aberdeen-music

A Discussion On Lava

lava p.

okay, some of you are probably aware that kef is going to be refurbished, it looks like the booths are gonna be removed and a couple of other things will happen.

out of interest, can you let us know what you liked about lava and why we should change it back to lava.

shall we re open the balcony?

did anyone like the seating along the back walls?

be honest, be open and tell us what you really think and why.

thank you.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I used to go to a lot of gigs at lava, not really that many at kef. I don't think kef is that much worse, when i went to the reuben gig recently i remembered how much i liked it as a venue, there just hasn't been as many bands i've wanted to see since it's chenged to kef. The seating area was good between sets to sit and have a drink, but too many peopel did stay up stairs and watch the bands from there. So I'd maybe like to bring back the seats but not be able to watch from upstairs.

I look forward to seeing dive dive at kef in a couple of weeks

the biggest problem in the lava days was that people sat upstairs instead of heading down to catch the bands which often left downstairs a bit empty because you could hear everything fine from upstairs. then the booths got put in which meant you could no longer do this, but the booths were, to be frank, a shite idea. they took up a lot of space and gave nothing for it.

any reason in particular for the refit?

/x

i preferred the open balchony there was a lot more space then, maybe leave the ones at the top bit beside the door but def get rid of the other ones as spoonie said they take up space and really give nothing back. I do also agree that with the balchony people did stay upstairs sometimes but i dunno i felt the place had more of an atmosphere when it was like that.

i think the booths through the back should stay where they are

but the ones that are where the balcony used to be should be removed and that area

should be opened out again..

also...

perhaps the railing downstairs should be removed and the floor downstairs should be re-done

so then the entire of the downstairs area was the dance floor

instead of their being two seperate bits..

it's a bit annoying when you cant get from the door down to the stage area

as there are loads of people crammed into the bit by the sounddesk

:up:

maybe put a bar downstairs again too... so you dont have to go back upstairs to get a beer...

I reckon the sound desk should be permanently fixed where the engineers can see the stage for all gigs, save the poor buggers running back and forth during some of them. The lighting for gigs can be quite poor at times with bands being in virtual darkness (perhaps a good idea for some) maybe some of the lights can be re-pointed at the stage or rearranged. Realise the difficulties of space and having to move gear back for club nights.

the lighting is poor and the general consensus is that it could do with a good clean .

The dancefloor could do with some attention too, its got big fuckoff holes in it! The bouncyness is fun but I sometimes wonder if it's all gonna collapse one day. The bar downstairs was good too!

The balcony used to be cool, I would like to see it come back, which would definately encourage people to go downstairs more often, I've been in there so often when upstairs has been packed, but downstairs is virtually dead...but then again, you lose the capacity to have 2 different types of music playing upstairs/downstairs at the same time, which was nice...

The narrow entrance onto the dancefloor is a pain the arse, especially with it being right next to the door in.

I've always found the booths a bit weird personally, the ones between the bar and where the balcony used to be could be scrapped and changed for open seating or something...

Whatever happens can only be an improvement on what is, in my opinion, the best place to go in Aberdeen!

The narrow entrance onto the dancefloor is a pain the arse' date=' especially with it being right next to the door in.[/quote']

so what would you think about an open balcony with stairs from the balcony descending down onto the bottom floor, that may ease the bottle neck.

so what would you think about an open balcony with stairs from the balcony descending down onto the bottom floor' date=' that may ease the bottle neck.[/quote']

Excellent idea - full open balcony, extra set of staps, more seatin in the top area, and a fucking downstairs bar.

so what would you think about an open balcony with stairs from the balcony descending down onto the bottom floor' date=' that may ease the bottle neck.[/quote']

yea that would be neat, especially if the stairs went down the opposite site to the existing stairs - that and the balcony would totally alleviate the slightly claustrophobic feel of upstairs since the booths arrived.

The main thing that always got to me was people standing on the steps to the dancefloor, or right infront of the doorway next to it.

The main thing that always got to me was people standing on the steps to the dancefloor' date=' or right infront of the doorway next to it.[/quote']

But there was that perfect sweet spot just at the top of the steps, behind the barrier and next to the old sound desk that gave you a perfect view of the band, perfect sound and good view of the pit!

Oh' date=' and you may actually have to get some more bands playing - Moshulu has definately stolen your thunder....[/quote']

only because they are probably paying more money than us, we have survived over 8 years as a self financed venue and will survive another eight.

at the end of the day we are still pretty much the first choice venue for the new and semi established acts on the touring circuit.

thats been our way since day one and we are quite happy with that. we know where the market is going and thats why we are asking people's opinion's.