aberdeen-music

Guitar grade 3/4.

there's the rock school grade book stuff. its a bit shit but at least you know its at the right standard.

Dont bet on it.....if the rock school guitar material is anything like the drum material, there's no way it is on the same standard.

Rock school grade's on drums are definitely not as demanding as the corresponding traditional grades for Guildhall, Trinity etc.

but rock school is done by trinity who are hardly going to put on a book its grade 3 when its really grade 2 level or whatever. its worked for me anyway, and i've used it for standard grade, higher, advanced higher and an hnc in music performance at college and passed them all.

Guest Cowboy Dan

I hate the Rock School books, all the grade 8 guitar tunes are just simple songs BUT WAIT WE'RE GOING TO THROW IN A SECTION WITH 16 SCALES JUST SO IT'S THE RIGHT LEVEL.

But yeah, they are of suitable standard for using in school.

I think I'd maybe misjudged the standard of these grades.

I went out and bought the Rock School Grade 3 book yesterday, and chose a bluesy piece I like out of it, which is like, ridiculously easy. From that, I'd imagine myself to be at least a 4, possibly a 5, but back to the topic of the thread, does anyone know any pieces that wouldn't be included in the Rock School book, around these levels?

From my experience you could be able to pass the Grade 8 drums' date=' and still be utter shite; playing a Grade x piece doesn't mean you are a Grade x musician. Just get some good lessons from a reputable teacher.[/quote']

You simply will not pass grade 8 drums unless you're an accomplished player with a very good grasp of technique. End of story.

Beyond the grade exams, there is a lot more to being a musician (obviously)....but can you pass and yet be utter shite? Erm, no.

You simply will not pass grade 8 drums unless you're an accomplished player with a very good grasp of technique. End of story.

Beyond the grade exams' date=' there is a lot more to being a musician (obviously)....but can you pass and yet be utter shite? Erm, no.[/quote']

Admittedly you're correct. My point WAS ebellished but what I was getting at was the fact that simply playing throught the rockschool books isn't a very thorough course.

I started them and didn't really progress, whereas after moving to private tutoring my playing has flourished. I didn't feel any gain from them, perhaps this is me, but I genuinely found them to be a waste of time. My previsou teacher was also shit, so thi smay have had some bearing.

Guest pop-notmyface
Could anyone recommend any grade 3/4 standard songs for guitar? I'd prefer if it was quite rock/metal orientated' date=' since this is what I'm used to playing, but I'm really open to any style. Maybe people who have done the performance unit in Higher Music can help with this?[/quote']

haha, play what i played.... No Surprises by Radiohead! i don't know, i dont even like them all that much...

I hate the Rock School books' date=' all the grade 8 guitar tunes are just simple songs BUT WAIT WE'RE GOING TO THROW IN A SECTION WITH 16 SCALES JUST SO IT'S THE RIGHT LEVEL.

But yeah, they are of suitable standard for using in school.[/quote']

What a load of bullshit mate. The Grade 8 Rockschool pieces are designed to fulfill all of the requirements of the syllabus for 3 instruments (guitar, bass and drumkit) and so they can't be completely full-on all the time for all instruments, but there is no way that they are easy. They are set at Grade 8 because you should be at the perfect level to work towards the songs upon completion of the Grade 6 exam. Obviously, as somebody else mentioned, you could enter the Grade 8 exam thinking it was easy and play all of the songs badly but that won't get you anywhere. I challenge you to play ANY of the grade 8 songs perfectly and make them look simple.