aberdeen-music

Smashing Pumpkins to reform??

how could james Iha "cause the pumpkins to split ?"

did you read the "billy advert" ? "my band this' date=' my band that"

if Iha left, billy corgan probbably wouldn't have noticed.

he's a pretentious tosser, who writes fantastic music...

remember, once they re-form, you'll have to worry about him breaking his vow on never playing the UK again "because of the UK music presses out and out unfair hatred towards billy"...big puff that he is.[/quote']

I saw several interviews with Corgan and Iha after the band split.

Of course he's a tosser.

Most of you musician types are.

:D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One such interview:

http://www.nme.com/news/107562.htm

BILLY CORGAN has revealed what he says is the real reason behind the break-up of SMASHING PUMPKINS .

It was initially thought that the 2000 break-up was Corgan's decision. In interviews, the frontman claimed he had kept the secret for months, that the band had reached the end of the road "emotionally, spiritually, musically", and that he was tired of "fighting Britney"

However, a message left yesterday on billycorgan.com claims otherwise. Corgan explained that "many times he hid things to protect his band mates".

"The truth of the matter is James Iha broke up the Smashing Pumpkins's, not me," he wrote.

"Jimmy didn't want to break up the band, and I would have gone on forever, the Smashing Pumpkins were essentially my entire life," he explained.

"Many friends at the time suggested letting James leave, so Jimmy and I could continue under the name, but I was too loyal to the man I had started the whole thing with, and I protected him until the very end," he said.

As previously reported on NME.COM, Corgan is to release a solo album later in the year, which he describes as "loud and beautiful and poetic and dumb".

that'll be Jame Iha nae coming back then...

your avatar is mesmerising....who's the drummer ? (looks like chad' date=' way back in blood sugar!).[/quote']

Nah, Iha will be back. His solo stuff was pish, and he's not in Perfect Circle anymore is he?

The cowbell player is 'will ferrell'. It's a Saturday Night Live sketch, about Blue Oyster Cult.

Guest pop-notmyface
Um' date=' so why is he doing a second solo album too?

It's in the article.... link on the previous page.[/quote']

i don't know, there must be some sort of motivation to revisit their glory days and be a big rock band again i guess...

Didn't see that coming!

The solo album is out, came out on Monday. I like it.

When did Billy Corgan vow to never play in the UK again? Zwan played here, and he played the London Forum last Thursday!

I'm not sure there's really any need for the Smashing Pumpkins to reform. It would be great to be able to see / hear Pumpkins songs being performed live again, but it seems like a step backwards. Plus, surely the same problems that split the band in the first place would still be there?

Guest Mr Blastcap

i really hope they dont reform, i cant stand that band, his solo stuff is god awfull- even that press release/attention grabbing advert annoys me far too much. maybe thats a bit harsh, some folk really seem to like his music but i cant get over the fact that hes a twat and the best cd they ever put out was gish and theres no need to listen to that if you rotate nirvana and soundgarden.

allthough i reckon he should move to aberdeen, and join stayover.

i really hope they dont reform' date=' i cant stand that band, his solo stuff is god awfull- even that press release/attention grabbing advert annoys me far too much. maybe thats a bit harsh, some folk really seem to like his music but i cant get over the fact that hes a twat and the best cd they ever put out was gish and theres no need to listen to that if you rotate nirvana and soundgarden.

allthough i reckon he should move to aberdeen, and join stayover.[/quote']

It's lucky that there is no scene points, as that comment would have earned a minus for you lad!

I'd wet my pants if the pumpkins reformed, but I can't see B0lly and James getting along... A more probable scenario is B0lly playing some Smashing Pumpkins songs solo, which would be cool.

D'Arcy is a fucking crackhead who was shite at the bass anyway, James is happy in A Perfect Circle and Jimmy would just do whatever B0lly told him to do.

I'd wet my pants if the pumpkins reformed' date=' but I can't see B0lly and James getting along... A more probable scenario is B0lly playing some Smashing Pumpkins songs solo, which would be cool.

D'Arcy is a fucking crackhead who was shite at the bass anyway, James is happy in A Perfect Circle and Jimmy would just do whatever B0lly told him to do.[/quote']

"B0lly"? Either stop being an internet geek or get a new keyboard.

Well big Jim is definitely in!

"SMASHING PUMPKINS are one step closer to reforming after drummer JIMMY CHAMBERLAIN said hes up for reforming.

As previously reported on NME.COM, former Pumpkins singer Billy Corgan, who recently released his debut solo album TheFutureEmbrace, took out a full page advert in the Chicago Tribune newspaper last week where he said his heart remains with his old band.

He added: I want you to be among the first to know that I have made plans to renew and revive the Smashing Pumpkins. I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams. In this desire I feel I have come home again.

The band split in 2000 after the release of their final album Machina.

Chamberlain has now revealed that he too wants to get the group back together.

Speaking to the Tribune on Friday (June 24), the drummer said: All I can say is that the Smashing Pumpkins are Billy, James (Iha - guitarist), myself and D'Arcy (Wretzky - bassist). In an ideal world, that's what it will end up being. The hope is that everybody will come to the table, but I can only speak for myself in saying that Im in, and I'm excited."

Since the Pumpkins split, Corgan and Chamberlain have collaborated as members of the short-lived Zwan.

Chamberlain told the Tribune that he has not spoken to Wretzky since she left the band in 1999 though he does e-mail Iha and although they have never discussed a reunion he said: I intend to reach out to him.

He also said that he is unaware of whether Corgan has talked about reforming with the remaining members of the band, but does think the advertisement in the paper opened the door for a return.

According to MTV News, Chamberlain said: It's still all very new, and I don't know if anybody really knows what's going on. We really haven't sat down at the table and figured out the nuts and bolts.""

From nme.com