aberdeen-music

live perfomances

Stripey

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Page 99

Live performance adds a depth to the music which to most musicians and music listeners feel is missing in recorded version. Plus, it's also good fun to play live and, it can often leave a bigger impression upon the people whom hear the music, as there is no studio trickery present, just the talent (or lack of) of the artists.

What is the point in performing music live' date=' when it is much easier for everyone concerned to simply listen to a recording?[/quote']

I think you spotted the point there yourself. Simply listening to a recording is not getting the live vibe, you know how it's going to sound, there's no room for improvisation and most of your mates won't come round your house just cos you're playing someone elses records (although they'd be quite happy to spend 10+ to see someone else play someone elses records).

1) it's shit loads of fun to play live' date=' and you get a great buzz from doing it (or at least I do)

2) the atmosphere at a live gig is like nothing else!

3) it's a good way to promote your recordings

:D[/quote']

The moon wins over most gigs I've seen.

WAS a good way, not is!

The moon wins over most gigs I've seen.

WAS a good way' date=' not is![/quote']

2) you are obviously not a music enthusiast, or are very hard to please

3) depends on context: relatively unknown local bands can't just make a music video and post it off to kerrang or mtv. the best way to get noticed is to put about a bad ass live act. but yes, I can see your point that recently signed bands could promote their music in more effective ways.

2) you are obviously not a music enthusiast' date=' or are very hard to please

3) depends on context: relatively unknown local bands can't just make a music video and post it off to kerrang or mtv. the best way to get noticed is to put about a bad ass live act. but yes, I can see your point that recently signed bands could promote their music in more effective ways.[/quote']

Excuse my cynicism. I've been a live engineer for more years than Frosty Jack cares to remember (that should just about cover everyone who's done sound before last Thursday but you get my drift).

What is the point in performing music live' date=' when it is much easier for everyone concerned to simply listen to a recording?[/quote']

some possible reasons -

• not all bands have recorded Cds
  • its cheaper to see three bands for a fiver than buying all their CDs
  • its a social event
  • some bands sound amazing live, and much better than on CD / MP3
  • its easy to have a short attention span listening to MP3s, webradio, CDs etc - gigs force you to listen unless some loud mouth at the bar keeps chatting

I saw a quote by 'Blind Willy lemon Joe Jones' (inventor of the rocking chair porch blues) that said almost exactly the same thing as above. This was 1902 though and recording was a little on the thin side therefore all music, t'was decided, should infact be about the live experience first...

But not long after that some folks got rather inward looking and shallow and decided to become miserable buggers and stayed in doors (best place for em) and only listen to their expensive hard wax disks!

Isn't this a bit like "Why bother going out and trying to meet a lovely young lady to take to dinner and beyond when you could stay at home and have a wank and a microwave macaroni cheese for one?". The extra effort put in, the social aspect and, unless you're really unlucky or have dodgy taste like some of the Exo lot, then the result tends to be well worth it in the end :D

I love listening to recorded music but live music consistently gets the hairs standing up on the back of my neck more than a CD, mp3 or vinyl playing...

Is this guy for real? What a stupid thread.

is this guy for real? what a stupid answer.

why's it a stupid thread? is it a stupid thread just cause you don't agree with what gridlock said? at least try and justify yourself when you call threads stupid.

maybe the guy was just trying to get a discussion going about the virtues of recorded material over the live experience? did you think about that? huh, did you? DID YOU???

is this guy for real? what a stupid answer.

why's it a stupid thread? is it a stupid thread just cause you don't agree with what gridlock said? at least try and justify yourself when you call threads stupid.

maybe the guy was just trying to get a discussion going about the virtues of recorded material over the live experience? did you think about that? huh' date=' did you? DID YOU???[/quote']

What a stupid thread!

:p:laughing:

i agree with Doc' date=' what a silly thread. what would the world be without live performances. if you ask most bands their favourite part of being in a band, the answer will be touring and playin live[/quote']

The best bit about being in a band is inviting girls back to your flat to listen to your recorded material (apparently)

i agree with Doc' date=' what a silly thread. what would the world be without live performances. if you ask most bands their favourite part of being in a band, the answer will be touring and playin live[/quote']

What's silly about it? To use an analogy, you are all quite happy to go and see starwars in the cinema, without expecting to see it all re-enacted live infront of you. Someone mentioned "studio trickery", well, what would starwars be like without the studio trickery? Doesn't recording, wether it's film or music, give the artist creative opportunities beyond what is possible in a live performance?

What's silly about it? To use an analogy' date=' you are all quite happy to go and see starwars in the cinema, without expecting to see it all re-enacted live infront of you. Someone mentioned "studio trickery", well, what would starwars be like without the studio trickery? Doesn't recording, wether it's film or music, give the artist creative opportunities beyond what is possible in a live performance?[/quote']

Not these days... Technology and all that... Both aspects are great! I'm like a pig in shit in the studio, for an hour or two anyways... Then I want to go to the cinema.

:D

Guest AmbientMood
Doesn't recording' date=' wether it's film or music, give the artist creative opportunities beyond what is possible in a live performance?[/quote']

This is my perspective.

I play once a week at an internet cafe and the music we play is, more or less, improvised. There are certain sections that are musically tight and constant, but on the whole, our set is unique every time we play. Recording would merely catch another version of this, yet without the drinks, chat and visuals (an hour and a half of musical wankery would also get dull).

As for recording, I love to be able to chuck in as many instruments as possible and overdub until I have some form of perfection, though most of my stuff features impro at some point. I think these would be difficult and somewhat pointless to re-create live:

www.soundclick.com/plasticshit