aberdeen-music

A Hawk and A Hacksaw (Leaf label)+Incite - Friday 1st July

Interesting music are extremely proud & excited to be able to announce a fantastic last event b4 our holidays:-

A Hawk and A Hacksaw (New Mexico USA)

Incite (germany)

Friday 1st July

Peacock Visual Arts Gallery (Right)

The Castlegate

Aberdeen

Doors 8pm

Entry 5

Contact (01224)639539

A HAWK AND A HACKSAW (The Leaf Label)

From New Mexico, USA comes A HAWK AND A HACKSAW, a hugely entertaining and bewitching act who manages to meld traditional middle eastern with American folk and 21st Century atmospherics. Non-traditional world music for the digital age. This accordion wielding, mariachi loving, knob twiddling act is set to soundtrack this summer, when everyone is set to go GYPSY. A Hawk And A Hacksaw is an album recorded by Jeremy Barnes in Saumur, France, using a chicken, some geese, gongs, cats, a duck, spoons, pieces of tin and various melodic instruments. Its the result of sitting in the sun by the Loire reading Cervantes. Recalling Kurt Weill's orchestrations, Carl Stallings visionary cartoon soundtracks and Tom Waits more whimsical works, Mr Barnes creates a playfully gothic atmosphere with his multi-layered, frantic compositions. Mixing field recordings with accordion, piano and bursts of drunken choruses, he generates a singular and unnerving orchestral whole. A songs direction can hinge on a dogs bark or a phone ringing, while cacophony and sweet hymn-like harmonies cohabit in entertainingly unexpected passages. "I want to make music that tells a story without words, but I would like the story and images to be left to the listener. I have my own, inside my head, but they are not supposed to be on display." Influenced by everything from Eastern European folk music to Pierre Schaeffer to Spike Jones & his City Slickers, theres a healthy disregard for boundaries at play. A Hawk And A Hacksaw is a soundtrack for PT Barnum deceits and backwoods carnivals, top hats and curly moustaches, but maybe gone a little more screwy. What's more, everything you hear is live-to-tape. I don't really like effects, except for a little distortion here and there and maybe some tape echo... I much prefer natural, environmental sounds. They can actually be more bizarre than the effects on any audio program, if you pay attention to them. Mr Barnes may be best known as the drummer for Neutral Milk Hotel, a group whose two albums of distorted pop and homegrown orchestral balladry from 1995 and 1997 have had an immeasurable influence on the music scene of today. His next group, Bablicon, carried the idea of avant-garde percussion and improvisation to new amicable highs. He has also worked with Bright Eyes, Guignol, The Gerbils, and most recently, Broadcast. The strength of A Hawk And A Hacksaw lies in the incorporation of natural tones - birdsong, cat purrs, and patiently captured evidence of insect life - which inject the music with a bucolic sparkle -The Wire

www.brokenheartfoundation.org.uk/hawk/

INCITE (Germany)

As a co-operation of axiomatic integration and gradient communication Incite is an investigation in repetitive patterns and beats. While performing the commonly create sounds in abstract arrangements which oscilate from fragmented grooves to experimental soundscapes

www.incite.gradcom.org

Bring a cushion & bring a friend, this is going to be a very special night

Promise

this sounds too good to be true. a hawk and a hacksaw are very very good' date=' let alone the fact that barnes was in nmh and the gerbils. and played on 'letting off the happiness.'

jesus[/quote']

and its in another unique space in town... the stars are beginning to aline over Aberdeen as prophesised in the book of wullie... :D

But they will only truly aline when Aberdeen has a listings magazine and allows (responsible of course) flyposting. Any of these part of your remit min?

Working on the listings thing with various but as far as the fly posting... we should find out the address of a councillor or two and when they are out flypost the entire house! Not using our own posters of course.

J

(do you have a contact for 65 days?) pm me if you do. Passing it on

INCITE (Germany)

As a co-operation of axiomatic integration and gradient communication Incite is an investigation in repetitive patterns and beats. While performing the commonly create sounds in abstract arrangements which oscilate from fragmented grooves to experimental soundscapes

what the fuck does that bollox mean ?

come on, that crap is taking the piss surely

i hope you copied & pasted that

what the fuck does that bollox mean ?

come on' date=' that crap is taking the piss surely

i hope you copied & pasted that[/quote']

hey success, somebody has read the blurb & commented..........

if you click here

www.incite.gradcom.org/infotext_incite.html

it will give you what you want

basically minimalist loop electrionica which will be a wonderful foil

for AHAH

as long as it doesn't run over - it should be fine. i do wish it didn't cost so much though. ive seen similar shows in the usa for 2/3 dollars.

with all the logistics ie pa hire, tecnician hire, artist fees & food etc ,we need to charge this & fingers crossed we get a very decent turn out, otherwise we sustain another loss bringing you artists that wouldn't normally come up here.

this sounds too good to be true. a hawk and a hacksaw are very very good' date=' let alone the fact that barnes was in nmh and the gerbils. and played on 'letting off the happiness.'

jesus[/quote']

jesus is booked another night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is going to be a spectaclar event in a different space which if successful will be the catylist for other other events in the second half of the year.

support independent promoters who make a difference to live events

come along your support is needed to sustain creativity

as long as it doesn't run over - it should be fine. i do wish it didn't cost so much though. ive seen similar shows in the usa for 2/3 dollars.

yeah, but let's face it - IT'S A FIVER!!!!!!

you can't even get two pints for that price.

if you want the price to drop then you should encourage people to attend the gigs.