aberdeen-music

em, gardens?!!!!!!!!!!

Hog

Guest *alex*

I don't...

but, i'm at home in Denmark just now, and my parents have strawberry plants, and apple trees..and a herb garden.. :D

yeah my folks have a cottage out near torphins, last year they grew tatties, onions, carrots, garlic, tomatoes, cucumbers, some peppers and loads of herbs too. it's dead easy to do. last year was their first time doing vegetables, this year they've probably gone for double what they did last year.

best from last year was definitely potatoes and onions - fresh onions taste so much nicer than supermarket ones. tomatoes looked good too - but i don't really eat them a lot.

planting spuds was the easiest - you just build a few furrows in your earth and place a spud about 8" deep every 2 feet or so along the furrow. you'll be surprised how much produce you can grow from a relatively small patch of earth.

Guest AmbientMood

I usually plant mangos and bananas around about june. They're pretty difficult to grow, but with my personal kind of Titschmarsh-esque skills, anything is possible.

We grew alot of berries at my dad's. Didn't have a need to grow veggies since he was a farmer anyway so that's what the fields were for :p

But aye, in the garden we had:

Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackcurrants, Redcurrants and Gooseberries. There was also a plum tree but it didn't always yield any fruit. :)

I do...used to, when I lived in the deen...Missing my garden, seriously.

I loved runner beans, courgettes and carrots...Strawberries and ruhbarb grows like a mofo in my back garden.

I've found that sticking stuff in the ground, and picking the weeds is all i need to do. (perhaps some slug pellets, but I don't like using them, as they can poison birds too)

planting spuds was the easiest - you just build a few furrows in your earth and place a spud about 8" deep every 2 feet or so along the furrow. you'll be surprised how much produce you can grow from a relatively small patch of earth.

watch out for spuds though, they spread like a muther fucker...

if anything, keep them in planeters, you won't get rouge tatties....that keep popping up year after year.

We had an allotment near Torphins too, all kinds of stuff.

Loved growing carrots and beetroot. Fresh tatties and peas and leeks were ace. Spring onions, and lettuce rows and rhubarb and spring greens and courgettes. Remember doing lots of weeding, and caterpillar killing. Now i can only keep herbs alive, and have just killed off a batch of chilli plants. Do green fingers disappear with age?

Really want garden house. Only have plant pots on grimy balcony now, but the rocket is good at least...xxx

My gran knows all this shit... I'll take her to the next Spike gig for you Hog.

Quality! I can grow apples and make my own Cider. Should keep you and Jake happy :rockon:

What song would you're Gran like from the Spike set?

Im wanting to grow....

Tomatoes (because the Tescos tomatoes are shit and not even red)

Courgettes (because I love them)

Plums (so at least someone can suck my plums) :D

Apples (so I can make Hog cider for Dayeth and Jake)

Melons (hehe, just kidding)

Strawberries (because they are yum)

Beetroot (because they have got antioxidant properties and are tasty)

Carrots (So I have night vision)

No, Im not using gardening to try and get laid

back in the day when i didn't live in a flat in glasgow, we used to grow all manner of veg at the old cottage outside laurencekirk. tatties, peas, broad beans, carrots, onions, shallots, beetroot,

fresh peas taste immense and dad used to make pickled onions from the shallots. they were vicious!!

there's something really satisfying about making soup and sitting back knowing that you made all the ingredients for it yourself. apart from maybe the stock cubes, cos they don't grow that well on the east coast.

gardening was a great hobby of mine but since we all moved away from home and dad works offshore, there's noone to tend to the garden now so it's been turned into a patch of fruit bushes and trees. they're great too tho, and take very little maintainence.

/x

i remeber a good few years back, me and my dad decided to grow some carrotts. they didnt get that big, but i do remeber them being rather tasty!

home tatties are good too, but a bitch lifting them out! if you have alot, you get a sore back..