aberdeen-music

Pre Amp / Power Amp

Tav

Pre Amp / Power Amp / Cab

I have been considiering what to purchase when it comes time to get a new amp set up. I am looking for something that will be versatile and allow be to play a variety of styles...mainly aimed in the rock area though.

I like the idea of a modeling pre-amp like a Rocktron Repli-tone, Vox Tone Lab or a Line 6 pod. Obviously these are great for practicing/recording with but I will want to run a cab from them as headphones aren't appealing all the time so, I will need a power amp.

What I was wondering was does anyone have any suggestions for a power amp that isn't insanely expensive and will have suffcient power so that when combined with a cab I could use it in a live/practice situation. What power out puts would I be looking for?

Next comes the cab. Something like a Marshall 1936 with two 12" speakers would be an ideal size. Can anyone recommend any cabinets or speakers? I have been look at various celestion's without coming to any conclusions.

Does anyone use this set-up? Is it worthwhile?

look around for a second hand marshall 20-20 poweramp. it should be perfect for any small-medium gigs and perfect for practising with. plus its got tubes, so it'll give the pre-amp of choice a nice warm sound

as for your choice of pre-amps, i'd get a pod XT. supposedly waaay better than the Pod 2.0

Originally posted by Mouse:

I'm still sticking with my suggestion for Tav to get a Marshall AVT-100. You can play grindcore to country to blues to hard rock as it's so versatile & the tone is brilliant everytime!

i hate mine. the clean channel sounds okay but thats about it. i wish i'd kept my fender amp.

I don't need a tube power amp as it's only really a tube pre-amp that matters in this kind of set up. If I bought the vox, which is looking likely if it lives up to the rave reviews it has been getting, then the pre-amp/power amp and even a dummy speaker load are taken care of in it...all the power amp is doing is boosting the signal with hopefully as little tone colouring or addition of warmth as possible.

well the way i would go about it...

get hold of an amp modelling preamp, somehting like the Behringer V-amp pro (my choice) or the Line 6 POD pro, these will give you all the amp models you will ever need, along with cab modelling and some fx to play with

since these are basically an all in one unit, a guitar based poweramp and cab will colour the tone, and then lose the point in having cab simulation...

so what you would use would be a PA style full range rack mounted power amp, this will sit nicely in a rack case with the pre and amplify the sound as intended, the bonus is that these are also usually cheaper than the equivalent wattage guitar power amp

then some monitor/pa style cabs to give you some lovely noise, you could either buy a normal pa cab, or get hold of some full range pa style speakers and switch them into a cab of your choice

David

Yeah the PA power amp would work but I think running through some celestion guitar speakers would be fine since the frequencies being produced are guitar specific so the celestions would be best suited to reproducing them? But then at least with PA speakers you're getting close to a transperant out put which is what you want I dunno...hence why I started this thread...just trying to find the best way to go about it.

Originally posted by Tav:

Yeah the PA power amp would work but I think running through some celestion guitar speakers would be fine since the frequencies being produced are guitar specific so the celestions would be best suited to reproducing them? But then at least with PA speakers you're getting close to a transperant out put which is what you want I dunno...hence why I started this thread...just trying to find the best way to go about it.

PA speakers are made to produce full range sounds, ie everything from bass to trumpets and more.

Guitar speakers are only designed to produce guitar sounds, so cut off lots of extrra frequencys that are extra or sound bad (try playing guitar through a stereo and it will sound poo...)

so even thuogh a guitar speaker will work fine, they will still colour the sound of the moddelling device, which is already making the sounds of the speakers, so the resultying sound wont be as good as it would eb with full range speakers

the main problem is that all guitar speakers sound different, and colour the sound in different ways...

you can turn off the speaker sims on vamps/pods, but i would prefer to get full range speakers that let me use the cabs of my choce (as you can mix and match cabs in the preamp to get loads of different sounds)

so yes, you can use a guitar cab, but it wont let you use the modelling device to its full potential

David

Originally posted by Tav:

Right so modelling device into a power amp <not had any suggestions yet> then into a cab with PA speakers...I could see that working.

yep, that you good to go

not too sure on what power amps are good value or whatever, the best bet would be to ask somewhere like harmony central and see what they say there

what your looking for is a half decent wattage (pa's will be designed to need much bigger wattages than for just guitar) rack mounted poweramp

David

Well, there's two options here.

1) You could get a programmable pre-amp thing like the Marshall JMP-1 (Always on Ebay), and a guitar power amp and guitar cabinet.

For a guitar power amp I'd say either that 20/20 Marshall amp or a Peavey Classic 60/60 (or maybe 50/50 - can't quite remember what the model is) - should be pretty cheap, reliable and inexpensive to repair. If it's rock stuff the Marshall amp would be a good idea as you would get some nice power amp distortion.

For the cabs, a 1936 would be good, but you could get two 1x12" cabs and maybe run some kind of stereo setup (maybe with a rack processor?) Plus you can just use 1 of them for practising if you can't be arsed lugging two around. I personally use a head and 1x12" cab for ease of transport.

For rock, I'd recommend Celestion Vintage 30 speakers (60W power rating). I've got one in my cab, sounds nice, use it for recording and everything.

2) The POD thingy's. Yeah, you're best to use a small PA setup for that. Once again a power amp (Peavey CS-400? - 2x200W) and some cabs. Here, getting a stereo power amp and two sets of cabs would give yo a kick ass stereo setup as I'm sure the pods and stuff can run some cool stereo delays and stuff. You need to cough up for the floorboards though. You have the choices between the rack one and the normal one. I think the rack ones have more connections and stuff - but that they are more for recording? I may be wrong here.

If you like the sound of the PODs then go for it - as for gigs you can just take that and plug straight into PA - that would be total heaven doing that compared to lugging amps and stuff, plus the sound man will thank you for keeping stage volume down. PLus if the venue has a vocal only PA, then you take your own PA system. A 400W power amp would easily be loud enough and can be had for cheap. I've been looking at Peavey CS-800 amps, and supposedly they are very reliable, and I've seen quite a few going for 200 second hand, so a less powerful model should be even cheaper than that.

Personally I'm not so keen on the POD sounds after trying to use them in the studio and hearing quite a few people use them live, but you have to be pretty pikcy to notice the diference. They are very versatile though.

Craig