aberdeen-music

Guitar Cabs

Flash@TMB

EDIT: Oops just realised I left this post slightly ambiguous and wide open to trolling...

In order to make things a little easier for bands we've decided to purchase a couple of guitar cabs. Thoughts are two Marshall 4x12" 1960AVs. These seem to be pretty much the industry standard cabs with great flexibility and versitality.

OF COURSE PEOPLE WILL STILL BE WELCOME TO TAKE THEIR OWN CABS INSTEAD SHOULD THEY CONSIDER THEM TO BE CRUCIAL TO THEIR SOUND!

The idea is to:

1) Reduce changeover times and hassle.

2) Means less for bands to lug around.

3) Looks neater than beer crates.

4) Less karting stuff up and down from the cellar.

This is to make life easier for 95% of the guitar players that are happy to work with these cabs. It's not intended to please some 13 year old Internet troll.

These cabinets are switchable between mono or stereo. THAT CHOICE WILL BE ENTIRELY AT THE DISCRETION OF THE GUITARIST... but in stereo mode it's possible to plug into just one input and thus run on one speaker channel thus enabling the amp can be turned up higher on stage to provide a stronger signal to the desk and less mic bleed without drowning out the rest of the band. LIKE I SAID - THAT CHOICE WILL BE ENTIRELY AT THE DISCRETION OF THE GUITARIST. SO THERE'S NO NEED TO START A 15 PAGE FLAME WAR. IT'S JUST A SUGGESTION! There may be free drink in it though.

We do not intend supplying amp heads as everyone has their own preference. The existing combos will remain available to anyone with a broken amp, or even without an amp.

Yeah we're also going to go with the power break option. Of course anyone that doesn't know what a power break is should probably be using one LMAO!

We also have an outstanding requirement to fit power breaks relating to our NAO.

*cough* the idea of the power break is to facilitate running the amp at it's optimum output independent of volume.

Purchased 1 Marshall 4x12" 1960 AV cab and one Marshall Powerbrake this afternoon. Went with the Marshall powerbrake cos it's guaranteed not to damage the head. What a fuckin amazing little box BTW :)

The other cab and Powerbrake are on order.

Also though "Fuck It" and decided to get some nice strong reliable heads too since the combos have been breaking down and causing grief. Have ordered a Marshall DSL100 head and *get this* an Engl Powerball 100W head http://www.engl-amps.com/engl-amps/ - just for something completely different. These are both on order.

These will be for use at the open mic, and also if anyone wants to use them during a gig. The DSL100 is pretty common so it might save someone humping theirs down to the bar.

Also bought a house tuner that's a little too large to accidentally disappear ;)

So Keilan - if you're still reading this then there's no need to lug your Marshall cab down tonight.

Our new monitors should also be with us at long last by the end of next week.

Well that just blew me away. I didn't realise we had been experiencing a problem with our guitar sound, until last night when we added the Powerbrake and heard and felt the difference that it made. It really brought out the power and vibrancy of the guitar. You could feel the sound travelling right through your body. Can't wait for the next gig now! I cannot believe that the Powerbrake made such a difference. Will be fun revisting various amps and seeing what they REALLY sound like!

The source is the most important part of any system regarding sound quality.

We also tested the stereo mode theory and it works great really concentrating the sound into the mic. The mic is only pointing into one cone, so you want to drive that cone as hard as possible.

Thinking about an Ampeg now with a 4x10 angle cab...

http://www.ampeg.com/products.htm?product=112&catid=31

http://www.ampeg.com/products.htm?product=98&catid=22

(stupid?) Question for MTA - do we put a Powerbrakie on this too?

I don't think you can power break a bass amp...I mean it has to be all valve to power break in the first place and alot of bass amps aren't all valve. Then you have to watch out for output power. Attenuators I am familiar with all have power ratings and usually in the 50-150watt range...obviously bass amps tend to be in the 300w + range...and in the case of the Ampeg well that's just mamoth power wise...plus there would be no benfit as you usually you aren't trying to push a bass amps power stage into saturation.

Cant think why a Powerbreak on the bass wont work' date=' That svt amp Is one of the best ever bass amps by far, Cab looks good but also look at the classic 810.[/quote']

The 810 would really just be showing off :D Would be seriously sweet though! Would you be micing the bass cab? It would be too good a tone to lose to DI....

Tav's right about the difference in wattage between guitar amps and bass amps...although a cranked valve bass head sounds just as desirable as a cranked valve guitar amp! :love:

How about a nice vintage Ludwig or Slingerland Jazz kit, and in-ear monitoring systems :p

I don't think theres much change from 250....they work by being able to take the load your amp is expecting to dish out to a cab, and then control the actual volume going out...so you get that great natural distortion of a cranked valve amp at a controlled volume....its a trade off for output distortion of a speaker though, which is the second piece of the puzzle....

Like Keilan said...you can crank your valve amp to 8 or 10 which would induce deafness no doubt....it then goes into the attenuator that dispates some of the power. Thus what comes out your cab is at the level of having your amp at any volume you want...from silent to full on. Its used because valve amps sound best running near flat out.

There are better products than the powerbreak though...THD Hotplates and the Mass Attenuator by Weber being the two to note.

There are better products than the powerbreak though...THD Hotplates and the Mass Attenuator by Weber being the two to note.

The reason we went with the Powerbrake was because it is guaranteed not to damage the amp. Some attenuators cause problems with impedence. And since a lot of people will be using their own amps I though it was only fair that we had the reliability aspect covered.

Would you be micing the bass cab? It would be too good a tone to lose to DI....

I believe these amps have a valve pre-amp stage thus the built-in DI also sounds good... but in theory we could do either.

How about a nice vintage Ludwig or Slingerland Jazz kit' date=' and in-ear monitoring systems :p[/quote']

How about you suck my cock :p

The reason we went with the Powerbrake was because it is guaranteed not to damage the amp. Some attenuators cause problems with impedence. And since a lot of people will be using their own amps I though it was only fair that we had the reliability aspect covered.

Its def. the easiest option & a good choice I am sure. I was speaking to one of the guys in RnBs and he said playing one of the reissue heads with it was amazing.

You should check out https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/atten.htm just for interests sake. Mind you since you've had Deadenstero <sp?> at The Moorings you might have seen Craig with the older model? It was he who orignally pointed me to the site. Acctually uses a real speaker motor and has features like switchable impedence...gets me jazzed!

So whats the chances of the Ampeg? Then I'll be DYING to play The Moorings just for the equipment as well as the venue.

Its def. the easiest option & a good choice I am sure. I was speaking to one of the guys in RnBs and he said playing one of the reissue heads with it was amazing.

You should check out https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/atten.htm just for interests sake. Mind you since you've had Deadenstero <sp?> at The Moorings you might have seen Craig with the older model? It was he who orignally pointed me to the site. Acctually uses a real speaker motor and has features like switchable impedence...gets me jazzed!

So whats the chances of the Ampeg? Then I'll be DYING to play The Moorings just for the equipment as well as the venue.

Going to check out to site now.

The Ampeg is a go-er just need to finalise which model, any suggestions?