aberdeen-music

Batman Begins

Guest Logan

Guest Logan

WOW!! FUCKING HELL!!!

Went in to see the midnight showing this morning (Where were all of you?). It was simply amazing! It totally surpassed all of my expectations!

Sure, if you're a huge fan of the comics, you're gonna nit pick at some things, but you've just got to take this movie as it's own franchise. It's fantastic! The Scarecrow's costume was a HUGE concern of mine seeing the pictures of it, but once you watch the movie you totally get it! Same thing with Ra's Al Ghul, why was he Japanese? ;)

The ending is a bit....hmm. More Spider-Man than Batman, but it was still cool. And as for the last scene, OH MY F'N GOD!! >_< I creamed my pants! Holy Year One Batman!!

If you haven't seen this film yet, what's wrong with you! This is the best movie of the year, even beating Revenge of the Sith, which I thought nothing could!

Guest Logan
I'm amazed it took you this long. Paul(s) and I saw it today and I thought it was awesome!

Well I was going to do it when I got back from the cinema, but that was like 4am, and I couldn't be bothered! :p

YouthGoneWild you should DEFINITELY go see it!! This kills the other Batman movie franchise and makes space for it's own. As good as the Tim Burton Batman movies were, this movie just over shadows them. It hits the nail on the head depicting Batman as the Dark Knight.

This is just a story that really hasn't been seen before. Sure, we've all seen Bruce's parents shot dead, but we never get to see what happens after that. The grueling 7 years of training Bruce puts himself through to ultimately become Gotham's Champion!

This film has it all, including a small cameo from one of Batman's Rogue Gallery (Who I actually mentioned would be good in a movie in a post I made AGES ago about a possible Batman Begins sequel).

For the first time in a Batman movie, I loved just watching Bruce Wayne be Bruce Wayne! Bale gave the character so much life and depth, so much so that I didn't want Batman to show up at all! But when he does (quite a sizeable chunk into the movie) it just blows you away! And my god, The Batman is terrifying! No smart ass one liners like Spider-Man (bar the coat gag), it's all gritted teeth and a raspy voice. Bale is able to give an amazing performance behind the cowl, especially in the eyes.

The rest of the cast are just mouth watering too. Gary Oldman IS James Gordon. He looks almost identical to his look in Batman: Year One. He and Bale have such good on screen chemistry. You can really see their relationship develop throughout the movie and where it leads them to in the end.

Katie Holmes is a bit...meh. I guess I just don't really like her as an actress, and I'm bitter because she beat Natalie Portman to the role who would have been so much better! She does her part well enough, and doesn't spoil the movie thankfully.

Liam Neeson is just an acting GOD. He plays the role of a mentor SO well (Qui Gon Jinn anyone?) Looks like his Jedi Sword training paid off for this movie! ^_^

Michael Caine is unbelievably good in his role of Alfred, the loyal butler to the Wayne family and surrogate father of Bruce. I'm glad Anthony Hopkins turned down this role, after seeing Caine, no one else can fill his shoes! He has such a presence on screen, you wish there was more of him.

Cillian Murphy is a star. There's no denying that now. It's hard to believe that it's the same guy from 28 Days Later! His Jonathon Crane is a lot different from the comic book version, which isn't such a bad thing as his character is fresh and new on screen. Like I said before, his Scarecrow costume just works! I know it's only a mask, but it just creeps you out! His fear toxin is a little different from the comics too, I was a bit bummed about it at first as it could have made for some cool little scenes, but it works for the movie.

And Morgan Freeman is just like Lucious Fox, he's the nicest guy in the world! He has some great lines in the movie, made great by his timing and delivery. He's a world class actor and I'm glad he's taking a break from the norm to do a big time franchise movie like Batman.

The rest of the supporting cast are excellent too, which all adds to the feel of Gotham City being a real place with real people.

On a scale of 10 this film earns it's 10. Despite me thinking the ending was a bit hollywood, you needed something like that on a huge scale to bring this huge movie to a close. And at the end you WILL be gasping for more, and very surprised! I simply cannot wait for the sequels!

I can't wait to go buy the game tomorrow, if it's anything like the movie it'll be awesome! ^_^

I enjoyed it quite a lot - so probably a 7/10 for me.

I would disagree with you about there being no cheesy one liners though! What about "Can you drive stick?" Bleugh!

Also, I thought the only wrongly cast person was Liam Neeson. I love him normally, but I thought he was really, really crap in this part. He just stuck out like a sore thumb. Also I thought he'd pretty much just played his star wars role over again - very little effort to make it anything different.

My only other complaint is that the fight sequences were cut a bit fast. It was almost impossible to tell who was who, and who was winning for most of them IMHO.

Overall I though the first part of the film - the bit in Japan or wherever it was - was pretty arsey. I was glad when he returned to Gotham and the real plot began. I know it's good to have the background etc. but I thought it was a bit pretentious. The second half was ace though - I thought Katie Holmes, the Scarecrow guy, and the good cop were all excelently cast. Michael Cane was brilliant also - his one liners had the cinema in stitches.

Morgan Freeman - what a legend. The crack about Bruce Wayne needing the antidote in spray form, to which Bruce replied something about "You know, you're at a party, someone's passing about an airbourne hallucinogenic...." was the highlight of the film for me.

Worth going to see, but not as good as Sin City.

Guest tv tanned
Is this going to be ANOTHER film that Logan rates as "TEH BESTEST EVAH!" that turns out to be hyped pish? (See: Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions' date=' Van Helsing etc etc etc), or is it ACTUALLY going to be good? Looking forward to it anyway.....[/quote']

As a guide the Sunday Herald gave it 5/5.

That is unheard of from them

Guest Logan
Is this going to be ANOTHER film that Logan rates as "TEH BESTEST EVAH!" that turns out to be hyped pish? (See: Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions' date=' Van Helsing etc etc etc), or is it ACTUALLY going to be good? Looking forward to it anyway.....[/quote']

That's a bit uncalled for :(

I agree with Princess Holly about the 12A thing. There have already been crying children bolting from the screens. *And* we have to warn all people taking kids in, which will be a pain in the arse I'm sure. I think the fight scenes were so fast and blurry to earn the lower rating, as you never really see any physical contact.

BUT it is an ace movie! Best film I've seen this year for sure. You don't even notice the length, and that's the sign of a good film. Excellent casting, great tension, just overall great!

Saw it last night and i can safely say it was a really good film. Over two hours is usually too long for my liking but it meant that the story had so much more depth, and that the film could actually be done properly without glossing over any parts.

The acting, filming, special effects and even the realistic gadgets were all the bees knees. I think this will blow all the other shit comic film remakes - Fantastic 4 and so on - out of the water this year. Cast gave it their all, and although the scarecrow baddie was ultimately shit (who's scared of a guy with a mask), the plot to take over / ruin gotham city was very clever. I also liked the way they justified the second film. Using "escalation and theatrics", then showing the jokers card.

Anyone that enjoyed the film will be pleased to know that they're making a second one with the joker and at the end of that the joker attacks someone and creates two-face for a third film - or so New Found Power was telling me last night.

As snowball also pointed out the fight scenes were a bit crap, especially the one at the start, the one in the palace, the one against the ninjas... well yea, they were all pretty crap i guess.

I also dare anyone to shout "Thanks MTV" at the bit when the tramp says 'Killer ride man'... i wasn't quick enough.

8/10

Guest Logan

The fast editing fighting worked for when you first see Batman, but yeah, it's a bit annoying when it's just plain Bruce Wayne.

And yes, the basic outline for the next two films (which I posted here a while ago) are to have Joker be the villain in the next movie, with Batman getting some help by the new DA (a replacement for the one that was murdered?) Harvey Dent to put The Joker away, but not killing him. Instead he will stand trial (this possibly happens at either the start of movie 3, or the end of movie 2) and Joker throws the acid (whatever they're using this time around) in Dent's face, creating Two-Face to be the 3rd movies villain! There's some talk about including Harley Quinn in the next movie (I'm sure my girl would go nuts about that), so here's hoping they're as good as this one!

I vote for Crispin Glover to be the new Joker. crispinjoker.jpg

He already looks the part without make-up! But add some white to the face, green hair, and some red lips and he IS The Joker! No need for prosthetics at all! Perfect chin and nose to boot! And he's more of a creepy homicidal manical Joker much like the comics as opposed to Jack Nicholson's offer. To be honest though, I'd like no one better than Mark Hamill to play Joker. His voice acting is so perfect on Batman: The Animated Series, but he's perhaps a bit too old to play him (Jack Nicholson was 51 or something when he played the character though).

I vote for Crispin Glover to be the new Joker. crispinjoker.jpg

He already looks the part without make-up! But add some white to the face' date=' green hair, and some red lips and he IS The Joker! No need for prosthetics at all! Perfect chin and nose to boot! And he's more of a creepy homicidal manical Joker much like the comics as opposed to Jack Nicholson's offer. [/quote']

yes! YES! Hell fucking Yes! I love Crispin Glover. His eeriness is so damn sexy. The thought of not knowing whether he'd kill you after he was done shagging you is such a turn on. And that's in real life so god knows how incredible he'd be in the movie!

Went to see it today with high hopes, I was entertained for the duration, but overall I was very disappointed. Batman looked like shit, Katie Holmes' character was pointless, the only great character was Liam Neeson's, he was perfect. It felt like half of the dialog was written with idiots in mind. How many times did the guy in Wayne Towers have to repeat his point? He was hilariously bad.

I won't mention too much for those that haven't seen it, but there was so much pointless and unexplainable shit. Plus, have they forgotten how the Joker came to be?

Worth seeing for a few hours of entertainment, but don't go in expecting the world. :(

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought when you see Batman walking past Arkham's inpatients, one of them looks eerily like The Joker sans-make-up.

But God, it was just ace. Even staying up till 3.15 on a work-night (imagine!) I was utterly enthralled by the whole thing. It was so perfectly weighted. And Cillian Murphy, those eyes...

I was reading about the making in Empire yesterday, and apparently Michael Caine told Christopher Nolan how the scene when Batman is standing on the tower surveying Gotham below him was the best use of CG he'd ever seen... and Nolan had to laugh, because they'd spent hours actually perfecting that shot in Chicago. That just summed it up to me, how much more grounded it was, more realistic.

Nolan had a great quote about how he admired the way Tim Burton made this extraordinary Gotham, so Batman fitted right in, but he wanted Gotham to be ordinary, to emphasise how extraordinary the character was. Sums up the difference so well. I just hope Nolan signs on for the sequel, it'd be great to see what he comes up without going through the back-story first...

PS I hadn't even thought about the other movies until the end sequence, and it seemed amazing how detached Nolan and Goyer had managed to make the whole movie from the franchise, so that I hadn't even thought about Batman Forever (I've managed to never see Batman & Robin, apart from one hideous 5-minute chunk...). No crass advertising, no lame soundtrack, no big-name actors showcasing, what a success.

Maybe I'm wrong' date=' but I thought when you see Batman walking past Arkham's inpatients, one of them looks eerily like The Joker sans-make-up.

.[/quote']

unfortunately you are wrong (i think) cuz noone seems to have any clue who the joker is at the end....my thought though..

i think a few things could have been added (PURELY for fan service) to make the film better - Dr Crane (my GOD Cillian murphy is gorgeous...i watch 28 days later just to see his man bits :D) could have mentioned Dr Quinzel...just a thought..you know like "call dr quinzel" or something..it would introduce her for the next film and already settle that she works in Arkham...

also..when the wall of one of the cells is bust through in Arkham it would have been better if the inmates of that cell were recogniseable batman villians...im not talking about the joker/two face/penguin etc but someone like film freak or the less obvious villains would have been nice instead of the pure randoms!!!!!!

The film on the whole ROCKED HARD! I was already hyper after seeing THAT harry potter trailer on the big screen..ohhh loverly! But i freakin loved all the build up and the whole Bruce Wayne finding himself (how hot did young Bruce look? - not 8 year old bruce obviously...but when he was home from college) thing...very well done :) As far as i'm concerned there was NO need whatsoever for the pointless actress that is Katie Holmes (god i hate her)....there wasnt really need for a romantic undertone in the film and natalie portman would have played the part better anyway..besides Katie Holmes has only ONE expression..that stupid lost look she always made to Dawson and Pacey.."oohah i cant choose" fuck off..pacey's CLEARLY hotter...what was i saying?

Next films villians...Crispin Glover..damn right!

but im also thinking..Adrien Brody (perfect face) or Brad Dourif (hes kinda creepy) but i dunnoo....

adrien-brody04.jpg

wormtongue3.jpg

im also thinking Steve Buscemi or Kevin Spacey but im not so sure on them..

As for Harley Quinn (other than me playing her :p) I'd like to see Brittany Murphy, Thora Birch or (my fav choice at the moment) Christina Ricci.....If they dare get that fucking Racheal Mcadams to do it..i swear i will shoot Chris Nolan in the face.

so yeah :p

big_2005_03_21_12_47_brittany_murphy3.jpg

thora_birch_001.jpg

Christina_Ricci_fra__15227e.jpg

well I saw it today. I think it was good, but not as good as I expected. I enjoyed the build up to him actually becoming Batman. Despite what was said, I actually liked Liam Neeson's part in the film. I just kind of felt that after his becoming Batman, the film kind of went into "standard super hero movie" mode. But in saying that it was still enjoyable, but I have to say I prefer the Michael Keaton ones.

Andy

Not sure if any of you actually noticed this but the way the Wayne Estate was portrayed to be so close to gotham (during the car scene) then when in later shows after the house burns down you see lots of nice shots of the scenery not a city in sight for miles ;) just wondered if anyone else noticed that?

Saw it last night. Thee were bits I liked and bits I didn't:

Cillian Murphy was FUCKING ACE. Perfectly creepy, totally nuts, ace costume.

Katie Holmes was shite. As someone said, pretty pointless.

The new Batmobile was great, I was totally prepared to hate it, under the opinion that the defintive mobile should be pretty sleek and not tank-like and bulky; but the scene where it escapes over the roof-tops was awesome.

Gary Oldham as Gordon - Spot on! Ditto Caine as Alfred

Wasn't that impressed with Neeson, and the fight scenes seemed heavily edited to get the 12A rating

There was something about the new bat suit that I didn't like, can't quite put my finger on it....

Overall, I though it pretty good, I liked the slightly more realistic overtones, Bale was pretty good (think he'll get better as the franchise progresses), was slightly dissappointed it wasn't as awesome as Sin City, but not much is! And the scene is set perfectly for a sequel that should be cool as shit, 'specially if this chap is involved....

813for_logan.jpg