aberdeen-music

Damon Albarn critcises Geldof

Inkster

I agree with Albarn completely. Thing is Geldof plays the media circuit very well' date=' using emotive speeches, influencing sympathetic opinion, not that that hasn't been done before.[/quote']

I totally agree, what a boring bunch bunch of has beens on all the line-ups. Does Elton bald twat need to sell another 100billion cd's exploiting dying African children.

Why is it Africa is associated with such negative press, when there are soo many great things happening there?

Apart from Yusour N'dour, whre's all the fantastic african artists???????

I don't really think that's the point of the whole exercise

Well im sure that Geldof does want to make money for african charities...

But there is no denying that all the acts are just looking to cash in on good publicity...they all look concerned...but there not...or they would have done their own benifit gigs in the past

Apart from Yusour N'dour' date=' whre's all the fantastic african artists???????[/quote']

Like Live Aid, most Black artists have refused to play for some reason, it's not like they weren't asked...

My opinion on Geldof is that he is an arse, but he's doing it for a good cause. Unfortunatley, I don't think that the protests/gigs are gonna change the minds of the G8. I'd much rather have Bob do all this stuff than release any new material.

But there is no denying that all the acts are just looking to cash in on good publicity...they all look concerned...but there not...or they would have done their own benifit gigs in the past

to be fair most of these people that are involved have done a lot of charity gigs etc in the past, this ia about awarenss raising and the fact we're talking about it, and therefore the G8 summits been mentioned on here again proves that to a point its working. I don't know Bob but have crossed paths with his co-organiser Midge Ure several times in the past few years, as Jo's just done 20 odd dates with him, and from everything I've seen he is someone who truly believes in all this, he takes frequent trips to Africa to try and raise awareness and he isnt doing it just for the PR or record sales,

Cheers

Stuart

Oh yeah, I agree. Everyone comes out looking good. It IS a PR exercise after all. (Not just for the cause, but for the artists also.)

The point I was trying to make is that it's not about putting on a musically great gig, it's about attracting artists with the biggest fan base over the widest demographic base in order to create maximum awareness.

Even if the G8 do not change anything at least awareness has risen, pressure been lobbyed etc.... and that will be deemed a success.

wot happened to helping the ppl in our country on the streets first?

What makes "our" people more deserving of help? We're all human theres no difference. Personally I'd like to help the most in need first, the millions suffering from aids/ poverty/ drought/ famine in afirca would be right at the top of that list. (imo)

That's the view to take laddy, that's the view. Considering we live off crippling other countries through debt, trade, sanctions, and of course we fucked up Africa when we took it for ourselves, but nevermind, we matter more. Berlin act 1884 I believe.

History should be a leason, instead it's forgotten.

It says Damon Albarn is playing because Bob Geldof put him down on the list without asking him.

My personal opinion is that it's a good cause if done for the right reasons and from Geldof and Ure's side they are doing it out of the goodness of their heart (although I still think if people like Bono donated half their savings then it would go along way to helping the poor) but i still think (and this is quoting Albarn) "Record companies should be putting money into this for their artists to play because they will benefit in the long run from extra cd sales". I think the artists may or may not be doing this to exploit themselves or doing this cos they actually want to help but this whole thing is doing what it was meant to do...raise awareness.

Inkster.

p.s. The French have surpassed themselves again by not letting them use the Eifel Tower.

It says Damon Albarn is playing because Bob Geldof put him down on the list without asking him.

My personal opinion is that it's a good cause if done for the right reasons and from Geldof and Ure's side they are doing it out of the goodness of their heart (although I still think if people like Bono donated half their savings then it would go along way to helping the poor) but i still think (and this is quoting Albarn) "Record companies should be putting money into this for their artists to play because they will benefit in the long run from extra cd sales". I think the artists may or may not be doing this to exploit themselves or doing this cos they actually want to help but this whole thing is doing what it was meant to do...raise awareness.

Inkster.

p.s. The French have surpassed themselves again by not letting them use the Eifel Tower.

The record company thing is a fair point but Bob Geldof doesnt run the record labels no point in complaining about it with regards to him, and I'd still wonder if someones on Albarns management agreed on his behalf then was too scared to call off when he said no...

Cheers

Stuart

I don't think you can say that every single band are doing this to get a bigger fanbase. I don't really think paul mccartney is doing this so he sells more records. I have to agree with Damon and top marks for saying something and rejecting doing it because he believes its not for the right reasons. However i cant see any harm coming from this, nobody will come out worse from it. I dont think theres anything wrong with organising a gig full of the 'top bands' and having a good time about it.

with the kaiser chiefs playing at the us gig' date=' i think they must be goign for a profile boost

there are others too but this was one that stuck in my mind[/quote']

yeah i would def agree with you there, of course in a situation like this there will be bands who are doing it for publicity but not every other band as some people seem to think

to be fair most of these people that are involved have done a lot of charity gigs etc in the past' date=' this ia about awarenss raising and the fact we're talking about it, and therefore the G8 summits been mentioned on here again proves that to a point its working. I don't know Bob but have crossed paths with his co-organiser Midge Ure several times in the past few years, as Jo's just done 20 odd dates with him, and from everything I've seen he is someone who truly believes in all this, he takes frequent trips to Africa to try and raise awareness and he isnt doing it just for the PR or record sales,

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Just happened to mention Jo playing with Midge Ure there.... Nice bit of promotion... Hmmmmmm

:nono:

Class act!!!

Oh no! They live in cardboard boxes! Danny, that was a really silly thing to say. The difference is that the people on our streets have soup kitchens, temporary accommodation, help, food etc.

Just happened to mention Jo playing with Midge Ure there.... Nice bit of promotion... Hmmmmmm

:nono:

Class act!!!

Get over it, I backed up my point with a fact, very simple, and as you missed it, I'll repeat it, in the last year I've had many dealings with Midge and I believe his reasons for doing it are the right reasons. The Jo comment was just to back up why I had reasons to think this first hand.

The gig is to raise awareness and it's done it, simple, therefore the gig is a success...

Cheers

Stuart

Bob Geldof had a lot to do to win me over on this one tbh, but the speech he just gave at the end of a great interview with Jonathan Ross tonight was one of the best things I've heard on tv for a long time. Mr Albarn now just sounds like a bitter little boy who has totally missed the point, to me at least.

Forget petty crap about who, what genre, what style or what colour of musician is playing, there is a far bigger picture. The whole thing is about what is the best way to make as many people as possible aware of how fucked up the world's priorities are. I think Bob is doing a better job of that than Damon.

" If 50,000 children died every day in Manchester, or 50,00 children died every day in Turin, etc. you can bet that between breakfast and lunch they would have stopped it"* All they have to do is stop asking for the interest on the loans we gave them years ago. Not even cancelling the loans themselves, just the interest payments ffs. Thousands are dying because we are asking for more than we gave them. It is that simple, we now just have to let them know that there is no excuse for them not stopping it.

*paraphrased, cos I can't remember it exactly, but that's the gist...

Bob Geldof had a lot to do to win me over on this one tbh' date=' but the speech he just gave at the end of a great interview with Jonathan Ross tonight was one of the best things I've heard on tv for a long time. Mr Albarn now just sounds like a bitter little boy who has totally missed the point, to me at least.

Forget petty crap about who, what genre, what style or what colour of musician is playing, there is a far bigger picture. The whole thing is about what is the best way to make as many people as possible aware of how fucked up the world's priorities are. I think Bob is doing a better job of that than Damon.

" If 50,000 children died every day in Manchester, or 50,00 children died every day in Turin, etc. you can bet that between breakfast and lunch they would have stopped it"* All they have to do is stop asking for the interest on the loans we gave them years ago. Not even cancelling the loans themselves, just the interest payments ffs. Thousands are dying because we are asking for more than we gave them. It [i']is that simple, we now just have to let them know that there is no excuse for them not stopping it.

*paraphrased, cos I can't remember it exactly, but that's the gist...

Damn, I would have like to have seen that, i think that everyone who's going on about the financial aspects of this and bands getting publicity are missing the point, lthe bands who are doing it, in general are the one who need the publicity least, the bands were chosen for that fact, becaue everyone knows them worldwide in general and thats whats needed to create awareness.

Cheers

Stuart