_400_.html ) than the ampeg in house. not really a slur vs the ampeg, which is a good amp.

im not really disputing any facts, was merely saying that people have their own preferences regardless of what is "better" or not. ampeg cabs are the best and i certainly wouldnt be stupid enough to dispute that

i.e. i would rather play through my new amp ( http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/Bass_400_/bass_400_.html ) than the ampeg in house. not really a slur vs the ampeg, which is a good amp.

And that would also be fine, Heads are easy to change cabs not so easy (on our stage)

I would like to hear it sometime.

woop de...

Most of this has already been answered but I'll have to give it my point of view.

For example:

My rig consists of 1 Mesa/Boogie Bass 400 (not +) and a Marshall 4x12 Bass cabinet.

This is what I'd prefer to use everyday of the week. I've also owned several Ampegs and never really agreed with them. (everything just sounds so... Ampeg in them)

But... If the inhouse gear are already setup, already plugged in to the PA and sounding good. Why change? I mean it's not like its a 20 combo lined up. It state of the art gear which most bands can't even afford to buy for themselves.

I for one will never bring anthing but my bass and a cable to The Moorings.

As for guitarplayers. We all know that guitarplayers are picky little whiners (said with love ;) ) But most of them as said use pedals to destroy ther "custom built Matamp" sound anyways.. Much like the guitarists I play with. One of them who actually owns a Matamp.

I don't really know exactly where I'm going with this.. haha.. But anyways...

Inhouse gear = Hell Yes!

I wish more venues did what The Moorings has done. Which is to supply a perfect setup for any band to be at their best, with a good stage and an excellent sound.

/D

When I am on holiday I would prefer to shit down my own toilet. But that doesn't mean I go dragging it along with me, on the expectation that the hotel will be happy to provide a plumber.

Most people prefer to play through their own gear... but where do you draw the line? Do we start switching drumkits between bands??? PA's??? Lighting rigs??? The stage???

If someone wishes total *COUGH* artistic freedom then they should rent the AECC. If that's too expensive, then a function room, or a scout hut. But will this level of self indulgance result in a better gig? The punters vote with their feet.

4 years ago we let bands do entirely their own thing. There was no house gear, no PA, no lights, no engineer, and no stage. That didn't work too well! It was a very low quality experience. Most weeks all you could hear was screeching feedback.

None of the audience notice anything other than the performance itself... with the exception of feedback and 45 minute changeovers... during which time many will get bored and leave.

Another issue is wear and tear. Reliability factored strongly in the choice of house gear. Start switching everything around and it becomes expensive in terms of consumables, spares, repairs, and replacement. Having a house backline effectively costs us 50 per week - and that's without tearing it down 4 times every Saturday.

Three rules of thumb have become apparent:

1) The less gear we swap around the better it sounds.

2) Better musicians require less phaffing about.

3) The more a band has toured the easier they are to please.

The high maintenance primadonnas are better suited to playing somewhere else.

• 9 months later...

I would suggest that The Moorings is one of the very few (possibly the only) venues of it's size in the country who bother their arse to do it right.

I've heard some live recordings from there and they are first class. And I know what I'm on about.

• 2 weeks later...

Sound

Loved reading this thread. The nice long answers by Flash indicate one thing to me, these guys know what they're doing and WHY they're doing it.

All in all, would really love to play the Moorings... sure I've mailed before... think my profile has links to our tracks, if not, it's on MySpace under Collington X. I don't know if this will do in terms of putting us forward for a gig, if not, what's the best way to contact (given that I am sure I did before, but didn't hear a thing back.... or was this possibly a hint and I should quit while I'm ahead?? :-)

Collington X

All in all, would really love to play the Moorings... sure I've mailed before... think my profile has links to our tracks, if not, it's on MySpace under Collington X. I don't know if this will do in terms of putting us forward for a gig, if not, what's the best way to contact (given that I am sure I did before, but didn't hear a thing back.... or was this possibly a hint and I should quit while I'm ahead?? :-)

The bar doesn't arrange any gigs of it's own accord. We do however run a jam session on Sundays and any band is welcome to come along and play then.

Brian Fudge, the Ghost of Fudge on this site, runs the Saturday gigs as a separate enterprise. He books the bands, takes the money on the door, pays the bands, the door person, acts as the DJ, and absorbs the risk.

If you are looking for a Saturday gig then Brian is the best person to contact. He also looks after The Moorings Bar MySpace page.

If you feel so inclined then you can accost Brian in the bar. He can be found there:

Saturday afternoons

Saturday evenings

Tuesday evenings (I think)

And on the 2nd Friday evening of each month

Be warned that Brian has a short attention span and his eyes may glaze over as you talk at him ;)

• 2 months later...

Last time we played in the Moorings the sound was absoluley dead on .. no soundcheck because it only takes these guys about 3 seconds to get the noise perfect anyway.. it's better to use the house gear ( well for me because i use the same amp....) becasue changovers are very boring to watch and people will go out .. smoke..and then not come back to watch your band.. which is crap.. why people would refuse a gig at the moorings at all especially as a result of a complaint about the sound quality is pretty much as bad as having 'fanny' tattoed on yer head..

• 11 months later...