aberdeen-music

REM last night

Marsh

For those that care or are seeing them at Loch Lomond -

Top class gig.

REM are back on form. I wish I was going to Loch Lomond as well now.

Stipey was in great spirits and got a couple of extra songs added to the setlist as they were having such a "fucking great time." Pete and Mike were in great form too. They are joined onstage by a great drummer and two other guys who swap between guitar, keyboards and bass (when mike is playing piano.) They were brilliant and were running from one side of the stage to another to swap instruments - The songs were rattled off then straight into another. Brilliant.

The setlist was like a greatest hits set sprinkled with some tracks from the new album (which sounded fantastic live)

Some songs they played (which I remember, but you'll get an idea)

I Took Your Name

What's The Frequency, Kenneth

Animal

Everybody Hurts

Drive (proper "album version")

Electrolite

The One I Love

I'll Take The Rain

High Speed Train

Leaving New York

Losing My Religion

The Great Beyond

Stand

Imitation of Life

Electron Blue

Orange Crush

Bad Day

New song (something about a DJ - quite rocky and upbeat)

Man On the Moon

There were more (they played for over 2 hours) but that's what I remember off the top of my head.

Great to see REM back and not being "difficult" with their audience or anything and just getting on with playing the hits. Those going to Loch Lomond are in for a treat.

Oh, and the t - shirts have dates on the back and are pretty cool.

What about the supports? Did you see them?

One support - Richard Hawley. Ex - Pulp guitarist. Worst band i've seen in a long, long time, I tell thee. Sounded like a crooning 50's type singer with no tunes or direction. Bass player played a double bass on some "songs" but that wasn't enough to save them!

Stipey made everyone put their hands up them applaude him! I dinnae think so!

I Took Your Name

What's The Frequency' date=' Kenneth

Animal

Everybody Hurts

Drive (proper "album version")

Electrolite

The One I Love

I'll Take The Rain -[b'] No, it was "So. Central Rain."

High Speed Train

Leaving New York

Losing My Religion

The Great Beyond

Stand - That never played.

Imitation of Life

Electron Blue

Orange Crush

Bad Day

New song (something about a DJ - quite rocky and upbeat) - It's called "I want to DJ."

Man On the Moon

They also played -

Country Feedback

Me in honey

The Outsiders

Walk unafraid

The Outsiders

I've been high

Spot on though - They were up for a show, and that's what we got, regardless of Glasgow's attempt to wash us out. [At least the minks present, you know who you are, recieved their annual bath early]

Spot on though - They were up for a show' date=' and that's what we got, regardless of Glasgow's attempt to wash us out. [At least the minks present, you know who you are, recieved their annual bath early']

Cheers for sorting that out, dude. Like I said, bit hazy about them all, there were so many - but that clears it up!

Yeah, those ned minks get everywhere don't they! Did you find it amusing as well when the "GLASGOW" appeared on the big screen and got the biggest cheer of the night! Me and my mate just turned to each other and shook our heads!

So what was the sound like at this gig?

Could you hear all the errr...what are they called again...guitar lines is it? Were they clear?

Aye, the rifts were pretty clear, like!

I photocopied the ticket before I left as well, just in case they took the whole ticket instead of just tearing off the stub...........

Aye' date=' the rifts were pretty clear, like!

I photocopied the ticket before I left as well, just in case they took the whole ticket instead of just tearing off the stub...........[/quote']

cant beat a good rift, especially the ones that smell of oranges.

heh, i used to photocopy tickets when i was young for the same reason.i lost most of them in the great fire of '78(my mum binned the box they were in by accident).

cant beat a good rift' date=' especially the ones that smell of oranges.

heh, i used to photocopy tickets when i was young for the same reason.i lost most of them in the great fire of '78(my mum binned the box they were in by accident).[/quote']

sadly, i got some photo albums the other week & now have 17 years worth of gig tickets in them.

My favourite rift is this one - http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/world/A0821681.html

Well, unsurprisingly I went. What a piss poor setlist. I'd built myself up to them play good song after good song once they'd stopped playing the crap off the last two albums, they played Orange Crush (brilliant), then started playing shite off the last two albums again (admittedly interspersed with the odd great song).

Someone really needs to tell them their last two albums were balls.

That setlist posted earlier practically made the decision I was going for me. Wish I'd gone to the Green now.

i thought it was brilliant. I thought the sonds off the last too albums were good - and you can't blame them for playing them. Wish they'd played 'shiny happy people' though.

Aberfeldy - boring

Ambulance LTD - i likw them, but the sound system wasn't right..ballance sounded out??!!

The Zutons - Brilliant, great performance

Feeder - loverly stuff :)

REM - great show.

Only bad thing was the volume - not loud enough.

i thought aberfeldy were good, ambulance ltd were a bit boring to me, the zutons were alright, nay really my thing and Feeder were good but it's a shame they didn't get a longer set. I thought REM were fantastic! The new stuff was sounding good as were the older songs :) 'Man on the moon' and 'The Great Beyond' were highlights for moi :)

The Balloch gig was an interesting one. Started of with Aberfeldy. Dull uninspiring twee bed wetting indie. Their first song was about a vegitarian resturaunt, and they also had a song about 'Wiers Way'. I hope I never see this band ever again.

Ambulance Ltd. started off like they were going to be exciting, but every song was like an extended intro. Really boring would be a good summing up of this band, and if the crowd response was anything to go by then they all were thinking the same too.

Next on stage came the Zutons, but for me, next came a overpriced 'meal'. I have never been a fan of the Zutons, and I'm still not, BUT they were the best support of the day by a mile. They played all their crowd pleasers, and even a cover of AC/DC back in black! By the end of their set the crowd was eating out of their hand, and everyone had a big smile on their face.

Feeder were up next. Feeder used to be a band I really enjoyed around the Polythene album, but now they are a changed band. Grant looked out of his element in front of the R.E.M. crowd, and the response from said crowd was subdued compared to what the Zutons had previously got. Their set was mainly drawn from recent bore-a-thons, and it was not until Buck Rodgers that the crowd came alive. Unfortunatly there was only one song after that, and the sight of Grant struggling to comprehend how a Scottish flag works, for entertainment. Worst of all they only played 40 mins instead of the scheduled 1 hour.

R.E.M. burst onto the stage with 'I took your name' and played a solid two hour set of greatest hits, and tracks from the admittidly dissapointing recent album. Having said that I thought some of the more recent tracks were quite strong when they played them, and they even played '...Kenneth' and 'Star 69' off of my fave R.E.M. album, Monster. A good mix of hits from a very strong back catalogue, and a return to form for Stipey, who bounded onto stage looking like a camp superhero sidekick, with dapper suit and blue mask style face paint. THe only low points were a preachy G8 speech before a protest song, and a high number of backpacks in the audience. (Why?)

All in all well worth the trip down, and an improvement from when I saw them at Stirling Castle. (Also bonus points for the touring guitar player, who was wearing a vintage Rocket From the Crypt Bowling shirt!)