aberdeen-music

Ok, where should we record?

Hog

No one is writing off your studio because of cliques or being narrow minded. They are boycotting your studio due to you being childish and petty, unreasonably slating other studios in order to advertise your own.

There you go again? I never slated anyone, merely expressed my opinion. Is that a crime?

I really do feel sorry for some of the bands who use these studios. Most of them have never been in a professional recording environment, and when they go into a studio with a budget mixing console, and a rack of budget outboard gear, to them it's " The Dogs!! "

My studio is offering a serious alternative to existing facilities in Aberdeen at a very reasonable rate. To me it's all about getting the best out of everyone involved during the session, and producing the best work I can. The fact that I can provide that cheaper than most, seems to have hit a nerve with certain individuals on here who are obviously in cahoots with some of the studios I've mentioned. Come on Guys, competition is healthy!! :up:

You need to open your eyes Mate, as what I said is very true !!

My mistake, people in Aberdeen slag off anything that's new regardless of its merits or how it is being presented, you're clearly right.

On an even more general note, this is a perfect example of why musicians/artists/creative types make shit business owners. This all guns blazing tact is awful for your business.

Apologies Dave, but the webpage is just to list the gear and contact details. At the end of the day I'm all about production. A glitzy website, and false claims are not my bag The end result speaks for itself !!! Shaker 2am by Ronny W on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Wow, that really does speak for itself. Absolutely amazing production, those struggling >16kHz transients really do the recording and therefore your claims justice. That low end is TIGHT! Everything sounds really together and clearly a lot of time has been spent on the panning synth sound so it sits well in the mix. Real good job, I cant access your website though, otherwise I'd be all over getting a really basic, flat sound.

What are the other studios in Aberdeen thinking? Whats the point in doing anything at all when there is gonna be something better out there? Fools, they should just shut up shop eh? I mean I can't stand boxy badly recorded nonsense that serves just a 'purpose'. Kids should understand that any studio with a desk and some outboard stuff isn't 'the dogs' until they've sen the real deal eh? Makes me sick about how naive some people can be. God.

I will never use the studio of a man who cannot use apostrophes.

I listened to that 9minute track you put online...it sounds pretty good (I mean, the song is Godawful, but the recording is decent). However, it isn't exactly relevant, because it's a loungey, funk-lite number that will not tick many of the boxes that this forum's users will have.

Any chance of you putting up a indie rock track or something?

BTW, dismissing those who disagree with you as 'small-minded' and 'cliquey' is really idiotic. Your tone in this thread is simultaneously confrontational and defensive, which is very unattractive and does not bode well for your man-management and interaction skills. Knowing that we will get along with the engineer is a fundamental part of the recording process, so I suggest you spend a little time working on how to interact with people. Read Carnegie's 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' or something.

Knowing that we will get along with the engineer is a fundamental part of the recording process, so I suggest you spend a little time working on how to interact with people.

QFT! I'd hate to go somewhere and not feel at ease with the person recording my music. It may just be Kingbass' online persona that's talking on this forum, but if it's the medium that you're advertising your service on, you should still try and be a welcoming person. I'm not picking up that vibe at all.

This thread is a perfect example of why schools should teach basic internet skills, not how to send an email or any of that crap but useful things like "how to use internet forums without coming across like a tool" or "how to ignore obvious bait and avoid a flamewar".

Kingbass, you're being a tool. Within a couple of hours you've guaranteed most of the users on this forum, and their friends (word of mouth being far more powerful when it's negative) will not use your studio based purely on your batshit mental attitude to self-promotion. You also did a good job of slagging off one of the site moderators who was trying to help you before this got out of hand!

Take a breath, think about how a customer would feel seeing this thread, not how great you think you are. Now go learn to use the internet like a grown up and maybe your business will do well out of it.

• Upvote 1

This thread is a perfect example of why schools should teach basic internet skills, not how to send an email or any of that crap but useful things like "how to use internet forums without coming across like a tool" or "how to ignore obvious bait and avoid a flamewar".

Kingbass, you're being a tool. Within a couple of hours you've guaranteed most of the users on this forum, and their friends (word of mouth being far more powerful when it's negative) will not use your studio based purely on your batshit mental attitude to self-promotion. You also did a good job of slagging off one of the site moderators who was trying to help you before this got out of hand!

Take a breath, think about how a customer would feel seeing this thread, not how great you think you are. Now go learn to use the internet like a grown up and maybe your business will do well out of it.

The site moderator you speak of, is biased in all this becuase he's got a boozer to plug, and most of the bands who play there use the existing studios in Aberdeen. We all know he's friends with at least one of the studio owners I mentioned, so naturally he's going to jump to their defence

It seems on here you are not allowed to criticise anything about the Aberdeen music scene. Nobody wants to listen, everything is fantastic, the bands are the best, venues/facilities amazing and the whole music scene is buzzing up here. Yeah to the selective few that is !!

How wrong you lot are!!

The site moderator you speak of, is biased in all this becuase he's got a boozer to plug.

You're thinking of the wrong guy.

This thread is 6 years old...

Also bad mouthing your competitors on a public forum isn't the best way of getting new business. Especially a forum where many of those competitors are members or have friends and loyal customers who are members.

Chris is the moderator in question and last I heard he didn't own any boozers. He was the first to reply to your initial post in this thread.

You keep going on about the Aberdeen music scene as if we're an amorphous blob who've been together since birth. That's simply not true. It isn't a clique who are entirely opposed to new ideas, new people and new opportunities but it's much easier to get on board with new things when they are presented in a positive way.

You'd have been better off telling us about what you can offer without the comparisons to your competitors. Of course there's going to be a bias towards the existing local recording studios - that's no slight on us or on you; it's human nature to stick with what you know - but that's no reason to start slagging people off for reacting negatively to what is essentially a negative sales pitch.

Tell us about your strengths, not everyone elses weaknesses and I might listen to you.

I listened to that 9minute track you put online...it sounds pretty good (I mean, the song is Godawful, but the recording is decent). However, it isn't exactly relevant, because it's a loungey, funk-lite number that will not tick many of the boxes that this forum's users will have.

The track your talking about is actually an instrumental, and not a " Song ". The track is god awful? That's your opinion!! It's ok for you to express your opinion, and slag off my track, but it's not ok for me to express my opinions about some of the studios in Aberdeen??????

Bear in mind that it's an mp3. If you heard the track properly then I'm sure you would agree that the recording quality is excellent, regardless of the fact it's a " Lounge Lite Track! " as you put it. I've produced loads of different genres over the years, from funk to folk, to rock, to string quartets. I can easily send you a showreel CD if you like?

Guest droid
The track your talking about is actually an instrumental, and not a " Song ". The track is god awful? That's your opinion!! It's ok for you to express your opinion, and slag off my track, but it's not ok for me to express my opinions about some of the studios in Aberdeen??????

Bear in mind that it's an mp3. If you heard the track properly then I'm sure you would agree that the recording quality is excellent, regardless of the fact it's a " Lounge Lite Track! " as you put it. I've produced loads of different genres over the years, from funk to folk, to rock, to string quartets. I can easily send you a showreel CD if you like?

You know as well as me that that track was recorded at Revelation Studios in the 90's!:up:

You're thinking of the wrong guy.

Chris is the moderator in question and last I heard he didn't own any boozers. He was the first to reply to your initial post in this thread.

You keep going on about the Aberdeen music scene as if we're an amorphous blob who've been together since birth. That's simply not true. It isn't a clique who are entirely opposed to new ideas, new people and new opportunities but it's much easier to get on board with new things when they are presented in a positive way.

You'd have been better off telling us about what you can offer without the comparisons to your competitors. Of course there's going to be a bias towards the existing local recording studios - that's no slight on us or on you; it's human nature to stick with what you know - but that's no reason to start slagging people off for reacting negatively to what is essentially a negative sales pitch.

Tell us about your strengths, not everyone elses weaknesses and I might listen to you.

I stand corrected!! Apologies, but I thought you meant the chap that runs the Moorings??

You know as well as me that that track was recorded at Revelation Studios in the 90's!:up:

Revelation, a great studio in it's day, and a perfect example where someone had the insight to open a decent studio, only for bands to continue going elsewhere?

Doesn't make sense to me??

BTW, dismissing those who disagree with you as 'small-minded' and 'cliquey' is really idiotic. Your tone in this thread is simultaneously confrontational and defensive, which is very unattractive and does not bode well for your man-management and interaction skills. Knowing that we will get along with the engineer is a fundamental part of the recording process, so I suggest you spend a little time working on how to interact with people. Read Carnegie's 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' or something.

Must spread, etc.

Bang on the money on both fronts - specifically around the interaction between engineer and band front.

"Record at mine because everyone else is shit" - is that the sum total of the sales pitch here? I'm no marketing expert, but wouldn't it be better to focus on and promote your strengths rather than waging a negative campaign based upon (your opinion of) your competitors' shortcomings?

You are not coming across well. You appear arrogant to me, and that opinion grows with every hole digging response you make where you blame your potential customers for the negative reaction your ill-advised utterances have generated.

He's right. I am biased. I'm biased against someone with no demonstrable track record coming on here and bad mouthing a bunch of decent people in a blatantly negative effort, focused on drumming up business for himself. If he had a track record then he wouldn't need to behave like this.

The people and places that he has bad mouthed have all succeeded in operating for a long time. Captain Tom's and The Mill have both been in business for well over a decade and that takes real skill to accomplish. Strangely enough bad mouthing others has never been part of their business plan. Perhaps thats part of the secret of their longevity. Show some fucking respect.

Has it ever occurred to him that sound quality might not actually be a prime motivator in a bands choice of studio? I'd hazard a guess that easy access, people that are easy to get along with, flexibility, and low cost are probably much higher on most bands lists - rightly or wrongly so. And if quality is such a big deal then they're hardly likely to take a chance on him anyway.

PS - personally I'm all for sound quality.

• Upvote 1

Surely it would be better to advertise what you are capable of in the first place? I sure as hell don't want to have to wait to hear a cd. Due to the compression of an mp3, it doesn't stand up as a representation. If you wanted a decent example of what you can produce, you could have uploaded a 24 bit wav? Soundcloud would have allowed for it.

Also, think about it like this:

An established community of traders (baker/butcher/farmer/grocer) quite happily going about their business and trading (mostly) in harmony. Some 'out of town' bigshot comes in and tells these farmers their crops are rubbish, belittles them, insinuates they know nothing of their trade and offers a better way of doing things.

Now his way of trading maybe is very good and could be beneficial for the community, but all he has to show for his methods is a loaf of seeded bread. The bread is ok, but not to everyone's tastes and as such people are skeptical of the spectrum of methods.

Rather than persuade the towns folk, he becomes defensive and struggles to get his initial point across, which is a shame, because he is only trying to earn a living. He remembers what an old man told him once and looks up thoughtfully one night. He gets an idea. He arranges a community fare for everyone to attend and clear up the misunderstanding. All is going well and everyone understands why his method is better; some change to his methods and some don't. Unfortunately there was a fire and everyone died.

• Upvote 1

Wait wait wait. Are you arguing semantics with me? Are you trying to gain the upper hand in our exchange because I called a 'track' a 'song'? I could have gone through all of your posts and pointed out the laughable grammar, sentence construction and punctuation in great detail. Here's a tip; don't criticise somebody else's word usage when your own is no better than that of a primary school kid. The irony is that, in your patronsiing statement 'the track your talking about is actually an instrumental, and not a "Song", you misspell the word 'you're'. Kind of makes a fud of your point, doesn't it?

Yes, the track is Godawful; poorly constructed, incredibly boring, wishy-washy and instantly forgettable. It meanders along for 9 minutes with little dynamic; it is coffee-shop music. However, hopefully you were trying to illustrate the quality of your recording, and not your songwriting. The recording, as mentioned, is quite impressive. Please put up an example of your work in a more indie/rock environment. Soundcloud's sound quality is decent enough for this purpose.

Wait wait wait. Are you arguing semantics with me? Are you trying to gain the upper hand in our exchange because I called a 'track' a 'song'? I could have gone through all of your posts and pointed out the laughable grammar, sentence construction and punctuation in great detail. Here's a tip; don't criticise somebody else's word usage when your own is no better than that of a primary school kid. The irony is that, in your patronsiing statement 'the track your talking about is actually an instrumental, and not a "Song", you misspell the word 'you're'. Kind of makes a fud of your point, doesn't it?

Yes, the track is Godawful; poorly constructed, incredibly boring, wishy-washy and instantly forgettable. It meanders along for 9 minutes with little dynamic; it is coffee-shop music. However, hopefully you were trying to illustrate the quality of your recording, and not your songwriting. The recording, as mentioned, is quite impressive. Please put up an example of your work in a more indie/rock environment. Soundcloud's sound quality is decent enough for this purpose.

So now your saying that the Aberdeen music scene is all about indie and rock bands? Why don't you just crawl back under the stone you came from you silly little boy!! I'd like to hear your material to see if it's any better? I doubt that very much!!