aberdeen-music

Coldplay - X & Y

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also i blame the popularity of coldplay for the likes of keane' date=' maroon 5, athlete and all those other dull fuckers on the mainstream circuit at the moment. the hype surrounding the new album is ridiculous, still thats the norm these days. but fast sales dont mean much - i mean remember 'be here now' ????

the rokysopp remix of clocks is pretty neat mind.[/quote']

I don't think it's fair to give on band the blame for lots of other shit bands. And i don't think there is anything wrong with the amount of hype around X & Y, when you consider their popularity and the number of people anticipating it. And I'd blame Jamiroquai (sp?) for the likes of Maroon 5. They certainly aren't remotely like Coldplay.

I reckon 'X&Y' is fucking awesome. Fair enough I can understand why Coldplay isn't to everyone's tastes, but if you enjoy that sort of music then the new album is incredible.

Definitely a stage on from the likes of the jangly 'Shiver' on 'Parachutes', and the one criticism I have is that Jonny Buckland is just going through his 'how to sound like The Edge' handbook on most tracks, but this album is clearly a big play for the stadium sound. Its a shame because it means we don't get tunes like 'Shiver' or 'We Never Change' anymore, but instead there's things like 'Fix You' (going to be absolutely massive, mark my words), 'White Shadows' and hidden track 'Til Kingdom Come'. There's not much evolution in terms of their overall sound, just more synths and pianos, and an even more expansive production, again making them sound like U2.

If you hate Coldplay, as I can see many people here do, don't listen to the new album, and turn off your radio/tv when it comes on. If you like indie, get 'X&Y' because it's definitely their best yet and when all's said and done, its superb songwriting.

Mike

i think the 'i hate coldplay' album is one of these fag new wave cool things. like hating jamie oliver. remember when he got big and he was cool for about a day before suddenly someone said 'jamie olivers a dick!' and started slagging him off for being in adverts?

I've given the album a few more listens now and it's magic. also, del, 'be here now' is a brilliant album. just because some 'in the know' people say that it's shite doesn't mean it is. I bet you've listened to to it twice at most, and to be 'anti-popular music' say that it's shite.

and also, coldplay are only popular because they are good! bands like the backstreet boys or westlife shift units because they are record company cash cows, and appeal to little girls and house wives because they appear in 'SMASH HITS!' and 'hello' (probably). they don't sell records and tickets to gigs because they wrote some brilliant songs and played some superb gigs. instead, they were marketed in a particular way to appeal to girls and young children everywhere in order to shift units.

Coldplay, on the other hand, got their big sort of break from their mercury music prize nomination. There's no way you can say that 'yellow' isn't a magic song, for instance. i just think the anti-coldplay people are in it because it might make them look uncool to say they like them.

i do agree with the u2 comment though, and this similar sound can only be a bad thing! it works within the album though. i hate u2 though. their early stuff was really good. but now. hmmmmm.....

x & y is ace.

bollocks i've always hated coldplay.

and be here now does indeed rock (in places) i never said it was shite, the point i was making was that at the time of its release it was overhyped to fuck (fast sales, critics creaming over it to sell mags etc.) and found its way into bargain bins very quickly indeed. i'm not saying thats gonna happen to 'X & Y' but i guess i cant see what all the fuss is about.

Guest bluesxman

I bought their first 2 albums and thought they were OK but they don't keep me really interested and going back to them a lot as my favourite music does, can't remember the last time I actually listened to them. I heard the new single and am just not feeling any desire to buy the new album at all. It has nothing to do with thinking they are shit or otherwise, it's just the same as the Oasis album, I just have no interest. May buy it when it is a fiver from FOPP.

The Scientist is still one of the most beautiful songs I have heard though.

i think the 'i hate coldplay' album is one of these fag new wave cool things. like hating jamie oliver. remember when he got big and he was cool for about a day before suddenly someone said 'jamie olivers a dick!' and started slagging him off for being in adverts?

I've given the album a few more listens now and it's magic. also' date=' del, 'be here now' is a brilliant album. just because some 'in the know' people say that it's shite doesn't mean it is. I bet you've listened to to it twice at most, and to be 'anti-popular music' say that it's shite.

and also, coldplay are only popular because they are good! bands like the backstreet boys or westlife shift units because they are record company cash cows, and appeal to little girls and house wives because they appear in 'SMASH HITS!' and 'hello' (probably). they don't sell records and tickets to gigs because they wrote some brilliant songs and played some superb gigs. instead, they were marketed in a particular way to appeal to girls and young children everywhere in order to shift units.

Coldplay, on the other hand, got their big sort of break from their mercury music prize nomination. There's no way you can say that 'yellow' isn't a magic song, for instance. i just think the anti-coldplay people are in it because it might make them look uncool to say they like them.

i do agree with the u2 comment though, and this similar sound can only be a bad thing! it works within the album though. i hate u2 though. their early stuff was really good. but now. hmmmmm.....

x & y is ace.[/quote']

Coldplay are not only popular because they are good but because they are safe enough to be popular on such a scale, sitting comfortably next to cunt williams in record collections, or maybe replacing that dusty lighthouse family cd that hasn't seen the light of day in a while. There's nothing 'indie' about that. Indie has been redefined to make us believe it's cool to buy this troch.

It's true, the reason Coldplay are so successful is because they alienate no-one. Why would you want housewives casually listening to your masterwork? That's what you get when you don't have anything in sound, image or lyrics that is offensive to anyone, that rebels against anything, that has any genuinity.

I'm not one of these denim-jacketed critters with some mythical idea of "real music", but when you listen to a rock/pop record, you shold be able to tell that a band is playing. The accompanient to Chris Martin's vocals is such a non-descript veneer, that there is no need for Coldplay to exist as a band. They may as well just be Chris Martin and a producer.

It's true' date=' the reason Coldplay are so successful is because they alienate no-one. Why would you want housewives casually listening to your masterwork? That's what you get when you don't have anything in sound, image or lyrics that is offensive to anyone, that rebels against anything, that has any genuinity.

[/quote']

Why should you have to alienate or offend anyone to make popular music that sells records? I'd be happy with anyone listening to my music, never mind housewives! The reason that they appeal to so many people is because they don't break any major boundaries with their music; however the Lighthouse Family comparison is just bollocks. In my eyes the fact they break no new boundaries doesn't stop them from being good - these days there are very few boundaries left to be broken anyway! If you want something more from music then listen to something else and ignore Coldplay.

Mike

Guest Neubeatz

If you hate Coldplay' date=' as I can see many people here do, don't listen to the new album, and turn off your radio/tv when it comes on. If you like [b']indie, get 'X&Y' because it's definitely their best yet .

Mike

Thing is, Coldplay aint indie, Coldplay is consumer drivel, like Big Brother, or Britney,

Why should you have to alienate or offend anyone to make popular music that sells records? I'd be happy with anyone listening to my music' date=' never mind housewives! The reason that they appeal to so many people is because they don't break any major boundaries with their music; however the Lighthouse Family comparison is just bollocks. In my eyes the fact they break no new boundaries doesn't stop them from being good - these days there are very few boundaries left to be broken anyway! If you want something more from music then listen to something else and ignore Coldplay.

Mike[/quote']

Christ, I knew someone would pick-up on my use of the word "offensive". I don't mean it in the way it's used to describe Eminem (although rock is by definition a nocturnal, counter-culture youth activity, and should offend housewives by being so). A voice which is lower than that of your average girl-group member can be offensive to the ears of the casual listener, as can lyrics which are vaguely poetic, i.e anything which is genuine! Coldplay are so safe they could have been designed by Reader's Digest as the ideal beat combo for their readers

Ironically, I think that REM, U2, Coldplay and even Madonna are the visible acts which are best advancing pop-music. I just can't get over the aforementioned gripe I have with Coldplay

Ironically' date=' I think that REM, U2, Coldplay and even Madonna are the visible acts which are best advancing pop-music. I just can't get over the aforementioned gripe I have with Coldplay[/quote']

Aye fair enough. I can definitely see why some people don't like it, as TV and radio has a horrific habit of over-exposing their music horrendously to the point where even if you do like them you end up getting sick of it. As long as they don't turn into U2 ten years down the line, who these days make me laugh. Their music is incredibly sub-standard and Bono is a self-righteous prick.

Mike

Guest Mr Blastcap

cold play ? they look like engineering students. dull. i like pink though, shes good at singing. chris martin is a wanker, not as big a wanker as albarn but close.

jj, clean out your ears you mummy's boy.

Why should you have to alienate or offend anyone to make popular music that sells records? I'd be happy with anyone listening to my music' date=' never mind housewives! The reason that they appeal to so many people is because they don't break any major boundaries with their music; however the Lighthouse Family comparison is just bollocks. In my eyes the fact they break no new boundaries doesn't stop them from being good - these days there are very few boundaries left to be broken anyway! If you want something more from music then listen to something else and ignore Coldplay.

Mike[/quote']

What is bollocks about it? You can't deny that the same type of people would buy both. All I'm saying is that it's not indie music. It's as mainstream and pop as it comes and the fact that record companies want to turn everyone else into Coldplay is tragic. It's not as easy as you suggest to ignore it but by-fuck I've been tryin'!

What is bollocks about it?

What's bollocks about comparing Coldplay to the Lighthouse Family is that Coldplay are a band who are writing songs that I challenge the majority of bands out there at the minute to better. Pop songs maybe, but fucking good ones at that. The Lighthouse Family however were a shitty pop-lite act whose only two hits 'Lifted' and 'Ocean Drive' were just fucking twaddle; the sort of music mum's whistle along to in their people-carriers when they take their fifty kids to school. The Lighthouse Family probably lasted about 4 years, and thats being generous. Coldplay have been around for five now and are about to become the biggest British band in the world.

Fair enough, loads of people are into their music but I don't see that as a bad thing. Maybe you should get yourself some earplugs and a blindfold thebeard ;) It's not gonna be easy ignoring them over the next year....

Mike

Just to chuck in a couple of thoughts...

What's bollocks about comparing Coldplay to the Lighthouse Family is that Coldplay are a band who are writing songs that I challenge the majority of bands out there at the minute to better. Pop songs maybe' date=' but fucking good ones at that. The Lighthouse Family however were a shitty pop-lite act whose only two hits 'Lifted' and 'Ocean Drive' were just fucking twaddle; the sort of music mum's whistle along to in their people-carriers when they take their fifty kids to school.[/quote']

Don't you think that Coldplay is the type of music that mum's whistle along to while taking their fifty kids to school in their people-carrier as well? I'd imagine that plenty of mothers would be listening to the radio during said task and Coldplay are a favourite on there soooo...

Why is it such a bad thing that mum's listen to your music with their kids on the way to school anyways? My mum would listen to Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell in the car but it doesn't make them rubbiss :D

The Lighthouse Family probably lasted about 4 years' date=' and thats being generous. Coldplay have been around for five now and are about to become the biggest British band in the world.[/quote']

Then again Oasis have been around even longer than both and were touted as/probably were the biggest British band in the world for a while and look what happened to them...

;)

is it just me or does anyone else notice that quite a lot of coldplays singles all sound alike.

Also why is it that Chris Martin reckons that writing on his hands will solve the debt problem in developing countries. I'm surprised he hasn't started writing on his child... or has he?

Other than that I've got nothing against them.

What's bollocks about comparing Coldplay to the Lighthouse Family is that Coldplay are a band who are writing songs that I challenge the majority of bands out there at the minute to better. Pop songs maybe' date=' but fucking good ones at that. The Lighthouse Family however were a shitty pop-lite act whose only two hits 'Lifted' and 'Ocean Drive' were just fucking twaddle; the sort of music mum's whistle along to in their people-carriers when they take their fifty kids to school. The Lighthouse Family probably lasted about 4 years, and thats being generous. Coldplay have been around for five now and are about to become the biggest British band in the world.

Fair enough, loads of people are into their music but I don't see that as a bad thing. Maybe you should get yourself some earplugs and a blindfold thebeard ;) It's not gonna be easy ignoring them over the next year....

Mike[/quote']

You aint getting my point at all so I'll leave it there. Jeez...