aberdeen-music

cover bands

julia

really you shouldnt have any problems getting a gig as a covers band, don't let that put you off... it's just that you can't really take the band that far when you play covers... sooner or later you have to decide - do you want to play covers once a month in Aberdeen or play your own stuff...

I don't really get Professional cover bands, like Hi-On Maiden, etc - there's going to be a time where you just have to let your own stuff out there...

Ironically I was in a Maiden covers band but we were only on the go maybe 1 1/2, 2 years before we decided weve done pretty much all you can with covers and I'm now in an band playing me and my brothers own stuff, its way better.

drummonds as well' date=' cover bands play everywhere really.[/quote']

Drummonds try to avoid cover bands but don't mind tribute acts. The Lemon Tree seem to do pretty much the same (remember not all gigs at the lemon tree are lemon tree gigs).

I can't see the tunnels going for covers either. Drakes probably didn't. Moshulu I wouldn't think so. The moorings have seen the light. Kef would only do tributes as well.

Did I miss any venue that supplies PA and engineer?

well things must have changed alot since I was playing...

We played Kef 3 times I think, and Drakes once, and The Lemon Tree, I don't think we played Moshulu but I can't really remember it was a while ago!

Infact The Lemon Tree gig was really good, the sound guy was a Maiden fan himself and played the intro music for "Rock in RIo" for us and did an awesome job of the lighting...

What do you define as the difference between a "Tribute" band and a "Covers" band? Do you mean that one sticks to covers of one band only, where the other plays covers by lots of bands like a kinof pub band?

If so then we were a Tribute Band by that definition, I should have made that clear...

well things must have changed alot since I was playing...

We played Kef 3 times I think' date=' and Drakes once, and The Lemon Tree, I don't think we played Moshulu but I can't really remember it was a while ago!

Infact The Lemon Tree gig was really good, the sound guy was a Maiden fan himself and played the intro music for "Rock in RIo" for us and did an awesome job of the lighting...

What do you define as the difference between a "Tribute" band and a "Covers" band? Do you mean that one sticks to covers of one band only, where the other plays covers by lots of bands like a kinof pub band?

If so then we were a Tribute Band by that definition, I should have made that clear...[/quote']

That is indeed the difference, tribute acts generally have a gentle twist on the bands name/song as well, just so you know what you're getting.

Oh i was treating covers bands and tribute bands as the same thing as well. I've seen the billy shears at drummonds a few times and the clashed as well, but you're right no bands doing covers by different bands.

Hedgehog pie played the forum recently though and and they are a covers band so the forum counts.

Oh i was treating covers bands and tribute bands as the same thing as well. I've seen the billy shears at drummonds a few times and the clashed as well' date=' but you're right no bands doing covers by different bands.

Hedgehog pie played the forum recently though and and they are a covers band so the forum counts.[/quote']

Does it count on the and engineer part? If it does I'll let you have that one.

so i'll re-answer the question originally posed:

If you are a Tribute act to one particular band, you will most likely get gigs no problem.

If, however, you are a covers band (pub-style band) then no, you will most likely not get many gigs at the popular venues, stick with the pubs.

Hope that clears everything up since we kinda mushed all together...