aberdeen-music

aberdeen-music.com - test broadcast online

Neil

This is just a quick online test so I can get an idea of quality and reliability of the Shoutcast streaming provider. I'm currently just streaming some random MP3s from my computer through the new server that will hopefully be used to relay aberdeen-music.com broadcasts. If you are reading this message then the broadcast is still happening so please tune in and take a listen using the URL below:

Test broadcast has ended

If you try to listen to the broadcast then please take a minute to post a reply to this thread letting me know the following:

1. Did you manage to listen to the audio stream?

2. If you did, how reliable was the connection? Did it continuously buffer? Disconnect?

3. How good was the sound quality? Sound as good as CD or as bad as a dodgy radio?

There are no special requirements for listening to the stream. Most decent media players can listen to Shoutcast streams. e.g. Windows Media Player, WinAmp, iTunes etc

You will need an ADSL connection to listen to the stream. You *might* be able to tune in over a modem connection but I doubt it will be very pleasurable listening!

If you do get prompted to download or open the listen.pls file then choose to open the file and play it with your media player of choice.

Thanks for taking time to do this everyone. It is very much appreciated!

1. Did you manage to listen to the audio stream?

2. If you did' date=' how reliable was the connection? Did it continuously buffer? Disconnect?

3. How good was the sound quality? Sound as good as CD or as bad as a dodgy radio?[/quote']

01.I managed to listen to the audio stream.

02.I've been connected for 10 minutes and counting continuously.

03.Sound quality wasn't quite as good as a CD playing on my PC and was a tiny bit fuzzyish but overall was listenable indeed.

No surprises that Nine Inch Nails was on though ;)

Great feedback, thanks to everyone for testing this out so far! The relay server isn't reporting any underruns which is a very good sign that people are making perfect connections to the server.

For those of you having problems connecting with Windows Media Player, what version of Windows Media Player are you using?

As far as sound quality goes then technically, it should be listenable but certainly not CD quality. It should be around the same audio quality as if listening to FM radio with a decent signal strength. Would you all agree?

Guest onlynik

Winamp didn't play it. Just started with my mp3, however once I'd told it to open the URL it worked fine.

Interpol for christs sake!!!!!!!!!!

With i-tunes it's saved in the library and it's easily connected again by selecting it... quite a nice idea. I'm guessing it's going to be a permanent feature with people taking the turn of broadcasting their songs of choice? Or a more conformist disc jockey approach?

Yep, when it is up and running for proper than people will be pretty much be allowed to do what they like, play what they like and say what they like. Obviously if someone just takes the piss then they won't be allowed to broadcast again though.