aberdeen-music

Radio station now on-air!

Neil

A question' date=' will these member shows get repeated or a one play only at an allocated time?[/quote']

Well, my intention is to have them repeated where possible as obviously if someone misses the broadcast then I want them to be able to catch it again. The big problem I have right now is that I need to work out how to automate the schedule of these shows. That is what I'm working on right now...

HAHAHA' date=' i just saw the link... clicked on it... WHAM! Onion Terror... good stuff.

I'm guessing you're going to be using this host / location / url all the time, as it's the same one that was saved in my i-tunes from the test broadcast.[/quote']

Do you know how to bookmark the url in itunes? I can get it to play, but no idea how to save or view track titles or anything??

it workes fine through firefox too, i tried all my programs, and opening it in realplayer seems to have the best quality AND load time. AND it tells me the name of the artist and song!

it workes fine through firefox too' date=' i tried all my programs, and opening it in realplayer seems to have the best quality AND load time. AND it tells me the name of the artist and song![/quote']

That's quite impressive actually as I thought only WinAmp was capable of picking up the song title and artist (Windows Media Player doesn't - surprise, surprise).

Listening to Hog's show has inspired me.

Could I do an hour show consisting entirely of Manic Street Preachers early b-sides?

You can do what you like - within reason. There are no rules but your show(s) have to be of some quality (i.e. I want people to listen to it!).

You can do what you like - within reason. There are no rules but your show(s) have to be of some quality (i.e. I want people to listen to it!).

8o Manics b-sides are nothing but the utmost quality!!!

But my tongue was firmly in my cheek. Actually, I'm a pretty good DJ when in control of folk's iPods in the car. Or so I'm (reluctantly) told anyway.

Are there any stipulations about the songs themselves, e.g. swearing, lyrical content, copyright-type issues?

Are there any stipulations about the songs themselves' date=' e.g. swearing, lyrical content, copyright-type issues?[/quote']

Nope. As long as the songs are listenable and of decent audio quality then I'm happy.

8o Manics b-sides are nothing but the utmost quality!!!

But my tongue was firmly in my cheek. Actually' date=' I'm a pretty good DJ when in control of folk's iPods in the car. Or so I'm (reluctantly) told anyway.

Are there any stipulations about the songs themselves, e.g. swearing, lyrical content, copyright-type issues?[/quote']

You're not a supporter, remember.

You're not a supporter' date=' remember.[/quote']

Damn good point. Yeah, as the FAQs say, you have to become a supporter or sponsor before you can do your own show. It all helps to cover the additional costs for running the streaming radio server.

Yes indeedy' date=' this is going to be great. This is for all of you who have ever moaned about DJs in clubs and the radio not playing the music YOU want to hear. Your time is now. :)

For all of you who want to host a show on the station, please PM me and give me some details about what you plan to broadcast, and when you would like to go on air if you're doing it live. I'll get back to you as soon as humanly possible and let you know what your next step is going to be. If anyone would like me to sit in on their show when they do it for the first time I'll be quite happy to help out.

We want to broadcast a wide variety of interesting and exciting material on the station. [b']All we ask is that your broadcasts don't break any laws and are presented in a way that is going to be as enjoyable as possible to those listening. There is no set music policy, feel free to have fun and make your voice heard. Just remember you're representing Aberdeen Music to the world. :)

I was just wondering about this. Any show that plays music by "signed" artists as it were, for example the music played on Dave's and Hog's shows is surely copyright, and the artist should be due money every time you play their songs. Could someone please clear up the question of copyright for my and other's benefit? Thanks...

I was just wondering about this. Any show that plays music by "signed" artists as it were' date=' for example the music played on Dave's and Hog's shows is surely copyright, and the artist should be due money every time you play their songs. Could someone please clear up the question of copyright for my and other's benefit? Thanks...[/quote']

Okay, I was trying to avoid this question. :)

Here is the deal. Technically speaking I should apply for a licence from the MCPS-PRS if I'm broadcasting commercial music on the web site. And before re-launching the radio station I did contact them about this. However, I'm not applying for a licence at this time for a number of reasons. These are as follows:

1. The most applicable licence I would have to apply for to permit me to stream commercial music on the web site is prohibitively expensive. It's 2,231.69 (ex. VAT) a year - that is more than it costs to host the web site!

2. It is not an excuse I know but very few Shoutcast based radio stations bother to apply for licences (and there are thousands of them with hundreds of listeners - just have a look on shoutcast.com). Personally speaking I don't think I'm ripping any artists off as I'm not allowing their music to be downloaded from the web site, commercial music is only played when we do live or pre-recorded shows and there is a limit of 20 people that can listen to the show at one time. I look at it like this - if I invite 20 people round to my flat and start playing my CDs should I first get a licence? Because to me - it is the same thing with aberdeen-music.com radio.

3. This is the real reason I'm holding off getting a licence though. The BPI and MCPS are taking each other to court over the online licensing fees. Yes, actually taking each other to court. It sounds mad but it's true:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/01/bpi_sues_mcps/

So I don't want to get a licence now only to see the licence fees slashed if the MCPS loose their court case. Which personally I think they will because quite frankly they are taking the piss with the licence fees. I would be interested to know how much of that 2,231.69 (ex. VAT) a year actually goes into the artist's pocket...

In summary - you record and broadcast these radio shows at your own (and my own) risk. If the MCPS ask be stop broadcasting commercial music then I will comply.

And what is the deal with Podcasts as well? Essentially they are mostly pre-recorded radio shows that people can download. Some of them contain commercial music and I don't hear anyone crying foul about that.

Anyway, talking of Podcasts, for those of you like Narc that are trying to record a show for the radio station then recording a Podcast is pretty much the same as recording a radio show. So have a look around the many "How to record a Podcast" guides out there for more information on how to record a show. I found this one quite useful:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10163_7-6246557-1.html?tag=bnav