aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Sons and Daughters-Lemon Tree 10/6/05

Ears still ringing...shirt still stuck to my back...neck still sore after keeping optimum viewing position all night (sorry to those of you stuck behind me all night :p)

A very good gig by S+D tonight. Good to see the Lemon Tree at capacity for one of Scotland's most promising bands. The band got stuck into the meaty stuff straight off with "Medicine", and proceeded to play what must be their entire catalogue. The only gripe I would have is that "Dance Me In", "Rama Lama"and "Johnny Cash" were almost thrown away mid-set, when they should have kept at least one of them in reserve to perk up the crowd during the weaker material.

They're not the finished article yet. Although they obviously put heart and soul into all their performances, the songs from "Love The Cup" sound somewhat primitive and undercooked compared to "The Repulsion Box". But I guess I'm just nit-picking. It was a great, lively gig (attended by what looked suspiciously like 99% of the clientele at Exodus) and I hope they head back to Aberdeen soon in a bigger venue.

One final note about the support band, Mother and the Addicts...there are already enough bands out there who look and sound exactly like XTC. The inclusion of one or two Dead Kennedy's riffs didn't fool me. Get some looser trousers and find a sound of your own, for God's sake.

Dave your absolutely right, there setlist choice was def not the best but they still were amazing. This is the first time i saw them and they are so musically talented and very charismatic. Hopefully they can keep going and go from strength to strength. Best LT gig in a while.

I was more or less dragged along, so I perhaps wasn't really in the mood, but I thought it was one of the most boring gigs of my life. They sounded exactly like the Subways, who I actually managed to half-enjoy when I was dragged along to see them. And the female singer's voice was the most annoying thing I've heard in my life. Perhaps she was just turned up too loud, but I winced every time she went for a really high note.

Quite disappointing really cos I'd have liked them to be good since they're Scottish. I didn't think there was anything particularly shit about them (apart from the ear-piercing shrieks), there just wasn't anything about them to garner my interest. They need to learn to write songs with riffs instead of relying purely on chords.

That's what I thought anyway.

I really enjoyed it, but the sound wasn't the best. Her soft velvet voice was lost in the guitar, but her screaming blew out your ear drums.

still, it was a damn good gig and I'll definitely be going to see them again if they are ever back.

pete

yeah, i totally agree on the singing point. buh, this was the only real problem though.. apart from the set seemed to go on for a BIT too long, but maybe that's just because i was irritable - it was so hot!

Keira, a bit too long? You obviously enjoy paying money for minimal setlists I take it? ;)

Hummer, you obviously have no conception of what a riff is, all of their songs are practically based on a repetitve groove, which is basically what a riff is. A repeated chord progression is indeed considered a riff.

But enough of this riff-raff (arf!). I totally enjoyed myself. They all have an electric stage prescence and I certainly buy into Adele's screamy moments. Pulsating stuff. I agree their Love the Cup material can get weak at times, but one of my favourite songs of theirs is "Blood", which was a good finale. And then to Malc Middleton! Huzzah! It was so packed which is good to see. First time I've seen him (or heard most of his material) and quietly impressed; a healthy difference from Arab Strap but retaining much of their good points. Not impressed by those sitting in front of the stage. Piss off.

One final note about the support band' date=' Mother and the Addicts...there are already enough bands out there who look and sound exactly like XTC. The inclusion of one or two Dead Kennedy's riffs didn't fool me. Get some looser trousers and find a sound of your own, for God's sake.[/quote']

I caught them at Drakes with Sultans Of Cripple if I'm recalling correctly and agree completely with the above statement.

Just the one support last night?

Yes indeed. I think they were interesting though, frontman had a bit of charisma, and Graham Norton was on rhythm guitar...;)

Keira' date=' a bit too long? You obviously enjoy paying money for minimal setlists I take it? ;)

Hummer, you obviously have no conception of what a riff is, all of their songs are practically based on a repetitve groove, which is basically what a riff is. A repeated chord progression is indeed considered a riff.

But enough of this riff-raff (arf!). I totally enjoyed myself. They all have an electric stage prescence and I certainly buy into Adele's screamy moments. Pulsating stuff. I agree their Love the Cup material can get weak at times, but one of my favourite songs of theirs is "Blood", which was a good finale. And then to Malc Middleton! Huzzah! It was so packed which is good to see. First time I've seen him (or heard most of his material) and quietly impressed; a healthy difference from Arab Strap but retaining much of their good points. Not impressed by those sitting in front of the stage. Piss off.[/quote']

well said, also i dont think they sound anything like the subways as he mentioned, yeah def not anything like the subways. Not that subways arent good like

I didn't catch much of Mother and the Addicts after turning up pretty late, but from what I heard they sounded rather good. However, having seen them before in Drakes with the Sluts of Trust, I think their appeal was lost in the bigger venue.

Sons and Daughters were actually pretty disappointing too last night, they were definitely better last time I saw them. It just felt like the sound was wrong, and the singer's voice was all over the place because of it. She actually gave me a headache from all of her screaming.

Plus, it was far too warm and crowded with people who had absolutely no interest in doing anything but shout to their friends at the other side of the bar/room which made me rather annoyed and made it seem as if their set was dragging on, even though it most likely was not.

Apart from that though, they were really good, their songs are just so damn catchy!

I'm probably extremely biased but I really enjoyed the gig. It's the 4th time I've seen them in Aberdeen. A couple of mates and I seemed to be the only ones singing but then Dave (the drummer) gave us drumsticks after which was cool. I was so pleased they played some material from Love the cup like La Lune and Broken bones. Very friendly people too. Mother and the addicts.. well what can you say about a band with song titles like Fuck me momma I feel ugly? Their look to me was Franz in 10 years time after letting themselves go...

Their look to me was Franz in 10 years time after letting themselves go...

thats exactly how i'd describe sons and daughters.

Their look to me was Franz in 10 years time after letting themselves go...

Oh stop it. By comparing everything to Franz you're only elevating them higher. I'd hazard that the members of Mother and the Addicts are younger than the members of Franz.

As for their sound, Mother and the Addicts condense the best elements of Franz, while all that Sons and Daughters share with Franz is being from Glasgow and being funky

Hummer' date=' you obviously have no conception of what a riff is, all of their songs are practically based on a repetitve groove, which is basically what a riff is. A repeated chord progression is indeed considered a riff.

[/quote']

riff (rĭf) pronunciation

n.

1. Music. A short rhythmic phrase, especially one that is repeated in improvisation

I thought Sons and Daughters were nowhere near as good as the last time they played the Lemon Tree. What was with the blokes pirate style vocals? And Adele's screeching recalled the worst moments on a Crass record, i.e. whenever the females started 'singing'.

Mother and the Addicts were quite good I thought but agree that all the jerky rhythm stuff has been done before by Gang of Four, XTC, etc. But then again can many bands come up with anything that isn't derivitive of something already done?

I thought Sons and Daughters were nowhere near as good as the last time they played the Lemon Tree. What was with the blokes pirate style vocals? And Adele's screeching recalled the worst moments on a Crass record' date=' i.e. whenever the females started 'singing'.

Mother and the Addicts were quite good I thought but agree that all the jerky rhythm stuff has been done before by Gang of Four, XTC, etc. But then again can many bands come up with anything that isn't derivitive of something already done?[/quote']

You could hear when he spoke that his natural voice was an octave below laryngitis, so I don't think he could help singing like that. Adele didn't screech like a harpi all the time, only when it was necessary, which was thankfully often. Even if she looked like Margaret Thatcher, she would still have given me the horn with a performance like that

You could hear when he spoke that his natural voice was an octave below laryngitis' date=' so I don't think he could help singing like that. Adele didn't screech like a harpi all the time, only when it was necessary, which was thankfully often. Even if she looked like Margaret Thatcher, she would still have given me the horn with a performance like that[/quote']

Hmmm, well I never thought the screeching parts were at all necessary! Personal opinion I guess!

I thought they were awful. First time i've left a gig early.

Sound was awful, singers voice was dreadful and I didn't feel any charisma from them at all.

Very dissappointing because I was really looking forward to the gig. I loved "Dance Me In" and i'd stumbled across a few other songs "Johnny Cash" and "Broken Bones" which i'd liked but they just didn't do it for me live.