aberdeen-music

Pro Tools LE

Tav

I just recently aquired Pro Tools LE + MBox and I was wondering if anyone else on the forums is using Pro Tools. My purchases have only got as far as the software/hardware. I am going to be looking for programs for creating drum tracks (so any recomendations are welcome) and an external USB2.0 HD (again an recomendations welcome)

If anyone does have Pro Tools LE, what is your set up? Do you have any "must have" pieces of equipment etc?

hmm, used protools LE on windows about 4 years ago and it was rough as a dog, really not very stable. however i'm sure things have got a lot better, and that was also at a time when i didn't know how to use a proper DAW, so there you go. pro tools seemingly works best with (a) digidesign hardware and (b) macs.

as far as must have pieces of equipment, do you mean in the context of home recording? the list is endless really, but will be motivated most likely by the type of music you are writing. for me, my line6 pod pro is essential - although i can do similar with the amplitube VST plugin, the tactile nature of a hardware unit is an underestimated factor. the rest can usually be done in software, for example drum machines, synths, soundfonts, etc. not sure about drum machines on windows, fruityloops started out that way i think.. reason has a drum sequencer too that you can use. if all else fails there's always MIDI :)

Guest lime ruined my life

try battery, for programming drums. version 2's out now.

i like kontakt for a sampler.

both made by ni.

try waves diamond package for tools, eq/compression etcetera. miles better than anything else about.

I just recently aquired Pro Tools LE + MBox and I was wondering if anyone else on the forums is using Pro Tools. My purchases have only got as far as the software/hardware. I am going to be looking for programs for creating drum tracks (so any recomendations are welcome) and an external USB2.0 HD (again an recomendations welcome)

If anyone does have Pro Tools LE' date=' what is your set up? Do you have any "must have" pieces of equipment etc?[/quote']

If you just want to make loops from samples then I'd recommend Sony Acid Pro, which is what i use for my hobby

I'm not using ProTools, but can offer some info..

The problem with ProTools LE is that it still attracts ProTools plugin prices. The great attraction of ProTools is the excellent quality of the plugins. Admittedly the best of the best are TDM, but most have been converted to RTAS and with a decent machine should still run reasonably well.

Forget the Waves plugins, they are very expensive and not good value anymore, things have moved on since.

Instead if you need good quality comps etc look at http://www.elementalaudio.com/products/index.html

While your there grab the free Inspector plugin.

Also check out the high quality plugins from http://www.sonalksis.com

If you are working with vocals you will probably need to look at AutoTune - pretty much the product that made ProTools mainstream..

You don't mention how you intend to create your drum tracks or for what style of music, but many consider BFD to be far better than Battery:

http://www.fxpansion.com/product-bfd-main.php

You probably also want to check out FXpansions VST to RTAS wrapper, very handy.

You don't mention how you intend to create your drum tracks or for what style of music' date=' but many consider BFD to be far better than Battery:

[url']http://www.fxpansion.com/product-bfd-main.php

You probably also want to check out FXpansions VST to RTAS wrapper, very handy.

For drum tracks I don't want to be limited to using loops/cutting up loops. I would like be able to program original drum beats so that I can recreate the drums in withinthesewalls songs. So the style of music would be live band sounds. I guess I could do this within the drum program if it allowed or by using midi i.e. keyboard?

Whilst I've got everyones attention I have been considering getting a "good" microphone for recording. First thoughts were of an SM57. I'd be looking to recording amplified guitar/bass, acoustic guitar and perhaps vocals. It would appear that this has all those bases covered to a greater or lesser degree. Thoughts? Dynamic or condensors? Better options?

For drum tracks I don't want to be limited to using loops/cutting up loops. I would like be able to program original drum beats so that I can recreate the drums in withinthesewalls songs. So the style of music would be live band sounds. I guess I could do this within the drum program if it allowed or by using midi i.e. keyboard?

In that case BFD will be exactly what you need... real drums trying to sound real..

Whilst I've got everyones attention I have been considering getting a "good" microphone for recording. First thoughts were of an SM57. I'd be looking to recording amplified guitar/bass' date=' acoustic guitar and perhaps vocals. It would appear that this has all those bases covered to a greater or lesser degree. Thoughts? Dynamic or condensors? Better options?[/quote']

Have a look at the AKG C1000 or a Rode NT1

SM57 is better for live sound than recording..

I have been looking at the Rode NT1 as well. I am just trying to cover alot of bases with one mic <i.e. being cheap!>

Dynamic mics are cheaper but they don't cover a lot of bases. You should get more clarity and depth from a condenser, as well as more versatility. Large diaphragms tend to be better as well. Not the cheapest option but you won't need another one.

Guest lime ruined my life

load battery into protools. load samples into battery. program beats. and then if you feel like it, render, and use as loops.

waves diamond package exsists free online, albiet illegally.