aberdeen-music

Interchangeable musicians

jester1470

I'd just heard that Marillion's keyboard player is playing keyboards for Travis at their Isle of Wight Festival gig, a strange one. I was even more surprised to discover the reason why was because Travis' keyboard player Adam Wakeman (yep the son of prog God Rick) is off on tour with Black Sabbath... Isnt it incredible how good musicians are interchangeable into just about any genre.

Also Marillion's drummer once stood in for Kula Shaker's drummer too... or was it vice versa...

Anyway struck me as interesting...

Cheers

Stuart

Ach everything will be pre-programmed for him on the keyboards...he'll just have to turn up and press a button like Fletch in Depeche Mode...

I doubt it's quite that simple or they wouldnt have to pay for someone like him to do it, just take some bloke with slight knowledge give him 100 quid and the biggest gig he'll ever play and plonk him down.

Cheers

Stuart

Isnt it incredible how good musicians are interchangeable into just about any genre.

Stuart

Not realy, Anyone who can play a musical instument to a medium degree can play any genre they want. Being able to play every genre of music dosent make you good, being able to WRITE music in ever genre makes you a talented musician. Any fool can play something that another person has wrote and given them to play.

I can see what you mean in some ways, but the bands you mentioned ie. travis, are not difficult to perform...

aye but he only had to play it once and leave it programmed on the keyboard

It would have been quite impressive if his keyboard in 1983 had the kind of capabilities you're talking of when Script was released to store a full 2 hour set. Mark Kelly does use samples and triggers ocassionally but not that often, he leaves that to Steve Hogarth's midi cricket bat. For anyone interested in gadgets see Stoke Row to Ipanema DVD about the gloves.

We have a keyboard player in Baby Karma and damn good he is too and he plays everything, not a sample or a trigger, just because the technology's there doent mean everyone uses it.

Cheers

Stuart

ye corpse stuff is crazy difficult to play. But i can garunte travis couldnt write a corpse style death metal track' date=' and i can garunte corpse (when they had jack) could write a travis type track.[/quote']

shite do you know the Travis guys personaly?

Do you know what all of their fav bands are or even how good musicions they are, just cause they are a pop band dont mean thats all they can do. Plus, whos to say this band could write a travis song? you cant really say that until youve heard them do it surely.

It would have been quite impressive if his keyboard in 1983 had the kind of capabilities you're talking of when Script was released to store a full 2 hour set. Mark Kelly does use samples and triggers ocassionally but not that often' date=' he leaves that to Steve Hogarth's midi cricket bat. For anyone interested in gadgets see Stoke Row to Ipanema DVD about the gloves.

We have a keyboard player in Baby Karma and damn good he is too and he plays everything, not a sample or a trigger, just because the technology's there doent mean everyone uses it.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Ahh the rest of it was prolly on C60 tapes!

Forgot all about the gloves they were ace...

Is Marbles worth hearing then?

Ahh the rest of it was prolly on C60 tapes!

Forgot all about the gloves they were ace...

Is Marbles worth hearing then?

Personally i dont really rate Marbles that much, but i think Hogarth mumbles too much vocally on it although there are some pretty good songs, and it's their best since 1997's 'This Strange Engine'. I prefer Fish's Field of Crows.

Cheers

Stuart

shite do you know the Travis guys personaly?

Do you know what all of their fav bands are or even how good musicions they are' date=' just cause they are a pop band dont mean thats all they can do. Plus, whos to say this band could write a travis song? you cant really say that until youve heard them do it surely.[/quote']

Most musicians I've met have stated it's more difficult to write a commercial 3 minute pop song than a big epic song, primarily as you have to try and put certain elements etc into the song, and encompass it all in a short period of time, as well as making it something to appeal to the masses.

Cheers

Stuart

Personally i dont really rate Marbles that much' date=' but i think Hogarth mumbles too much vocally on it although there are some pretty good songs, and it's their best since 1997's 'This Strange Engine'. I prefer Fish's Field of Crows.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Cheers, just saw it being advertised again and wondered. Field of Crows is ace.

Guest DustyDeviada
Funniest one I heard was that Emma Forman once tried out for vocalist of Element 106! (serious)

The R&D boffins at Beyer Dynamic would have to be working round the clock to come up with some sort of super-mic to allow Emma to be heard over Element. :)

Plus' date=' whos to say this band could write a travis song? [/quote']

Having heard Travis' singles over the last few years it seems that even Travis can't write a Travis song anymore.

Field of Crows is very surprisingly good, especially Exit Wound! We even had Cloud liking that when we played it in the Moorings!

Mark Kelly ain't bad but he's jot exactly the best keyboard player ever. his solos are piss-easy but he has a way of making them sound tough, especially on Script and Fugazi, after that his keyboard playing lost any virtusoity until Brave appeared, which I think is the record he plays best on, with some gorgeous piano sounds especially. (Qualities like that are as telling of talent as speed of your playing.)

If its a discussion of best keyboard players, its Tony Banks, end of story. No-one plays with such expression.