aberdeen-music

Fantmas

Fantmas last night

Absolutely AMAZING gig. Seeing Mike Patton live was always going to be ace, but I wasn't prepared for the gig to be THAT good. The look on his face as he was singing "Ave Satani" was priceless. The pieces from Delerium Cordia were absolutely immense, and I do believe we were treated to the first drum solo to not bore the pants off everybody. "Firewalk With Me" was brilliant too. And the pieces from Suspended Animation were ace... Argh! It was all just so fucking brilliant! Patton is like a modern day Mozart, but with like 80 microphones and a ton of samplers instead of a piano, and guitars and drums instead of an orchestra.

So what did everyone else who went think?

I saw them at the Forum in London on saturday, very good, but, had the distinct feeling that they were all shitting themselves of pattons evil gaze, if they made a mistake (and they had to stop 2 songs at the london gig, because of major fuck ups).

Amazing to watch, and as for Zappa's drummer, reading notes, while drumming ? and the speed!...jeez, amazing musicians, for sure...

we had some twat behind us saying "this is shit, it's like watching a car crash"...(then fuck off home, you prick)...

Dalek were amazing, but, the PA kept kutting out, couldn't take the bass.

mugison too, what a crazy Icelander he is ... I'll be checking out his LP, for sure.

all in all, a good gig, but, I'd prefer to watch Secret Chiefs 3....

Kinda wish I'd gone to this...were they playing stuff off every album? PS what's the new one like' date=' haven't got hold of it yet.[/quote']

Aye, stuff off every album, along with a few non-album tracks, including one that they called An American Fuck Up or something like that. They played that twice in a row. From The Directors Cut they played The Omen (Ave Satani), Twin Peaks (Fire Walk With Me) and Experiment In Terror. I'll be fucked if I could tell you what the names of the other songs are though.

Suspended Animation is ace, well worth getting. More like the debut than Delirium Cordia, but with samples from cartoons and games. I'd say it's their third best, but only because I think Delirium Cordia and The Directors Cut are so fucking brilliant. Certainly one of my top three albums of this year anyway. Saying all that doesn't really do it the justice it deserves, but there you go.

I did a thread on this in the feedback forum... I knew it would get virtually ignored on there!

Oooh lovely, they've been merged!

Amazing to watch' date=' and as for Zappa's drummer, reading notes, while drumming ? and the speed!...jeez, amazing musicians, for sure...

we had some twat behind us saying "this is shit, it's like watching a car crash"...(then fuck off home, you prick)...[/quote']

Haha! I noticed that at the Garage. Absolutely phenomenal musicians. The amount of drums the boy had as well... wow. That was music to stand and observe with amazement, rather than try and push into folk to try and prove how hard you are(n't), a.k.a. "moshing". It was so amazing, I was THIS || close to taking a picture with my phone, which I never do since it's a bit lame. Wish I'd taken my proper camera though.

Presumably that guy was expecting Faith No More mark II? Ha! My sister didn't like the music (she was basically just there to see Patton and so I didn't have to go by myself), but she at least had the courtesy to wait until we were outside before saying so.

Dunno if anyone's interested, but this is a link I just found. It's got the original versions of the songs from The Directors Cut. http://www.cv.org/fantomas/originals/

including one that they called An American Fuck Up or something like that.

they did that at the Forum too, "ladies and gentle men, that's an american fuck up right there, we'll try and think british, and do it right..."

they also fucked up another track, and re-started it.

it was the track with the "bam biddy biddy - diddy" vocals + the 50's sci fi space sound (like a theramin)...so, if it was the same track, amazing, they even orchistrate their fuck ups !

they did that at the Forum too' date=' "ladies and gentle men, that's an american fuck up right there, we'll try and think british, and do it right..."

it was the track with the "bam biddy biddy - diddy" vocals + the 50's sci fi space sound (like a theramin)...so, if it was the same track, amazing, they even orchistrate their fuck ups ![/quote']

Hmmm.... I remember him using a theramin at one point, but I don't think it was that track.

But I wouldn't put it past them to decide beforehand which tracks to fuck up.

Patton's stage banter is superb.

I dug it when they did the start of Delirium Corda, and while doing the gothic chanting Mike Patton took the time to scream 'Fuck off' at the chump clapping next to me before resuming perfectly... I'd cut off a toenail on my right foot to get a lowdown on how he trains his vocals, just astounding throughout, how someone can scream in such an unholy manner and then break into a perfect falsetto, I'll never understand...

I was also delighted that in the encore he played my favourite part out of the whole of Delirium Corda, made my whole evening. As anybody who's met me in the last few days will tell you, I'm still amazingly psyched about it all. Actually, in my mind, Suspended Animation is my favourite Fantomas album, such a dense collage but after a few listens it just opens up... probably Delirium Corda after that, just an awesome piece of work, despite people being pissed off at the time it didn't fit to the short track lengths of the first album.

I dug it when they did the start of Delirium Corda' date=' and while doing the gothic chanting Mike Patton took the time to scream 'Fuck off' at the chump clapping next to me before resuming perfectly... I'd cut off a toenail on my right foot to get a lowdown on how he trains his vocals, just astounding throughout, how someone can scream in such an unholy manner and then break into a perfect falsetto, I'll never understand... [/quote']

I've got an interview he did with Mary Anne Hobbs on Breezeblock a while back... he claims he just shouts a lot and just tries to experiment as much as he can and basically tries to wreck his voice, which ends up making it the way it is. Whatever he does, it works.

Fantastic negative scene point comment I got for this thread: "YOU THINK YOU MIK PATTON BUT YOU NOT OK" :D Sounds like it was written by a chinese person. That beats "Fuck you you fucking tosser I hate you" and "tosser", which were my past two.

they did that at the Forum too' date=' "ladies and gentle men, that's an american fuck up right there, we'll try and think british, and do it right..."

it was the track with the "bam biddy biddy - diddy" vocals + the 50's sci fi space sound (like a theramin)...so, if it was the same track, amazing, they even orchistrate their fuck ups ![/quote']

i was at the forum too, i'm pretty sure i saw you with a friend on the northern line going south? i got off at king's cross.

i've got to say i felt a bit disappointed by this gig. but then, i also felt a little disappointed by suspended animation too... i thought it was more like a sequel to mr bungle's disco volante, but not as good. i've listened to it a lot, but perhaps not enough. delirium cordia i was in love with on the second listen.

thought mugison started off really well but he got a bit annoying towards the end.

dalek were totally not what i was expecting and i enjoyed it quite a lot at first, but then the bass began to really hurt my ears - it was a strange feeling - usually it's the treble and mids that kill my ears first, but the bass was truly stomach shifting at points. i wandered off to buy a t-shirt at that point.

there were a few reasons why i didn't enjoy fantomas as much, i think... i preferred the astoria for some reason, and the sound inside it. the forum seemed a little empty in comparison, maybe it was the big vacant balcony upstairs. secondly, before the gig, i was disappointed that dave lombardo wasn't drumming with them. and though credit must be given to the stand-in drummer for doing an incredibly difficult job, i really don't feel he came anywhere close to dave lombardo's performance last year at the astoria. i don't listen to slayer so i don't know what his other stuff is like but his fantomas performance was astounding. the hugely expansive drum setup seemed largely underused this time. lastly i suppose having seen fantomas play the year before, the excitement of seeing them again was not as great. in terms of the set, i wish they had played more from the self-titled and more pieces from delirium cordia.

i still think it was a good gig, but had i not been in london anyway and had i made the trip just for that gig, i think i would have felt disappointed.

i've heard his people skills can leave a little to be desired though.

Aye, but that's one of his most amusing features, I have a live Tomahawk track where he has a guy removed just because he's wearing a slipknot t-shirt, he's an absolute legend of a man.

secondly' date=' before the gig, i was disappointed that dave lombardo wasn't drumming with them. and though credit must be given to the stand-in drummer for doing an incredibly difficult job, i really don't feel he came anywhere close to dave lombardo's performance last year at the astoria. i don't listen to slayer so i don't know what his other stuff is like but his fantomas performance was astounding. the hugely expansive drum setup seemed largely underused this time.

[/quote']

I actually knew a few people who specifically came to the Glasgow gig to see Terry Bozzio playing drums for them, and the more educated than me (since I can't drum to save my life) said he was better than Lombarda would've been. Either way, pretty cool to see Frank Zappa's drummer playing live, apparently he's doing a workshop in Glasgow next month than I might go along to...

What date was the London gig? Just wondering because the response from that seems more muted than the Glasgow date, and thinking maybe if it was before Glasgow, then Bozzio would've been more into the swing of things by the Glasgow date.

I actually knew a few people who specifically came to the Glasgow gig to see Terry Bozzio playing drums for them' date=' and the more educated than me (since I can't drum to save my life) said he was better than Lombarda would've been.

[/quote']

The inference possibly being that these people hadn't seen Fantomas first time round and didn't see dave lombardo playing to judge for themselves? maybe i'm being picky but i made the comparison because i'd seen both, and judged them only on their performances with fantomas, not in any other things they have done.

What date was the London gig? Just wondering because the response from that seems more muted than the Glasgow date' date=' and thinking maybe if it was before Glasgow, then Bozzio would've been more into the swing of things by the Glasgow date.[/quote']

it was 18th June, saturday night.