aberdeen-music

Download The Needles

misterdale

A quick note on behalf of The Needles,

just a little note to let you know that for the next 3 weeks, The Needles have two previously unreleased tracks available to download at

www.karmadownloads.com

When you get to the home page, click on Rock/Alternative then Discovered competition. That will bring you to the right place.

Each download that they receive counts toward their chart position and at the end of the 3 weeks the top three bands will win slots at a heap of festivals

- what fun. The downloads cost 89p each but you get to keep them for ever and ever and your support is most appreciated.

remember "The Needles fan is the wise man..." - Dave Dixon

Guest Main Agent

mercenary?

So, most artists that post their songs here give them away free, like for the masses, but the Needles are charging punters to support them to help them to get gigs that they will charge punters more money to go to,

Dont bands get gigs on merit?

I thought the Needles were cool....

I don't agree with this either.

Gigs should be awarded on merit, not by how many folk can afford 89p to download a track.

The Needles should be getting offered these gigs without them or their fans having to jump through hoops or spend hard - earned cash.

I'm looking on dissaprovingly.

Guest Gasss
So' date=' most artists that post their songs here give them away free, like for the masses

I [i']thought the Needles were cool....

I don't quite understand the logic behind this. The Needles are a professional band and have a right to make money from their work. I would have thought that people here would support alternative distribution models for music (given the amount of non-specific industry bashing that goes on here) as they can potentially benefit both artist and listener.

Indeed, and the point about the songs being less value for money because they're SHORTER?

You want they should repeat the verse/chrus/verse/chorus again? Just play the goddam song again. I just don't get this point at all.

Bands have a right to make money from their songs - gigs at festivals are not awarded on merit - you think the headliners get slots because they're good? They get them because they SELL LOADS OF RECORDS. That's the way it is.

Guest Main Agent
I don't quite understand the logic behind this. The Needles are a professional band and have a right to make money from their work. I would have thought that people here would support alternative distribution models for music (given the amount of non-specific industry bashing that goes on here) as they can potentially benefit both artist and listener.

Good point, with that in mind perhaps their promoter could approach the webmaster to purchase some advertising space, benefiting both the band and the website, or alternatively, post this ad in the classified forum.

I don't quite understand the logic behind this. The Needles are a professional band and have a right to make money from their work.

Are they getting any of the cash though. I doubt it.

It seems a cheap, money-making scam and I have to wonder how many of the festival slots will vanish after the loot is collected. "I'm very sorry but it's out of our hands, the promoters booked another act, there's nothing we can do.".

Are they getting any of the cash though. I doubt it.

It seems a cheap' date=' money-making scam and I have to wonder how many of the festival slots will vanish after the loot is collected. "I'm very sorry but it's out of our hands, the promoters booked another act, there's nothing we can do.".[/quote']

Actually, as far as I know all the bands get half the money from download sales on the site.

Fair enough it's not an ideal way to get on a festival bill, and in an ideal world these things would be decided by some wise arbiters of merit. It so happens that festivals are commercial enterprises, and the organisers will tend to want to put on acts that people perceive to have merit and thus part with cash in order to see/hear. This doesn't seem like a totally unreasonable way of deciding amongst a number of acts who haven't had proper national releases (do you often get bands playing at festivals who have released records but sold fuck all?). You don't have to pay to listen to it first. After all, this IS only 89p per track we're talking about- surely anyone who can afford to use the internet can afford that?

After all' date=' this IS only 89p per track we're talking about- surely anyone who can afford to use the internet can afford that?[/quote']

Except people who use it at work, school, college or flatmates/partners/parents pay for it.

Apart from them you're absolutely right.

At least the bands will benefit from some of the cash so it's not as shitty a deal as I thought

Actually' date=' as far as I know all the bands get half the money from download sales on the site.

Fair enough it's not an ideal way to get on a festival bill, and in an ideal world these things would be decided by some wise arbiters of merit. It so happens that festivals are commercial enterprises, and the organisers will tend to want to put on acts that people perceive to have merit and thus part with cash in order to see/hear. This doesn't seem like a totally unreasonable way of deciding amongst a number of acts who haven't had proper national releases (do you often get bands playing at festivals who have released records but sold fuck all?). You don't have to pay to listen to it first. After all, this IS only 89p per track we're talking about- surely anyone who can afford to use the internet can afford that?[/quote']

Surely we could. But are they really going to set up a direct debit for the sake of 89p for those who pay for their internet the same way?

Surely we could. But are they really going to set up a direct debit for the sake of 89p for those who pay for their internet the same way?

No one has to set up a direct debit or anything like that- you can pay for downloads in the same way you can pay for anything on the internet- with a card the same way you would buy something off of Amazon or, for added security and convenience, paypal (all you need for that is a bank account and an email address- not difficult at all). All that's involved is typing in a couple of numbers on a keyboard- other than that it's no different from using your card rather than cash to buy something in a shop.

My point was that I can't think of many adults whose life is such that they in a position to be able to use the internet who don't possess a bank card and 89p of disposable income. And for children and others who don't, isn't their situation no worse here than it is for ordering anything that can't be paid for person to person with cash?

My point was that I can't think of many adults whose life is such that they in a position to be able to use the internet who don't possess a bank card and 89p of disposable income.

Me, I have the disposable income but no way of transferring 89p to anyone else without asking the bank nicely (and being charged not nicely).

No one has to set up a direct debit or anything like that- you can pay for downloads in the same way you can pay for anything on the internet- with a card the same way you would buy something off of Amazon or' date=' for added security and convenience, paypal (all you need for that is a bank account and an email address- not difficult at all). All that's involved is typing in a couple of numbers on a keyboard- other than that it's no different from using your card rather than cash to buy something in a shop.

My point was that I can't think of many adults whose life is such that they in a position to be able to use the internet who don't possess a bank card and 89p of disposable income. And for children and others who don't, isn't their situation no worse here than it is for ordering anything that can't be paid for person to person with cash?[/quote']

Well that's kinda funny cos i have a bank card, but can't get a paypal account as it is not a debit/credit card and I don't use a card to pay for things either. So I guess that counts me out

Indeed' date=' and the point about the songs being less value for money because they're SHORTER?

You want they should repeat the verse/chrus/verse/chorus again? Just play the goddam song again. I just don't get this point at all.[/quote']

It was only a joke lad.

If there were money in my Paypal account just now I'd probably purchase them but alas there is not. I did however get a very nice jar of pasta sauce today and so supper in silence it is.

Spiffing.

Well that's kinda funny cos i have a bank card' date=' but can't get a paypal account as it is not a debit/credit card and I don't use a card to pay for things either. So I guess that counts me out[/quote']

So that's two people in the situation that Project S.A.M. can't envisage in modern society.

So that's two people in the situation that Project S.A.M. can't envisage in modern society.

Fair dos to you both- I guess I over simplified a little, and I was under the (obviously false) impression that receiving a debit card went with having a normal bank account these days.

I can indeed envisage people in modern society without debit cards- I know a few people with cash line cards who declined the offer of a regular debit card for whatever reason. I have also known such people to buy things off of the internet when they want them enough by asking a close friend, partner or ubermensch with a usable card nicely and giving them the cash. In modern society people are often obliging like that, and inconvenience is never a bar when a thing is sufficiently desired.

I see it's not as easy and convenient as I thought for everyone, though. Not sure about being charged for an 89p transfer- I don't find that happens with small purchases, but my knowledge and experience of banks is limited and I'm not about to start prying into anyone's financial affairs... I also forgot to mention that the site adds on 30p handling charge per transfer. Cheeky!

Anyway, I've got a bit lost as to what the objection is- is it to the concept of buying an mp3 itself, or that it's a bit inconvenient for some people to pay for it? Do you guys object to all internet sites that sell exclusive content?

Anyway' date=' I've got a bit lost as to what the objection is- is it to the concept of buying an mp3 itself, or that it's a bit inconvenient for some people to pay for it? Do you guys object to all internet sites that sell exclusive content?[/quote']

My objection to this particular "competition" is the fact that there's no way I can listen to all 21 bands and make a decision based on their merits (since I've only heard one of the 21) without shelling out some cash first.

Most money spent by fans/band=winners. Nothing to do with talent.

My objection to this particular "competition" is the fact that there's no way I can listen to all 21 bands and make a decision based on their merits (since I've only heard one of the 21) without shelling out some cash first.

Most money spent by fans/band=winners. Nothing to do with talent.

You can listen to streaming 30 second segments of each track for free. Okay, not much to develp a fully informed view on each band with, but the situation isn't exactly like you describe.