aberdeen-music

chilloutdeathdeath

jimr

It seems to me that week after week at moshulu the chillout room is becoming less and less chilled. Its all very well hearing other people speak, I can contain myself at this small irratation, but when I have an utter fanny jumping about on the seat next to me and screaming into my ear I feel the need to unsheath my belt, twist it round her neck and swing her around in a circle beating everyone else to death with her corpse.

The music isn't loud, understandbly, but surely this should encourage people to lower their voices, apparently not. When music actually comes on that i want to hear, (kudos to whoever played dismemberment plan and broken social scene last night) Said girl from above paragraph feels so inspired that she increases her voice to drown out the already quiet music. It was at this point that I necked my pint and decided that sitting at home watching jack dee was far a superior plan.

I believe the only way things can change are through extreme measures that may infringe on civil rights but will be a benefit to all of society. Perhaps shock rods? anesthetizing shots? Sawing off of legs? Non admittance of people with extremly loud voices?

Righty, this was rather pointless as I really don't care all that much, I just felt the need to get rather drunk last night and wasn't quite able to due to the annoyance factors. I'm not enough of a regular to really bitch all that much, but for some silly reason that i can't quit fathom, i'm going to post this complaint anyway. Most likely because i'm incredibly bored and have bugger all else to do that doesnt envolve getting out of my dressing gown.

frogs

can kindof see ur point,as sometimes the music is so loud that people have to shout over it while other times its so quite it seems like people of shouting. But people; when drunk do tend make a noise, doesnt matter where the hell they are, just havin a laugh. Just seems like didnt have much fun, dont blame it on the poor drunken fools who did!!:)

Hi there,

Yeah, it's a tricky balance to maintain. When it's half empty, it's easy - I try to play it so it's loud enough to soak up and listen to, but not too loud to obscure conversation. When the back room is packed (like it was last night) it's a problem - The background noise makes it hard to judge how it's sounding throughout the whole room (especially from the DJ booth). I tend to try and walk around the room to hear how it's sounding, and think on the whole the volume level is about right for the room.

There were a couple of large groups obviously having a lot of fun in the back room last night - To be expected in a night club, obviously. It's a pity it dulled your enjoyment of the music, though. I was aware of them, and tried to balance the music in response though. Kinda hard, as you rightly point out, when people raise their voices with the music anyway!

To turn this constructive, do people feel that the ambience of the room plays a part in this? Is it too light, too open etc? Do you think the music getting played is having a part in this? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts!

Ta!

last night was a little too loud in the "chill-out" room. more than once i commented to my friend on the somewhat excessive volume. doesn't help that i'm fairly soft-spoken anyway, and my voice gets lost in the abrasive "choons" that get belted out.

however, last night was positively silent compared with last saturday...what the fuck the dj's were playing at i don't know. it would go from some horrifically too loud bad punk cover of some already poor 80's classic into 250bpm rave music. i shit you not, if you weren't there you'll not appreciate how awful it was.

i was under the impression the back room was supposed to be a quieter alternative to the main room, which i understand is supposed to be loud...but really, last saturday was just taking the piss.

the general ambience of the back room i find pretty agreeable...on occasion i feel it could do with being a little brighter, but then, sitting in another part of the room, it's all right. one gripe i do have is that the bar is too wide...having to lean way over to yell in the bartender's ear, over the music and therefore drink orders being wrong's not particularly fun, but yes, better be grateful for what there is in terms of "alternative" clubs...having said that someone came and asked me "where could i get some ekkies..." twice. not particularly alternative...but hey :D

Originally posted by alex.:

250bpm rave music. i shit you not, if you weren't there you'll not appreciate how awful it was.

the rave music in the chillout room did blow..

ekkies guy last night was kinda confusing.. especially when he sat down with us looking entirely spaced out. still think he got lost on his way to drum..

hang the djs! especially that emo loser fag of a friday night one! i will admit to cranking it a little in accordance with the crowd volume. as long as the bar staff aren't struggling to hear me and i can hear myself talk aloud when sitting near all of the speakers i assume it's reasonable. my hearing isn't the greatest anyway so don't be afraid to let me know if it sounds more like the end of the world than a nicely themed area where one can soak up a few cold ones and enjoy the banter. answers to alun's questions would be appreciated too.

I like it in the chillout room when Sean and Alun place ace stuff, some of which I've actually heard of. Like Sonic Youth, Mogwai, Thrice acoustic stuff, um...there's more but I can't remember now. It's Saturdays that are crap, cos the DJ just plays lotsa metal which just happens to be exactly the same as the metal that's played in the main room. They should just turn on the speakers in the chillout room and pipe in the main room music. Or better still, get the chillout room on a Saturday turned into a punk/emo/hardcore zone. Now that would rock.

last night was a little too loud in the "chill-out" room. more than once i commented to my friend on the somewhat excessive volume. doesn't help that i'm fairly soft-spoken anyway, and my voice gets lost in the abrasive "choons" that get belted out.

Aye, it's hard to keep track on how it sounds in the room from the DJ booth - The sound there is totally different (we're nowhere near the speakers, really). I'll echo what Sean said, though - If it's too loud, just let us know :)

i was under the impression the back room was supposed to be a quieter alternative to the main room, which i understand is supposed to be loud...but really, last saturday was just taking the piss.

Yar, on Friday nights it is chill out - Saturdays are a law unto their own, and the music is definately not aimed at being chilled. The second room was used prior for Hip Hop on Caged nights before it the chill-out room started on Friday nights at Bond*age - I guess as more people go to Bond*age it's become associated with chill-out and not much else.

Originally posted by Kai:

It's Saturdays that are crap, cos the DJ just plays lotsa metal which just happens to be exactly the same as the metal that's played in the main room. They should just turn on the speakers in the chillout room and pipe in the main room music. Or better still, get the chillout room on a Saturday turned into a punk/emo/hardcore zone. Now that would rock.

Saturdays in the back room rotate between DJ Fluff and the Jim/Sheena symbiote, the latter pull quite a lot of people into the club, probably because they have lots of friends. It has been commented that Fluff plays a lot of the same stuff that the Lucifer symbiote play in the main room, but y'know, none of us are mind readers (my powers are limited to superhuman agility, optic rays and nigh-invulnerability); so maybe a tighter (or looser) remit in the back room is good idea.

Well no offence to Fluff (how rock a name is that?), but I think there should be something slightly less metallic in the chillout room. Imagine if Moshulu was a strip club. Blonde chicks might be your favourite, but you still need the brunettes and the black chicks to add a bit of variety. In other words, what the chillout room needs is naked women o_O

however, last night was positively silent compared with last saturday...what the fuck the dj's were playing at i don't know. it would go from some horrifically too loud bad punk cover of some already poor 80's classic into 250bpm rave music. i shit you not, if you weren't there you'll not appreciate how awful it was.

2nd & 4th Saturdays in the backroom are me and Broken_Doll's 'Xenophon' night. Our priority is to put on a fun night, to play music that you won't hear elsewhere, and yes - we play a lot of cover versions to keep it from being too obscure.

We have a lot of people come to our night, because it's their only chance to hear some of the more obscure, non-commercial stuff - so we're not setting out to play 'chillout' music. My personal attitude is that there's plenty of time to chillout when people get home - but that's just me.

Anyway - I am sorry to hear that what you heard was not to your taste ... as for the volume issue - like Nullmouse said, it gets hard to judge when the room is busy ... it sounds a lot quieter in the DJ booth than in the corners of the room, and when the background noise gets louder, there is no option other than to play louder. Also our night usually has a lot of people dancing, and it's hard to dance when the music is really quiet. Having said that, we don't want to make conversation an impossibility, so we'll try to ensure we don't burst any eardrums in future :)

meh, i think the main problem with the back room in moshulu is that most of the seats are against one wall, so *everyone* is over there and all squished up, so you invariably end up next to a) a practically fornicating couple b) a pile of coats that threaten to smother you or c) some drunken loon who insists on engaging you in conversation.

music wise I like it, Xenophon is always amusing, 'name that cover version' is fun :)