aberdeen-music

Bands that have made mistakes on recordings

Hog

Guest pop-notmyface
Originally posted by Aileen:

Isnt there a mistake at the start of "Good Ridance" by Green Day, just when he's playing the first few notes, doesnt he say "fuck" or is that not cos he screwed up? Cos it sounds alright to me, but maybe thats not how it was meant to sound....who knows......

yeah, the little riff at the starts he plays twice, but he only meant to play it once.....rumours are that he was stoned while recording....

• 14 years later...

At the end of 'Gotta get a message to you' by the Bee Gees when the key changes, Barry goes to do the harmony in the new key, completely fucks it, stops and then goes "woah!" or "ohh!" and it's all just there, on the tape.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2004 at 5:59 PM, Tav said:

Some people would say the whole of St Anger...I thought I would get that joke in first.

14 years too late

Didn't realise it was a super old thread til after I posted. Then realised that joke would have definitely already been made.

Still stands though. They shouldn't have done it.

There's a video of the whole album rerecorded on YouTube, as if the only thing holding it back is the production. It's not. It's still shit. 

The one I heard is a total re-recording, with the purpose of sounding better, rather than like the old stuff. The guy does it all, vocals and everything, because he's some sort of masochistic lunatic.

It does sound better. Not just the infamous drums, but the guitars are less muddy. But the songs are still pretty awful. It's somehow 15 minutes shorter though, so that's a bonus.

3 hours ago, Woodsinho said:

I played something the wrong number of times both here (outro):

https://birdlawpunx.bandcamp.com/track/crime-aid

and here (at about 4 minutes):

https://fuckdross.bandcamp.com/track/geller

I can't fucking count, I guess.

You're excused for the Dross gaff. It turned out to be the program we used to record (or my terrible laptop) glitching. It somehow manages to stay perfectly in time , but you can hear a little click where the glitch happens, deleting 4 bars, as it shifts back in to the riff. There was another glitch which shifted Teabags' vocals forward (or backwards, I can't remember which) and again it ended up being perfectly in time, just 4 bars ahead/behind.

Man, there's some horrible sounds being made in the 2nd part of that song. It's excellent.

1 hour ago, Soda Jerk said:

You're excused for the Dross gaff. It turned out to be the program we used to record (or my terrible laptop) glitching. It somehow manages to stay perfectly in time , but you can hear a little click where the glitch happens, deleting 4 bars, as it shifts back in to the riff. There was another glitch which shifted Teabags' vocals forward (or backwards, I can't remember which) and again it ended up being perfectly in time, just 4 bars ahead/behind.

Man, there's some horrible sounds being made in the 2nd part of that song. It's excellent.

Incredible.

18 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

A related story that is interesting (to me at least) is of Brad Fiedel was composing the Terminator theme... He wrote the melody by improvising over a percussion loop he'd recorded, but hadn't realised that he had stopped the end of the sequence a bit early. As a result, the bars are an awkward 13/16 time signature. But it's one of the best themes ever, so happy accidents and all that.  

19 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

There was another glitch which shifted Teabags' vocals forward (or backwards, I can't remember which) and again it ended up being perfectly in time, just 4 bars ahead/behind.

I was listening to it thinking "what fucking weird pattern was I going for? Jesus christ."

1 hour ago, Dan G said:

A related story that is interesting (to me at least) is of Brad Fiedel was composing the Terminator theme... He wrote the melody by improvising over a percussion loop he'd recorded, but hadn't realised that he had stopped the end of the sequence a bit early. As a result, the bars are an awkward 13/16 time signature. But it's one of the best themes ever, so happy accidents and all that.  

They "fixed" this in T2 and ruined it.