aberdeen-music

12 yr old Brendon Neill

Guest jack bm

well then' date=' you shouldn't write songs entitled "dad I wish upon you all the pestilence in the world" should you?[/quote']

song titles and lyrics are a split responcibility in the land of 'The Videos'. We don't have any songs about dads or mums...

we've got songs about microwaving hands... :love:

Guest jack bm
Hey guys I'm Brendon Neill's dad and manager' date=' He is a solo rock artist from Perth area. He will be off school shortly for the summer and I would like to arrange gigs for him further a field than Perth. He writes all his own songs, plays all the instruments on his recordings and has just signed to a small record label in Edinburgh. Here is links to two of his songs and his website if you would like to look and listen. I hope I've put this thread on the right forum cos' I'm new here. If you can help let me know.

Thanks

Jack

"I won't give in"

http://www.brendon-neill.ukbands.net/uploads/music/I_wont_give_in.mp3

"Drowning"

http://www.brendon-neill.ukbands.net/uploads/music/drowning1.mp3

www.brendon-neill.ukbands.net

Hi all, I can't understand why this thread ended up as it is. If you look at the original post I put on here I did not at any time ask what you thought of Brendon's music. I was asking for help to get him gigs other than in Perth and as this is the Aberdeen site I would think it was obvious that I was looking for gigs in Aberdeen. I said his age because if anyone were to offer the chance of a gig they would need to know his age. I have been given some good advice and some not so good advice, thanks for the good advice. Although I'm Brendons Dad I am also his manager, I can imagine that alot of people think that because he is my son all I can see is stars in my eyes. No I am not green when it comes to management I have managed my own business for many years (small may it be) and Brendon is not the first I have managed on the music scene. Before anyone asks it was a band called "UK Vancouver" 20 odd years ago. I've also read books and taken lots of advice from many people in the management side of the music business. I'm not a dreamer I live in the real world and I now if it happens for Brendon it won't happen overnight . Because in my case it's what I know not who I know. I also think that people think I have thought "oh look how good Brendon is let's get him gigging" well Brendon has been gigging now for nearly a year and has built up a pretty big fan base and is well known as part of the music scene in Perth. He has played along side "Mexico", "Phantom Riffige" "Tenesee Kate" "So called Heroes" and others. Has been in many newspappers including the Sunday post and has been played on Tay FM and Perth FM. He has been played on many internet radio stations. All I am doing is letting you see that I am not some stupid Dad who knows nothing.

But I thank you all bad or good for making this thread what it was.

Jack

Hmm

Thank you Youthgonewild. Daniel' date=' yes and no Brendon has played quite a few gigs around here. I don't know if the licensing laws are the same all over Scotland but technicallly is't as follows. He should not play in a room where there is a bar and should not have to walk through the bar to get to the toilet. If it's a private funtion that does not count. For instance last thursday he played in the Plough Inn, there was a bar but it's a music club. We have also been told he is allowed into premises because he is an entertainer. It all boils down to where he is playing and when. He can also play in the afternoons when there is meals available

Cheers

Jack

Btw what did you think of the music?[/quote']

Hi Jack,

I think the invitation to critique might have started here. As well as the fact that you did post in the Feedback Forum.

Surely it's inevitable anyway that if you put links up to Brendon's music, that it's for the purpose of people drawing their conclusions from it. Surely it's also inevitable that somebody somewhere (usually in Aberdeen) is not going to like it.

Curiosity always gets the better of me...what's the Edinburgh label that your son's with?

I always enjoy the glee with which this particular scene seems to exude when they're ripping the shit out of anyone who dares to show some enthusiasm for music and their part in it.

What makes any of you think you can usefully comment on some lad's song? You're not exactly prominent or succesful songwriters yourselves, are you? The old saying says it all. Those who can't.....become critics.

Long live the musically autistic. Down with talent.

i dont think thats the point - many people have given good feedback. I consider myself one of them.

I said, he is a really talented musician, and guitarist - however his voice was weak on the recorded songs, and the songwriting and lyrics were "immature" and a bit too angsty and cliched to really take seriously.

I say it again, he has potential - but I think he just has to let experience and creativity come over the years. Im not going to say outright that because he is 12 its a bit of a gimmick, but would you still say the music was so good if he was 20 something or 30 something doing the same? I don't think so, so at the moment he will remain a hot prospect for the future, but its maybe a bit early for him yet...

It's a bit sad someone's Dad being their manager too. Let him have a life and be in a real band or you'll scar him for life.

not really, i mean look at kelly osbourne...........maby brendon wants this and by the post he made on his website it certainly looks that way

I always enjoy the glee with which this particular scene seems to exude when they're ripping the shit out of anyone who dares to show some enthusiasm for music and their part in it.

What makes any of you think you can usefully comment on some lad's song? You're not exactly prominent or succesful songwriters yourselves' date=' are you? The old saying says it all. Those who can't.....become critics.

Long live the musically autistic. Down with talent.[/quote']

So much is wrong with this post! You are stupid enough to suggest that only those who plays instruments are capable of having an opinion about music. I'll use the example that i used before that if this was case then there wouldn't be many music fans because to like (or dislike) something you need to have an opinion on it. If you had your way the only music fans there'd be would be musicians themselves. And for us mere mortals we don't look to the technical abilities when deciding if we like a certain piece of music. It is much more of an instinctive/intellectual/emotional/whatever, reaction to music. Listening to music purely to appreciate the skill it takes to play is so stupid.

I ain't having a go at the kid here btw! But i don't like his music to listen to. It seems he has considerable technical ability and versatility but this doesn't change the way i feel about the music he has made. All i can say is that he has the technical ability at his disposal which may well help him create great music.

So much is wrong with this post! You are stupid enough to suggest that only those who plays instruments are capable of having an opinion about music. I'll use the example that i used before that if this was case then there wouldn't be many music fans because to like (or dislike) something you need to have an opinion on it. If you had your way the only music fans there'd be would be musicians themselves. And for us mere mortals we don't look to the technical abilities when deciding if we like a certain piece of music. It is much more of an instinctive/intellectual/emotional/whatever' date=' reaction to music. Listening to music purely to appreciate the skill it takes to play is so stupid.

I ain't having a go at the kid here btw! But i don't like his music to listen to. It seems he has considerable technical ability and versatility but this doesn't change the way i feel about the music he has made. All i can say is that he has the technical ability at his disposal which may well help him create great music.[/quote']

You are of course, entitled to your own opinion. And I'm not saying you in particular were a dick. However, many of the "contributors" on here are just that...musically retarded dicks. And there seems to be a ass licking culture that supports such dicks and disdaining that which does not support what is regarded as "cool" and "valid".

And to attack the father of a very young man, who, as was quite rightly stated by the more enlightened members, has many years in which to mature and hone his craft, is just ...well a jealous, untalented cunts' trick.

i don't really see much evidence of "attacking" the father though....

The only comment I saw that was out of place was when Jimmy said "your son's shit", that was wrong - but all the others were fair critisim I'd say.... the other post went to crap because of Jimmy's comment but you can't say that we are attacking him just because we think his 12 year old son isn't quite Jon Bon Jovi yet...

Guest jack bm
i don't really see much evidence of "attacking" the father though....

The only comment I saw that was out of place was when Jimmy said "your son's shit"' date=' that was wrong - but all the others were fair critisim I'd say.... the other post went to crap because of Jimmy's comment but you can't say that we are attacking him just because we think his 12 year old son isn't quite Jon Bon Jovi yet...[/quote']

I have never felt I was being attacked but I did feel Brendon was in some instances being attacked. I agree with you Doc the majority was fair including yourself (please read my previous post regarding this) in that post I also appoligised for not reading Jimmy's post properly and ask for his appoligy for calling my son shit, hopeing we can put that behind us.

Okay the other thing I would like to say is, I have in no way forced or coherst Brendon to play music it is entirely his own choice. Because I knew he was serious about it I have helped and encouraged him as much as I could. As far as me being his manager why the hell should I pay someone to do what I can do myself. I wouldn't pay a painter to paint my front door when I can do it my self. It's not sad or a bad example it's sensible and practical and I have done a good job up to now. If Brendon ever told me he does not want to continue with music I would be very dissapointed but that would be his choice. If he said I want to play golf or take up something else, would I run out and buy him the things he would need? NO! not unless I discovered that he was exeptionaly good at it. When I was his age I couldn't even get a football and I was good.

I am not well off so all the equipment I have bought for Brendon has mostly been second handand it has been paid up over a few weeks before we could take it home. Sometimes I had to do the same to pay for the recording. I have spent money on him which sometimes I could not afford, he's not spoilt I just happen to believe in him.

I just wanted to put things staight.

I may be throwing fuel on the smoldering fire but you can always listen to these tracks but please by all means, be honest, but be nice.

Jack

"I'll be there for you" acoustic

"Forgotten dreams" Instrumental

This was his two latest tracks

I must be mad

I have never felt I was being attacked but I did feel Brendon was in some instances being attacked. I agree with you Doc the majority was fair including yourself (please read my previous post regarding this) in that post I also appoligised for not reading Jimmy's post properly and ask for his appoligy for calling my son shit' date=' hopeing we can put that behind us.

Okay the other thing I would like to say is, I have in no way forced or coherst Brendon to play music it is entirely his own choice. Because I knew he was serious about it I have helped and encouraged him as much as I could. As far as me being his manager why the hell should I pay someone to do what I can do myself. I wouldn't pay a painter to paint my front door when I can do it my self. It's not sad or a bad example it's sensible and practical and I have done a good job up to now. If Brendon ever told me he does not want to continue with music I would be very dissapointed but that would be his choice. If he said I want to play golf or take up something else, would I run out and buy him the things he would need? NO! not unless I discovered that he was exeptionaly good at it. When I was his age I couldn't even get a football and I was good.

I am not well off so all the equipment I have bought for Brendon has mostly been second handand it has been paid up over a few weeks before we could take it home. Sometimes I had to do the same to pay for the recording. I have spent money on him which sometimes I could not afford, he's not spoilt I just happen to believe in him.

I just wanted to put things staight.

I may be throwing fuel on the smoldering fire but you can always listen to these tracks but please by all means, be honest, but be nice.

Jack

"I'll be there for you" acoustic

"Forgotten dreams" Instrumental

This was his two latest tracks

I must be mad

I did rephrase it to something along the lines of "your sons music is shit" which i smy opinion so i'm not gonna apologise for that.