aberdeen-music

Keith Chaos

Hog

Guest Bob Double Jack
As for the media P&J needs a dedicated entertainment section like the Northern Scot how about inundating the P&J a letter campaign or such requesting they get their finger out and Grampian news and reporting scotland did bits on air guitar championships and the sky festival in the last weeks but not a sniff about either KCL or SMF.

a campaign like that would just be ignored in truth. Genuinely, how many people who read the P&J would go to one of these gigs, or indeed any gigs that were covered in the paper.

The Evening Express at least has a dedicated entertainment section every thursday which would probably be a more likely avenue to pursue. Or even The Citizen / Indepependent.

Just a thought, and no offence intended.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a campaign like that would just be ignored in truth. Genuinely' date=' how many people who read the P&J would go to one of these gigs, or indeed any gigs that were covered in the paper.

[/quote']

I'd like to see them justify the quarter page they dedicated to 3 local blues players looking for a guitarist for gigging about once a month.

Looks like journalism is the same as the music biz, it's not what you know, it's who you know.

a campaign like that would just be ignored in truth. Genuinely' date=' how many people who read the P&J would go to one of these gigs, or indeed any gigs that were covered in the paper.

The Evening Express at least has a dedicated entertainment section every thursday which would probably be a more likely avenue to pursue. Or even The Citizen / Indepependent.

Just a thought, and no offence intended.[/quote']

Cheers for that and none taken

Just a thought, and no offence intended.[/quote']

The Evening Express is not worth reading if you're outwith Aberdeen and the immediate area. It doesn't cater for anyone in the outlying areas at all. It's a pity coz I know about the entertainment secion on a Thursday but that's not enough for a purchase.

I see it on Fridays in Ashvale in Elgin and even the weather map just shows Aberdeenshire

Guest Bob Double Jack
The Evening Express is not worth reading if you're outwith Aberdeen and the immediate area. It doesn't cater for anyone in the outlying areas at all. It's a pity coz I know about the entertainment secion on a Thursday but that's not enough for a purchase.

I see it on Fridays in Ashvale in Elgin and even the weather map just shows Aberdeenshire

Not strictly speaking true - it has covered local stories in the past from Elgin (Arlene Fraser, recent job losses at Lossiemouth / Buckie), but it is, along with Montrose, their most outlying area.

Elgin city's function room has a good sound. Not huge' date=' but a decent stage. They are also amenable to letting it be used for gigs. Don't know at what cost though.[/quote']

I would imagine Elgin City would greatly welcome the use of there function room as times im afraid are hard and it looks like its gonna get alot worse before it gets better. :(

If they dont hire out the rooms i'd really be intrested in knowing why, infact i might enquire about the situation when the pre-season begins in July.

Jammer i think Elgin as a music destination died with The Piner and The Venue, i had some great nights in both those places :cheers: and since then there hasn't really been much The Highlanders Rallys ( although i haven't heard of one in a while ), Valid Nights and OCD promoted gigs seem to be the only Elgin gigs.

Infact being the main town in Moray it's strange how all the gigs seem to be in Keith, Rothes, Buckie and outwith areas :moody:

On a more positive note i have it on good authority that the recently refurbished old Giles building opposite the PO in Elgin will be putting on gigs and not just the Dance Music it was planning to when it opened for its trial 5 week run - we wait and see :D

Not strictly speaking true - it has covered local stories in the past from Elgin (Arlene Fraser' date=' recent job losses at Lossiemouth / Buckie), but it is, along with Montrose, their most outlying area.[/quote']

Exactly, it emphasises on negative aspects

I would imagine Elgin City would greatly welcome the use of there function room as times im afraid are hard and it looks like its gonna get alot worse before it gets better. :(

If they dont hire out the rooms i'd really be intrested in knowing why' date=' infact i might enquire about the situation when the pre-season begins in July.

Jammer i think Elgin as a music destination died with The Piner and The Venue, i had some great nights in both those places :cheers: and since then there hasn't really been much The Highlanders Rallys ( although i haven't heard of one in a while ), Valid Nights and OCD promoted gigs seem to be the only Elgin gigs.

Infact being the main town in Moray it's strange how all the gigs seem to be in Keith, Rothes, Buckie and outwith areas :moody:

On a more positive note i have it on good authority that the recently refurbished old Giles building opposite the PO in Elgin will be putting on gigs and not just the Dance Music it was planning to when it opened for its trial 5 week run - we wait and see :D[/quote']

Elgin city do hire out their function suite, i was at a mates 21st birthday there last summer. it was an excellent night, quite a cool venue, and we even sneaked onto the pitch and had a game- never before has Borough Briggs seen such skill.

I wouldn't hold out on that Ocean place that used to be Giles, its changed its mind so much on what kind of club it wants to be. I see it being closed before the year is out

It's probably all he can remember, if you were discussing what I think you were discussing. I can certainly remember the good Frosty and Jonny the bass player sitting in a parked hire car, making broom broom noises and thoroughly enjoying their (stationary) road trip.

I'm not going to say any more about Highlander's rallies though, as I might get into trouble myself.

Doing a browse, there does seem to be one this year, but it's no longer held at Mundole

Regards

Flossie

Jammer i think Elgin as a music destination died with The Piner and The Venue' date=' i had some great nights in both those places :cheers: and since then there hasn't really been much The Highlanders Rallys ( although i haven't heard of one in a while ), Valid Nights and OCD promoted gigs seem to be the only Elgin gigs.

[/quote']

We've just been confirmed to play The Highlander Rally at Inchberry Hall on the 10th September.

:rockon::cheers:

Guest Laura@TMB
Jammer i think Elgin as a music destination died with The Piner and The Venue' date=' i had some great nights in both those places :cheers: [/quote']

The Venue - remind me, was that the place above The Newmarket Bar? Went to a gig at the Venue, when I used to go back home weekends, but can't really remember where it was :help:

Al'-timer's disease is starting to set in :down:

The Venue - remind me' date=' was that the place above The Newmarket Bar? Went to a gig at the Venue, when I used to go back home weekends, but can't really remember where it was :help:

Al'-timer's disease is starting to set in :down:[/quote']

Yipe thats the one up the close to Nicky's then turn right, up the stairs to The Venue. :rockon::cheers::rockon:

No unfortunately it became The Jailhouse which was a Nightclub similar to Joanna's in Elgin except it had more extreme dance music.

But the story doesn't end there The Jailhouse was the victim of a fire, and the insurance wouldn't pay out ( allegedly ) added to this the owners other Premises spire collapsed due to high winds ( High Spirits ie an old church ) so they suffered finacially.

The Jailhouse never got repaired and still hasn't to this day and High Spirits was repossesed by the brewery.

Not a happy story all round.

If they dont hire out the rooms i'd really be intrested in knowing why' date=' infact i might enquire about the situation when the pre-season begins in July.

On a more positive note i have it on good authority that the recently refurbished old Giles building opposite the PO in Elgin will be putting on gigs and not just the Dance Music it was planning to when it opened for its trial 5 week run - we wait and see :D[/quote']

I agree with you Mordred my man, Elgin has a brief flirtation with live music every now and then as per the Piner and everybody supports it for a few weeks then it's back to the norm.

The Elgin City Hall would be great but as above... would people bother their sorry arses to go down there? It may be worth a go though.

Meanwhile it's Keith, Buckie and more recently Rothes and Forres continue to keep gigs in this area. Lossie used to be good when the Beacher and the other bars used to take bands. I remember doing The Lorellei sound there once when they used oor PA.

The Venue - remind me' date=' was that the place above The Newmarket Bar? Went to a gig at the Venue, when I used to go back home weekends, but can't really remember where it was :help:

Al'-timer's disease is starting to set in :down:[/quote']

Played there a few times, lots of people but generally shite sound. Still at least it was in the centre of town. Graham Tatters used to own it

Meanwhile it's Keith' date=' Buckie and more recently Rothes and Forres continue to keep gigs in this area. Lossie used to be good when the Beacher and the other bars used to take bands. I remember doing The Lorelei sound there once when they used oor PA.[/quote']

Really? Where was this, in Lossie?