aberdeen-music

Help On Buying New Amp

Mick Maverik

Anyone recommend anything. 50 - 100 watts, budget is 300-400. Lookin for somethin that'll do for balls to the wall rock like GN'R, right through to Megadeth, and with a decent clean & reverb.

Checklist for tried already:

Spider II - not bad, but nah

Marshall AVT series - Good, but not what am lookin for

Marshall MG series - (see above)

Laney TF series - decent, but the bass buzz is a problem

Laney mx / hardcore range - :puke:

I'll consider Hybrid or Solidstate, as long as it's good. (Valve ones are outa my price range and require too much maintenance for me to be assed)

Andy

I've got a Vox AD50VT, I'm really happy with that, you can mess around with the reverb settings for however you want it. plus its got a good selection of amps to choose from on it. AC30, fender tweed 4x12, couple marshall's, mesa boogie. Worth a try anyway, they do higher and lower wattage ones as well.

I'll consider Hybrid or Solidstate' date=' as long as it's good. (Valve ones are outa my price range and require too much maintenance for me to be assed)

Andy[/quote']

Not true at all. If you head along to www.gak.co.uk you'll find the Marshall DSL401 which is the combo version of the DSL50 and 100. It's 397. All valve pushing out 40 watts through a 1x12" speaker. Clean, Drive and Drive + <which is just a 20Db volume boost for solos>. It has foot switchable reverb, effects loop...pfft everything! As for maintenance...if you treat it right then you should only need to change valves after a year or two. Occasionally you might need to set the bias but really turnnig a knob is a little price to pay for the better tone.

Dsl 401...

Hmmm

half right Tav...

I bought a dsl-401 some time back, nice tone sure....not so hot on reliability....the dsl 401 runs very very hot....after a couple of hours the control panel can reach 50 odd degrees C+...while under warranty it failed, the tone was accompanied by a high pitched squeal followed by the tone fading a way completely...read the reviews...its a common problem...sent the amp back to Marshall and it took over six weeks to get it back...two months after that the reverb dried up....

..in short good tone...its got an aux amp drive output as well so you could also use it to drive a cab and get a little more bass...but reliability aint what it used to be...

Agree on the DSL401. Great sounding amp' date=' but poor reliability. The valves blew on mine after about 12 hours of home use, one rehersal and a soundcheck :nono:[/quote']

...so u replaced the valves?....took the amp back? whats the story?

funnily enough the good people at marshall returned my amp with new chinese valves...where previously I had new svetlanana's....the chinese sound ok though...

I've got a Vox AD50VT' date=' I'm really happy with that, you can mess around with the reverb settings for however you want it. plus its got a good selection of amps to choose from on it. AC30, fender tweed 4x12, couple marshall's, mesa boogie. Worth a try anyway, they do higher and lower wattage ones as well.[/quote']

Hmm I checked these out, they seem very nice. I'm seriously considering it just now. But dunno whether to go for the 50 or 100 one?

Andy

Guest Bailz
I bought a dsl-401 some time back' date=' nice tone sure....not so hot on reliability....the dsl 401 runs very very hot....after a couple of hours the control panel can reach 50 odd degrees C+...while under warranty it failed[/quote']

That only happened in the old ones. The problem was that the power amp valves got so hot that they'd melt the soldering on the bridge rectifier and, obviously, it fell apart. They've sorted the new ones.

Speaking of the new ones I've had one since easter time, been running the Master Volume at 7/8 with the Channel Volume at 4/5 for home use and Channel Volume at max at rehearsals. No problems as of yet. Amazing sounding amp.

Coupled with my Tubescreamer it gives an awesome skin peeling sound.

Hmm I checked these out' date=' they seem very nice. I'm seriously considering it just now. But dunno whether to go for the 50 or 100 one?

Andy[/quote']

Well, depends if you want to use it for gigging I suppose. The 50W one is more than enough for home use. I've got a soundproofed room and I only use it on about half the wattage in there (you can adjust the wattage of it so its quieter but you can still have the master cranked up). It sounds really good tho, I'm really impressed with it. The only thing I don't like about it is that when you switch between the clean and overdrive channels the overdrive is a lot louder than it should be. And if you use manual settings for the amps then you have to keep it on there and can't change back from overdrive on the footswitch. I just use a zoom effects pedal box with it as well and I can get what I want out of it tho. I think if you get the 100W one there's quite a jump in price - can't remember tho.