aberdeen-music

a random 'dr drakes is ace' google find

The Ghost Of Fudge

from the g.u. medecine site... it's from a tour manager's perspective...

"Next day we started early again, Aberdeen seemed like a drive to the end of the world. Six hours later and we were still 100 miles off; fuck me this was a long way. Got to the venue at around 17.30 and needed to set up, hence no digs yet. Fortunately mother superior came to our rescue (Sharon) who rang round for us and found a guesthouse for us to stay in. The night was wet, the journey was long but Aberdeen was Bastard brilliant!! The local band were very good (The Band from Uncle), Apes rocked up with a different set to the night before, and every band that plays THE DRAKES after us will be playing in the open air. We just blew the fucking roof off and everyone loved it. A long way to travel for us, even longer for The Apes but let me tell you it was worth every mile. Great venue, great people, great night, thanks to Sharon and the boy's at The Drakes and all you people who put your hands in your pockets, we will not forget! The next morning we returned to The Drakes to pick up our gear from the club load up and set off for Southport. Raining again, does it ever get light in Aberdeen?"

i was doing a search on the band Open Air, and that came up.

ahh, here's another. this is possibly the only time i will be thanked for sound in print. as it were. :)

it's from the indafusion website. indafusion rule. www.indafusion.co.uk

"I fuckin' love Drakes. It's a brilliant wee venue, and this was the third time we'd played there. Good crowd - met some people who'd seen us last time and who came along again to see us play.

The other bands, Flight 19 and Ken Hutchin were lovely guys and bought CDs, as did a proportion of the regular crowd. Feels nice to be able to give people a physical manifestation of our music after trekking up to play for them.

Flight 19 really impressed us - it's that kinda intense emo guitar-flailing thing the like of which I've heard before, but they were seriously excellent, with super-duper harmonies and more energy than a box of frogs. KH were more of a grungey punk band with a very loud drummer and chunkiness in spades.

We had a very good gig indeed - short and rocking but with a bit of fannying about - Gary sending me texts from behind the kit (huh!) Felt relaxed and happy, and it made up for the dead gig in Forres. Swings and roundabouts y'see?

Props to Sharon for the gig and for being lovely, and to Brian for sound and kind words. Drakes rules."

• 4 weeks later...

Kinda related but not. At the download festival this year i got a little bit drunk and lost after black sabbath, drunkenly stumbling around trying to find my tent i came across a nice english couple. They asked me where i was from, so i told them aberdeen and straight away they started asking about drakes. Now i had to break the bad news to them that it had shut down and they were in fact gutted.

The guy said he'd played up there a few times, struggle to remember the name of the band due to my drunkeness. It was a bit surreal being lost in the middle of a field in england and getting into a conversation about drakes with some random english people.

Dr Drakes was excellent

My favourite place to see bands/ DJs /films and gig ,I miss it like a dead friend, but there's so many good memories the sadness soon dissipates.

Besides...there's always other interesting things going on if you look around in the underground.

• 2 weeks later...

i was just talking to mikko from Finnish rock machine Boomhauer (not the ex-Dundonian lot).

he says, "I definitely remember Dr Drakes, it was a great little venue (perfect for a band like us), but I heard it's closed now, that's a shame."

boomhauer kicked ass. no doubt they still do.

this thread has become pretty random.