aberdeen-music

Ok, where should we record?

Hog

Toms, we recorded there last time. Paul did all he could within 4 hours. Guitars sounded fuzzy (probably the weakest part) but we were happy with the rest of the stuff considering we did 4 songs in 4 hours.

So, do we do this again but concentrate on quality, not quantity. Or do we approach MTA (Moorings sound guy)

I fucking love the Muse albums and although cant expect the quality of that lol with our budget I still want a decent recording because I really believe in our new song (Neonfluxicide).

Argh! Help please guys and girls, what ya think!?

Depends on your budget...Mark said it would be 700-800 for 3days doing about 3 songs did he not? I am sure that the quality would be out standing. If you are happy with Toms stuff you could have the option of spending more time there if money permits? I guess it depends how well you want this recorded...

I recommend Unity Recording Studio out near Forres. The studio is purpose-built, has an enclosed vocal booth, a baby grand piano, and the guy really knows what he's doing. Ask Simon Gall of, funnily enough, the Simon Gall Band. We recorded up there a couple of years ago. Costs around 25 an hour, but in the recording world you really do get what you pay for.

I Like the mill just out of banchory' date=' it can be uite costly but i know the guys there and they are all really friendly and helpful, Also they had pretty shit hot equipment last i saw.

Munky[/quote']

Man, before I was in the band, Element recorded an album (which was never released) at the Mill. Perhaps its different now but the kick drum sounded flat. With what we do, the kick drum has to sound clicky! Toms certainly got the drum sound right.

Man' date=' before I was in the band, Element recorded an album (which was never released) at the Mill. Perhaps its different now but the kick drum sounded flat. With what we do, the kick drum has to sound clicky! Toms certainly got the drum sound right.[/quote']

Well i think they upgraded quite recently,and i used to practice there all the time because i knew the guy in the houe next to it sohe just used to let (zander/mike) i like the sound you get from the room,

But yeah you do need to go for what suites your sound best, and it seem your quite set with toms.

Munky

Well i think they upgraded quite recently' date='and i used to practice there all the time because i knew the guy in the houe next to it sohe just used to let (zander/mike) i like the sound you get from the room,

But yeah you do need to go for what suites your sound best, and it seem your quite set with toms.

Munky[/quote']

Yeah man, I have checked out MMW stuff and the drum sound is ace, that was at the Mill so Im sure its different.

Actually, Id rather go with Mark (MTA).

One funny thing is that the drum sound at Toms was bang on but I recorded a way better guitar sound just plugging my effects pedal straight into my 4 track tape recorded lol. Horses for courses :cheers:

Yeah man' date=' I have checked out MMW stuff and the drum sound is ace, that was at the Mill so Im sure its different.

Actually, Id rather go with Mark (MTA).

One funny thing is that the drum sound at Toms was bang on but I recorded a way better guitar sound just plugging my effects pedal straight into my 4 track tape recorded lol. Horses for courses :cheers:[/quote']

Ha i loved using 4 tracks tho it made you feel like you reallyacomplished something when you made it sound good, but god speaking of 4 tracks there is so many tapes of my band that dont deserve to see the light of day.

And you should look into the mill cos as i say i like it because i like the sound you get from the concrete.

Munky

One funny thing is that the drum sound at Toms was bang on but I recorded a way better guitar sound just plugging my effects pedal straight into my 4 track tape recorded lol. Horses for courses :cheers:

why dont you use the studio for doing drums the same as before if your happy with that sound but record your guitar miked up with direct effect output into the desk at the same time (via splitter box)

and experiment with the mic position before recording it! :gringo:

you should get a better guitar sound that way

spend a bit more time setting up the sounds and on the mixing and it will def sound betterer

spend a bit more time setting up the sounds and on the mixing and it will def sound betterer

Like the man says. There is no magic wand to fix this. If it sounds bad to start with it'll still sound bad after. I reckon 90% of the problems I have mixing are down to the bands backline..

SISO.

Guest Gasss
with the money that a lot of Aberdeen studios seem to charge' date=' you'd probably be as well searching further afield (eg. Glasgow) and travelling down.[/quote']

You could try Substation in Rosyth, Chambers in Edinburgh, Cava and Chem 19 in Glasgow or ACR in Dunfermline.

• 2 months later...

NEW STUDIO - OCEANROCK STUDIOS at ABOYNE

Hi there! Check out our studio at www.oceanrockstudios.co.uk. We use Protools, Roland V-Drums, Line6, Rode etc. to get a sound identical to the top London Studios!! Rates are 24 pounds per hour and this includes all media. Also, this a studio where you will be fully involved in the mixing and mastering. This studio has been open for two years but the new website just went live last week. Any questions, ring 013398 87063 or 07732314366. or email nathan@oceanrockstudios.co.uk

Thanks

Nathan

Hi there! Check out our studio at www.oceanrockstudios.co.uk.

We use Protools' date='

"to get a sound identical to the top London Studios"

Nathan[/quote']

001 isnt really propper protools, What converters are you using to get the same quality as the London Studios? Hi resolution 24bit stuff??

Is that Yamaha Live desk your main studio desk and preamp, eq section?

What monitors/Amps do you use?

Any Neumann TLM103's AKG C12vr's, MD421's 414's KM84's etc?

Ok you missed out the Focusrite stuff on your site. But I still don't think the 001 I/O Is a very good interface to protools, Even the big protools converters don't sound very good. I have used most systems Including Protools rigs costing over 32k and I would still take Soundscape any day for all round use and sound quality. What converters are you using for the 24/96k?? And also could I have a full Mic list :D

Thanks

Mark,

You could try Substation in Rosyth' date=' Chambers in Edinburgh, Cava and Chem 19 in Glasgow or ACR in Dunfermline.[/quote']

One of the guys that works at Chem 19, Ross McGowan, has his own place - Attix Recording in Glasgow. We recorded our demo their last year, 250 for 10 hours, and the results were amazing! The guys a fucking legend, he really knows what he's doing. We spent the full 10 hours just recording the songs and then he took the material, mixed it for us, and then sent us out the demo. It sounds amazing! Definately worth checking out if you can arrange travel to Glasgow. IMO no-where in Aberdeen is really worth going to, fair enough if it's your first demo but if you wan't something really decent then your prob better off going further afield - Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee etc. That's just from my own experience.