aberdeen-music

Countdown Star Dies

ali-ska

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1187001,00.html

TV presenter Richard Whiteley has died in hospital from a heart operation.

The star of Countdown, aged 61, underwent the surgery to combat an infection that attacked a valve in his heart.

He was taken into hospital in Leeds last month suffering from pneumonia.

Whiteley had been the host of Countdown since it began more than 20 years ago.

He was the first face on Channel 4 when the station launched in 1982.

When he was taken ill last month, he missed the first show in more than two decades.

Thats crazyness. Definately the end of an era. RIP that man.

Damn

I grew up watching countdown.

I cant believe it.

If there is a heaven he is sitting at his desk wearing the worst tie ever with god sitting in dictionary corner.

the most fitting tribute we'll ever hear.

rip John Richard Whiteley OBE. :(

always curious though - odds on him ever having boffed Carol Vorderman?

it is sad. what is freaky is that a few days ago channel four were doing one of theor inbetween progs things where they ask the stars questions

this one was how do you want to be remembered? and mr whitely said he wanted to be remeber as being the first person on C4.

spooky..

RIP Richard' date=' you were a cut above the rabble.

If there is a God, then Channel 4 will not now hand the show over to Carol Whorederman.[/quote']

honest opinion here, i'm heartbroken, but i have to say if countdown is to continue the only person i could see taking control is carol. they physically cannot replace the man, i mean come on think about it can they actually take someone new in to do that job.

they either stop it, which they wont do cause of the ratings, extend the guest presenter slots forever, or give it to carol to do...

honest opinion here' date=' i'm heartbroken, but i have to say if countdown is to continue the only person i could see taking control is carol. they physically cannot replace the man, i mean come on think about it can they actually take someone new in to do that job.

they either stop it, which they wont do cause of the ratings, extend the guest presenter slots forever, or give it to carol to do...[/quote']

I agree he will be very difficult to replace, but if they do give someone else the job, who would you like to see taking over?

If it was up to me I`d probably go for someone equally cool in a kind of uncool way like Terry Wogan.

Who`d get your vote?