aberdeen-music

Smashing Pumpkins to reform??

The following is from nme.com today:

"BILLY CORGAN has said he wants to reform SMASHING PUMPKINS.

The singer, who has completed work on his debut solo album TheFutureEmbrace has taken out a full page advert in the Chicago Tribune newspaper where he said his heart remains with his old band.

He wrote: When I played the final Smashing Pumpkins show on the night of December 2, 2000, I walked off the stage believing that I was forever leaving a piece of my life behind. I naively tried to start a new band, but found that my heart wasnt in it. I moved away to pursue a love that I once had but got lost. SO I moved back home to heal what was broken in me, and to my surprise I found what I was looking or. I found that my heart is in Chicago, and that my heart is in the Smashing Pumpkins.

For a year now I have walked around with a secret, a secret I chose to keep. But now I want you to be among the first to know that I have made plans to renew and revive the Smashing Pumpkins. I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams. In this desire I feel I have come home again.

Smashing Pumpkins split in 2000 after the release of their final album Machina. Following the split Corgan formed Zwan, who split after one record."

I can only hope so.............

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always suspected that Billy has would want to reform them. I think that's why he started Zwan, because he didn't feel right going it on his own but he didn't have enough control for his liking which he did in the Pumpkins and does as a solo artist. I really wonder where a reformed Pumpkins could go musically though. I wouldn't want them to just do a reunion tour like the Pixies or something. He has said some pretty hurtful things about James and Darcy so it'll be interesting to see if they are up for it. Although perhaps it would be Melissa as bassist again.

I really really hope they do reform. Zwan were a pile of piss, and the Pumpkins never really released that final album properly did they? Unfinished business, come on Billy son! Btw, does anyone know what the score is with the Jimmy Chamberlain Project? Read about it but not actually sure what it entails, is Jimmy playing drums and singing, or is it just him with a new group?

Mike

I really really hope they do reform. Zwan were a pile of piss' date=' and the Pumpkins never really released that final album properly did they? Unfinished business, come on Billy son! Btw, does anyone know what the score is with the Jimmy Chamberlain Project? Read about it but not actually sure what it entails, is Jimmy playing drums and singing, or is it just him with a new group?

Mike[/quote']

The Jimmy Chamberlin Complex, is basiclly Jimmy's solo album. It features various guest vocalists, including Corgan on one song. It's not a great album, but I think it's good, with a lot of variety, including a Jazzy instrumental with some great drums.

Yeah that would be good. now all i need is for rage against the machine to reform

Rage Against the Machine could make such a good comeback, but they'd need to do it soon, if they left it too long there would be less interest.

On topic, I was never much of a Smashing Pumpkins fan, but I've started listening to Siamese Dream a lot recently, so a comeback would be good.

Rage Against the Machine could make such a good comeback' date=' but they'd need to do it soon, if they left it too long there would be less interest.

On topic, I was never much of a Smashign Pumpkins fan, but I've started listening to Siamese Dream a lot recently, so a comeback would be good.[/quote']

I'm worried about the possibility of them reverting to their early sound out of nostalgia. I'd rather they picked up where they left off but did it with tunes.

why did smashing pumpkins break up? i just thought they all came to the conclusion they wouldnt be arsed anymore, or was there something more sinister?

i'd like for them to reform. i had siamese dream on this morning, lying in bed, thinking about not thinking about exams. it was lovely.

Chamberlin will not be a problem. Iha will be talked round. The problem is with the bass. D'arcy and Billy have never got on' date=' and Mellissa auf der mer is busy with her own thing. I would love the proper line up to reform though...[/quote']

i think melissa auf der maur would be first to rejoin, to be honest. she was pretty disappointed with the reception of her album, and rejoining the pumpkins certainly wouldnt do her profile any harm. where is d'arcy anyway? i thought she wanted to be a movie star?? so many questions, not enough answers for poor old boss.

i think melissa auf der maur would be first to rejoin' date=' to be honest. she was pretty disappointed with the reception of her album, and rejoining the pumpkins certainly wouldnt do her profile any harm. where is d'arcy anyway? i thought she wanted to be a movie star?? so many questions, not enough answers for poor old boss.[/quote']

Last thing I heard d'arcy had drug issues and Melissa was keen about her new album. We shall see....

Hmm. I'm not so sure about this. It seems pretty unclear as to what direction this could go. As a few people have pointed out here will it revert back to being 1993 rock or will they carry on where Machina left off? Cos I think Billy (from what I've heard) is doing that pretty well just now on his own. Jimmy would obviously agree to do this as they are still best friends (according to Billy) and his solo project is obviously doomed to failure. Melissa I'm sure would want to concentrate on following up her good solo album, but I don't know about James and D'arcy.

i think they should just let it rest. reforming the smashing pumpkins would be like splitting up with your girlfriend of 10years, shaggin a couple of other birds and then deciding that you really want your girlfriend back. in the end, you both know its doomed to failure.

Leave it billy, let the Pumpkins be known as a band who were awesome, not a band who came back cos the singer wanted to slut about for a bit :)

i think they left it too late to split up. they should have split before they bothered with machina because they didn't go out on a high. soundgarden on the other hand split up at the perfect time and are remembered for splitting up after a fantastic and successful record rather than after they were a bit past it, which the pumpkins were when they released machina. it'd be nice if they reformed just so i could see them live, having missed out last time around (had tickets to one of the shows right after jimmy chamberlain got arrested and the keyboard player died) but i'd rather see them play a show full of earlier material, but with an interesting take, like the recent motley crue tour, rather than try to write new material as the pumpkins which i don't think would ever be up to the standard of the siamese dream/mellon collie era.

in response to whomever said the band shouldn't forgive him, i reckon if the band (including billie) could forgive jimmy for the heroin addiction and involvement in the death of their keyboard player, they should all be able to forgive billy for talking shite.

Um' date=' why not?

It wasn't Billy who split them up.

James Iha caused the Pumpkins to split.

I'd personally love it if they reform! One of my favourite bands ever.

Hopefully it'll be the original lineup though. :D[/quote']

how could james Iha "cause the pumpkins to split ?"

did you read the "billy advert" ? "my band this, my band that"

if Iha left, billy corgan probbably wouldn't have noticed.

he's a pretentious tosser, who writes fantastic music...

remember, once they re-form, you'll have to worry about him breaking his vow on never playing the UK again "because of the UK music presses out and out unfair hatred towards billy"...big puff that he is.