aberdeen-music

Anyone notice anything strange about your Amp last night...

Very very odd thing happened....

At around 8pm last night Gregor was playing through my Half Stack, when he heard something odd coming through the speakers... he turned the volume on his guitar off and turned up the amp - and could hear a Radio Station!!!

Not just any station though, after listening a while they mentioned www.familyradio.com, a really weird Christian station... now this happened on both channels, Distortion and Clean, but you had to turn the Clean right up to hear it.... I also managed to get a "cleaner" sound by twiddling the EQ knobs haha...

From the site it seems they broadcast internationally via sateliite, so the only thing I can guess is that the satellite was roughly above the area at the time? It wasn't the pickups on the guitar though as the volume was down on the guitar!

I also had his Marshall combo upstairs, and it came through on that aswell!! Freaky!

It was a bit scary to hear a very deep, booming and solemn voice speaking about Judgement Day, it was like something out of Max Payne and War of the Worlds, haha freaky shit....

I don't suppose this happened to anyone else in the area at all? I've tried it again this morning and there's nothing now, which makes me think something to do with satellite positioning again??

Very very odd thing happened....

At around 8pm last night Gregor was playing through my Half Stack' date=' when he heard something odd coming through the speakers... he turned the volume on his guitar off and turned up the amp - and could hear a Radio Station!!!

Not just any station though, after listening a while they mentioned [url']www.familyradio.com, a really weird Christian station... now this happened on both channels, Distortion and Clean, but you had to turn the Clean right up to hear it.... I also managed to get a "cleaner" sound by twiddling the EQ knobs haha...

From the site it seems they broadcast internationally via sateliite, so the only thing I can guess is that the satellite was roughly above the area at the time? It wasn't the pickups on the guitar though as the volume was down on the guitar!

I also had his Marshall combo upstairs, and it came through on that aswell!! Freaky!

It was a bit scary to hear a very deep, booming and solemn voice speaking about Judgement Day, it was like something out of Max Payne and War of the Worlds, haha freaky shit....

I don't suppose this happened to anyone else in the area at all? I've tried it again this morning and there's nothing now, which makes me think something to do with satellite positioning again??

dont wet yourself. it happens all the time.

fully common.

Nah, just bad shielding, I imagine all satellites are digi anyway, much more data for your money and more resistant to atmospheric factors.

Radio moscow (that's what we figured it was) used to be famous in my day, I had an H+H amp and the gentle strains of balalika music filled many a mid-rehearsal break.

Do you mean that a Digital satellite couldn't do this? Because the radio station is based in the US and only transmits analogue signals over there, the only signal they sent outside the US is via Satellite, according the their site!!

Really weird though, which part of the amp picks up the signal? I'm assuming the power amp maybe?

Do you mean that a Digital satellite couldn't do this? Because the radio station is based in the US and only transmits analogue signals over there' date=' the only signal they sent outside the US is via Satellite, according the their site!!

Really weird though, which part of the amp picks up the signal? I'm assuming the power amp maybe?[/quote']

The satellite company would turn it into digital, then back again when it's reached it's destination for transmission as analogue to the public. Unless it's a steam powered satellite :D

You may be hearing the American broadcast, if atmospheric conditions are right the signal could bounce off the atmosphere and into your amp.

I've no idea what component could be picking it up, Ijust know it's an RF shielding problem. Could be a lead or guitar picking it up as well, something before or in the pre-amp since it reacts to that pot.

Be prepared for the occasional taxi-driver too.

i have managed to pick up german radio a couple of times, i think its usually a combination of poor shielding somewhere in the system, and high gain devices like fuzz pedals can help contribute

part of it depends on the atmospheric conditions too, as the weather can affect how well the radio waves travel, so in certain conditions you can get signals from pretty far away

somehow the few times i have managed it at home i have always seemed to pick up german talk radio...

if the signal was digital, your amp wouldnt be able to convert it back into speech, normal radio (am at least, cant say for sure about fm) can get picked up and amplified via guitar amps, so it would have to be from an analouge transmitter somewhere

David

Guest Neubeatz

Radio moscow (that's what we figured it was) used to be famous in my day' date=' [/quote']

As a schoolboy during the cold war, I built a shortwave radio from a kit, guess what my favourite station was? :)

It doesn't even have to be an amp' date=' just the coils in your speaker can do this (albeit very weakly). I thought I was hearing voices until i figured it out and quit sleeping in the same room as my rig.[/quote']

Psychiatrist for this man please. There is no way a random radio signal will move a coil of a speaker without amplification, far too heavy. If the transmitter was near your house (i.e. slap bang next door) I might believe you but otherwise.. :nono:

Did you try making the cab sleep in another room (which seems a much more sensible idea to start with anyway, why should it have all the comfort)?

Guest DustyDeviada

Happens a lot on my amp, tends to be in the evening. I always thought it was something to do with the valves but not so sure having read other people's experiences in this thread.