aberdeen-music

anyone goin to gleneagles tomorrow?

kirkt

we're still coming out of the last ice age. of course we're warming up. the ice age continues till the polar caps melt and then the new one begins.

Very true, read that in New Scientist I believe....

And even if we are making it go faster, doesn't matter - it's like an elastic band, doesn't matter how fast it heats up, its going to bounce back no matter....

I'd try to stay as far away from the place as possible. I was watching Sky news today and the report from Auchter-whatever was fairly disturbing (i.e. locals having to stay inside their boarded houses for a few days). So what if they've got a massive fence, like 1 bobby every 10 feet is going to be able to stop a raging crowd of hundreds. Bad scene i say.

Geldof's marching campaign is also pretty fruitless if you ask me, the number of times i've heard / used the CND campaigns in the 80's as mass protests that changed next to nothing is pretty shocking.

I'd try to stay as far away from the place as possible. I was watching Sky news today .

anything you say after that is null and void really. it's like saying "i was reading in the sun about immigration..."

as for climate change, if you think it's perfectly natural for the earths protective atmospheric layers to be vanishing and for people to wear breath masks while walking the streets then you're mental. yes there's a natural cycle at work here but we're fucking the entire planet up ahead of schedule, and how natural can it be when all the fucking trees are gone? the planet is actually running out of oxygen. we're frying ourselves with ozone and filling the land and sea up with shit that won't dissolve. none of that is natural. all the while using up the finite sources of fuel that this planet has produced over billions of years in a mere couple of hundred. but hey, it'll all be okay cause david bellamy said the ice caps are actually getting bigger and he wasn't paid to say it, oh no, course not, even though it goes against actual scientific fact and all evidence that's been gathered from properly researched sources rather than the fraudulent website he sourced his facts from. people will believe anything if a scientist puts their name to it and if it makes their lives that little easier by doing so.

So what if they've got a massive fence' date=' like 1 bobby every 10 feet is going to be able to stop a raging crowd of hundreds. Bad scene i say.

.[/quote']

it will for a while. ill try post a photo up. its those big fences you get on like building sutes. but they have two rows parralle to them and heaps of ones going diagonly between the two rows so that you cant push them over and it would take a while to climb one then the other. by the time you did the other police people would be there.

anything you say after that is null and void really. it's like saying "i was reading in the sun about immigration..."

as for climate change' date=' if you think it's perfectly natural for the earths protective atmospheric layers to be vanishing and for people to wear breath masks while walking the streets then you're mental. yes there's a natural cycle at work here but we're fucking the entire planet up ahead of schedule, and how natural can it be when all the fucking trees are gone? the planet is actually running out of oxygen. we're frying ourselves with ozone and filling the land and sea up with shit that won't dissolve. none of that is natural. all the while using up the finite sources of fuel that this planet has produced over billions of years in a mere couple of hundred. but hey, it'll all be okay cause david bellamy said the ice caps are actually getting bigger and he wasn't paid to say it, oh no, course not, even though it goes against actual scientific fact and all evidence that's been gathered from properly researched sources rather than the fraudulent website he sourced his facts from. people will believe anything if a scientist puts their name to it and if it makes their lives that little easier by doing so.[/quote']

Well I don't care what David Bellamy says, or even care who he is - he's wrong. However, if you watch Horizon/Discovery or read something once in a while, you'd learn that the over-active Greenpeace/etc and stupid ignorant media have got this one blown up all out of proportion.

Looking back over figures from Earth's climate history (Artic Ice cores, etc) show that after Ice Ages such as the one that we are coming out of, end with a rapid warming of the planet such as what we are seeing, as high as a few degrees per decade.

The fact that man has come along and started carbon burning is mere coincidence, and simply a tiny chink in the planet, one that it can easily shugg off. Nature has ways of dealing with everything, if there is too much carbon in the air, it will simply be drawn out as acid rain, and locked up in there rocks.

You do also know that one large volcanic eruption puts so much carbon into the atmosphere, it makes us look like amateurs. Now I believe there have been quite a few of these in Earth's history, including Super Volcanoes which are potential planet killing events, and lo and behold, we are still here to worry about global warming.

If I were you, I'd be alot more worried about the chance of that Asteroid that has a 1 in 50,000 chance of hitting us in around 2040.

Well I don't care what David Bellamy says' date=' or even care who he is - he's wrong. However, if you watch Horizon/Discovery or read something once in a while, you'd learn that the over-active Greenpeace/etc and stupid ignorant media have got this one blown up all out of proportion.

Looking back over figures from Earth's climate history (Artic Ice cores, etc) show that after Ice Ages such as the one that we are coming out of, end with a rapid warming of the planet such as what we are seeing, as high as a few degrees per decade.

The fact that man has come along and started carbon burning is mere coincidence, and simply a tiny chink in the planet, one that it can easily shugg off. Nature has ways of dealing with everything, if there is too much carbon in the air, it will simply be drawn out as acid rain, and locked up in there rocks.

You do also know that one large volcanic eruption puts so much carbon into the atmosphere, it makes us look like amateurs. Now I believe there have been quite a few of these in Earth's history, including Super Volcanoes which are potential planet killing events, and lo and behold, we are still here to worry about global warming.

If I were you, I'd be alot more worried about the chance of that Asteroid that has a 1 in 50,000 chance of hitting us in around 2040.[/quote']

what's the point in worrying about an asteroid hitting us? it's out of our control.

volcanic eruptions are part of a cycle which involves trees, water and soil. the earth is designed to absorb these natural events so long as it has the tools it needs. we're destroying those tools. according to a report by the canadian international development agency ( http://www.rcfa-cfan.org/english/issues.12.html ) the earth is losing upto 16 million hectares of tropical forest each year. the impact this has on biodiversity is devastating and it definitely has an effect on the amount of carbon the earth can cope with. yes we are in a natural state of warming, no ones denying that but there's a lot of unnatural factors which are increasing this. not to mention the amount of animals and plants which are vanishing forever because of the changing climate and habitat throughout the world.

not to mention the amount of animals and plants which are vanishing forever because of the changing climate and habitat throughout the world.

animals and plants have been vanishing since long before man walked the earth, because of changing climate and habitat. it's part of evolution. if anything, we're delaying this process because of thousands of dedicated sanctuaries and charities who help endangered species.

who knows what we'd get in it's place? you can't prevent evolution from happening, nor can you blame something that's been happening since the beginning of the earth on mankind who haven't been around as long. the sabre tooth tiger and the wooly mammoth became extinct before we had cars and hairspray.

animals and plants have been vanishing since long before man walked the earth' date=' because of changing climate and habitat. it's part of evolution. if anything, we're delaying this process because of thousands of dedicated sanctuaries and charities who help endangered species.[/quote']

delaying the process? that's insane! destroying 16 million hectares of important tropical forest a year is not evolution! evolution has nothing to do with it! evolution occurs over millions of years not a couple of hundred, this is murder and vandalism. this is short sighted greed. this is utterly stupid and has been for years. to deny it's importance and it's existence is naive and blinkered.

yes animals and plants vanish as an example of evolution but we are killing species which should flourish due to evolution and upsetting the biodiversity which allows evolution to function correctly. it has nothing to do with nature but everything to do with man's desire to fuel it's machines and money making. i'm not saying we should all live in tree huts but at least acknowledge what's happening and think of ways to address it and make our air cleaner and our forests greener.

I wouldn't say it was that bad. The broadcast media' date=' especially the television, has to be relatively impartial to whatever it's covering unlike other sources such as newspapers - especially tabloids..[/quote']

i wasn't being entirely serious though sky news is incredibly sensationalist and is the equivalent of FOX news in america. it's probably best to remember that any news report from anywhere is from a particular point of view and there's always another side to it.

Hog, I do Geoscience as a degree dude - I know what I'm talking about. And i'm not actually just saying that, I read New Scientist and Geology (occasionally) and often grab Focus too. I watch the discovery channels, now you might say "whoop dee doo" - but this does acutally mean I know what I'm talking about.

It has been blown out of proportion by the media frenzy of scare and fear. Yes we are causing problems - but not even a scratch on what one large volcano would do. We have evoled to learn the use of fossil fuels, this is a natrual progression - and eventually we will have evolved a better energy generating option and all you global warming scare mongers can go to bed !!

Mel, we seen to be on quite a similar wavelengh...

Hog' date=' I do Geoscience as a degree dude - I know what I'm talking about. And i'm not actually just saying that, I read New Scientist and Geology (occasionally) and often grab Focus too. I watch the discovery channels, now you might say "whoop dee doo" - but this does acutally mean I know what I'm talking about.

It has been blown out of proportion by the media frenzy of scare and fear. Yes we are causing problems - but not even a scratch on what one large volcano would do. We have evoled to learn the use of fossil fuels, this is a natrual progression - and eventually we will have evolved a better energy generating option and all you global warming scare mongers can go to bed !!

Mel, we seen to be on quite a similar wavelengh...[/quote']

just cause you're doing it as a degree doesn't mean you can dismiss other arguments out of hand. everyone can learn something, i'm certainly no expert on geoscience but it interests me.

it's not scaremongering to say that human beings are causing irrepairable damage to the biodiversity and climate of the earth, it's fact. yes the volcanoes cause more damage and no ones denying that but humans are destroying trees which help the earth repair that damage. sooner or later it's gonna come back to haunt us.

Half the people who've taken the stage at this Edinburgh Live 8 seem to think they're Martin Luther King. What on Earth was Bono trying to communicate?

I've signed the petition, I even bought the Band Aid single, but I still think they should stop Bono from talking.

"In U2 we have a rule...you can't play golf....so I went to the most famous golf course today....but I didn't play golf...and I said to those leaders, you can play golf.....but don't play poker....NO POKER".